GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

John...snow soon? Plenty up in the mountains already and been there for several weeks. Fortunately not down here...yet. I can wait.

I've no doubt all that background information will assist you in getting it right, and if it looks right then it will be so. Too much information tends to confuse and the essentials harder to identify.

And, once you've worked out in your mind the back story I look forward to seeing this develop in your own inimitable fashion.

My regards,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that thought ought to be given to whether or not bottle beers will be the greatest output of Flann's Flavourful Brewery or cask ales, distributed locally by horse dray. Bottling plants might take of a lot more space [supposition only]? Neddies need stabling...?

Hmm,

Doug

Hi Doug

I imagine that in 1947 most of the output of a small/medium sized brewery would be in barrels. I think Bottled beer was primarily for national brands....I do recall as a small boy playing with empty bottles of Bass (Red Triangle?) and Ind Coope Double Diamond. There may be room for a small bottling plant

I am very tempted to have some drays in the yard. Horse drawn transport was still very prevalent just after the war. Our milk was delivered from the churn by pony and trap (and we didnt live in the country) and the weekly dust bin cart was hauled by a couple of horses.

Stabling is an issue.....it may have to be off scene.......the project is designed to serve as a shunting puzzle so the rail sidings dominate the foreground and road access is a bit limited!

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

Someone on another site sent me a sketch of rhe processes at Hook Norton Brewery. There is more up and down movement than I had thought. I think will have another attempt with my mock ups......dispense with the connecting corridor and create one larger building but with 3 separate sections and roof lines........back to the drawing board!

I was just about to suggest you looked up Hook Norton Brewery. One of the last tower breweries. Just up the road from me. Interesting tours. Good beer too.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to suggest you looked up Hook Norton Brewery. One of the last tower breweries. Just up the road from me. Interesting tours. Good beer too.

Rich

Thanks Rich......its a brilliant site....packed with useful information and some great photos

The challenge is to somehow replicate the key features using the Scalescene Warehouse kit as a base

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The absence of an update does not necessarily indicate lack of activity on Granby. In fact, in this case, quite the reverse.

The recent RR&Co upgrade has a number of great features...... more accurate braking and stopping plus a new feature where a loco can be instructed to move back or forward a specified distance (1/2 inch) at crawl speed........it makes coupling and uncoupling with a Kadee shuffle so smooth its almost imperceptible......but it does take a while to set up icon_rolleyes.gif.

In addition to all this "testing"  I have been working on the the new Dean Goods and almost completed installing the Brassmasters cab back in the 72xx.........neither without incidents of course......I think its best that I recount them in separate posts.

So here is a brief brewery update. My thanks to everyone who proffered advice or gave me some very useful links to breweries.

Hopefully my model will be finished well before 2019 when we will be visiting the UK. Nevertheless I have already started negotiating with Mrs D about some essential visits icon_lol.gif.......why would one visit Stratford on Avon, for instance, without first going here?

post-465-0-50313500-1512489224.jpg

Hook Norton Brewery

Brilliant site with a really useful schematic of the brewery process.

https://www.hooky.co.uk/our-beers/brewing-process.ashx

Certainly made me rethink some of my ideas.

I think I can build something that might bear some resemblance to Hook Norton. I will use the Scalescene Warehouse kit for the brick built lower levels.......the roof elements with all those gable windows and ventilation units will be more of a challenge! icon_eek.gif

I dont propose running a stage by stage account of the first part of the build.........just check back about 15 pages and you will find an account of one of the warehouses I have built from this kit.

Hopefully it is sufficient to remind you of the basic Scalescene technique of assembling multi layer laminated walls.

Here are the three elements that will make up the 3mm thick front wall of the centre section.

post-465-0-58999100-1512489261_thumb.jpg

Even with the window blanks still lots of cutting!

Front and side roughly in position

post-465-0-43861800-1512489285_thumb.jpg

Some will immediately recognise the striking resemblance to Hook Norton icon_rolleyes.gif  Others may require a little assistance!

The grist mill tower on the right will be topped by a Dapol Water Tank (Cold Liquor storage!). The sack hoist will be inserted in the un-windowed section. Its all brick papered because I am not sure how wide it will be.

Similarly the left hand side only has windows at the top because a two bay unit will be added. This will house the "coppers" where hops are added to the mash and boiled.

I am torn between putting the roof and vents on to this centre unit before constructing the buildings on either side. Although it will be more tedious, I suspect the common sense approach will be to continue cutting out windows!

Regardless of this vital decision the next post will be about my HUGE tank .....the 72xx

Regards from Vancouver where the incessant rain has stopped and its cold, crisp and sunny

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, sorry for asking an obvious question but how big is the room?

The actual room is 24x10. The layout itself occupies 18x10 an outside door prevented me using the entire room.....although I keep looking!

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes guys....much appreciated. Taken a break from the brewery this week, apart from all the cutting....... Mrs D wanted her kitchen back.

So I finally got round to finishing the 72xx

You may recall that my only disappointment with the loco was the missing bunker door and rather poor widow grilles.

41003071_1RearAngle.jpg.29abfb79557274f84cb9b3143413b8c4.jpg

728521284_2Oldbackcloseup.jpg.ed319ef67f23bdbf1c0f106f32a0d2e4.jpg

I decided to buy the Brassmasters detailing etch

1378501822_3Fret.jpg.80f786f84c1a3a12c46df30f2996e4df.jpg

The etch includes a number of improvements to the under frame. I just focussed on the cab back wall and bunker.

You can see it in the etch......bottom right corner and virtually ready to plonk......although I did have to punch out some rivets. Brassmasters helpfully include some test rivets to practice with in the etch border. You can see my attempts at the top.

The cab roof was moderately easy to remove....it was just held in place with a couple of dabs of glue

1838811349_4Openrearwindows.jpg.c16a985140332e97e4e741d6ba243b99.jpg

Removal of the roof made it easy to pop out the glazing and grilles. The window openings had to be opened up a bit with a file to match the larger (correct) openings in the etch wall

1893733566_6GrillesandFender.jpg.f3386e115b4fd73720d8c8caf7a08658.jpg

Sorry about the yucky green....photoshop went mad http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

The wall in place with grilles superglued.

Having created the 72xx by welding on a bunker extension, the GWR subsequently added a fender guard to further increase the coal capacity and also protect the top lamp bracket! Creating the curves in the brass etch stretched my technical ability somewhat but I am reasonably happy with the result

731320149_8Painted.jpg.04ce5f51718a3c5f94a995428c47f881.jpg

Crew inserted, roof glued back on and the wall and fender painted. The join between wall and roof is a little obvious and I should really have been more careful with my test fitting.

The observant will note the loco has also lost its engraved number plate. When it came off I put in a "safe" place on top of the roof where I wouldnt miss it.........which I promptly did the following morning when I picked the loco up http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_eek.gifhttp://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_twisted.gifhttp://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_eek.gif  Not a happy day...........fortunately I found it a few days later amongst the deritrus that accumulates under my work bench.......I also found one of the front steps that had gone AWOL. I rushed out to buy a lottery ticket but sadly I had used all my luck that day.....not complaining mind.

Next step was the addition of real coal, class D Head Lamp codes and some pretty heavy weathering to reflect the grime accumulated during the war years........

Job done....... I spent a happy afternoon testing 7226 as she hauled 46.10 Up mixed freight from Birkenhead Docks .

Here she is passing Granby sheds

1998835438_9weathered.jpg.907ed659073f058cd4e92f6e534c71d4.jpg

and heading over the viaduct

886039471_10rearview.jpg.c831eced420dc7ed38db3c463704be30.jpg

I took a load more photos of the "testing" . Will post some more when edited..

On balance I think the ten quid spent on the Brassmasters etch was money well spent. http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/small.gif

Best wishes from Vancouver where, unlike the UK, it remains cold but sunny......longest dry period since the summer!

John

Edited by john dew
29/9/2022 Photos
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The 72XX looks great John.

Having seen your handiwork, I will now order a Brassmasters kit.

This is one at the top end of my "chipping" list so it's now gone from a "light" to a "general" maint period. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for the likes etc guys.......very re-assuring......kit building of any sort is not my forte and I am very much a tyro at weathering. It was particularly gratifying to get such nice compliments from three of the guys whose work I so admire.......thanks again chaps!l 

What great news from Dapol.....a new Mogul and Large Prairie.....I imagine either (or both) Bachmann and Hornby will be scratching their heads this morning........pre-emptive definitely springs to mind.

Here are the additional shots of the 72xx with 46.10 Up freight

Its one of my long established schedules, previously hauled by the 28xx, that completes a slow, stately circumnavigation of the layout.

These shots follow the train round as it emerges from the storage yard 

1162936807_1GranbyBank.jpg.1d0e8ee798acbfe69f55afd24410afee.jpg

Trundles past the Goods Warehouse

263058174_2GoodsWarehouse.jpg.ed2c7942709f68f26baa85c67262742c.jpg

1889357070_3Gantry.jpg.275e251bc33487d2e6f76c288ab7781b.jpg

606120001_4Warwell.jpg.da25110f062ec049ee9e022033766113.jpg

The empty Warwell doesnt mean my little tank is still disrupting traffic in Station Road.......the decals have finally arrived and once I have decided what legend I can use for a single tank from a disbanded Armoured Division travelling in North Wales  http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif   it will get dollied up and crossed chain restrainers fitted

2073562565_5bypub.jpg.c0acc635c0b13e72fe1eeff60c0ad853.jpg

1537149669_6Platform.jpg.8ccdc520948d7412c844d55f4974fe40.jpg

1837840152_11Viaduct.jpg.e548d3d18fa0b1939e476ccbdb0c23cb.jpg

170408548_8Train.jpg.732150198828c97c107e16114f73602c.jpg

1890458015_8Viaduct.jpg.1a5c2b32e89c2e8ea2551db65185c742.jpg

431618654_10Brakevan.jpg.68e7332d23073bba8980cf147a910aaa.jpg

Its not really a long freight by prototypical standards....a little over 5 feet in total......but hopefully these shots convey an impression of something rather longer. Here is a Black and White that ,I think, best conveys the spirit of Granby.

1944293132_7BW.jpg.81dd186c8576ec72cab2d3458a9230d7.jpg

In other news the Dean Goods is now chipped (after much fuss) and weathered. As I write this it has been slowly crawling back and forth on my profiling track.........it took over an hour to make two passes at a scale 2mph.  My  Vallejo paint dries faster....however it is an amazingly smooth runner.........more on this next week

Edited by john dew
29/9/22 Photos
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I think I could actually like that big GWR lump of a loco, and see, it is possible to take 11 photos of Granby and only get a Pannier in just one of them. I think that is a ratio you should keep aiming to meet Mr Dew...

That black and white shot is an absolute cracker by the way!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I think I could actually like that big GWR lump of a loco, and see, it is possible to take 11 photos of Granby and only get a Pannier in just one of them. I think that is a ratio you should keep aiming to meet Mr Dew...

That black and white shot is an absolute cracker by the way!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Not sure how I managed to do that.......I think some were cropped out......rest assured I will try to not let it happen again!

Cheers

John

ps So glad you liked the Black and White shot

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To finish the year here are a few shots of the weathered Dean Goods with not a Pannier in sight. :jester:

Crossing the Shropshire Union Canal at Richard's Wharf.

1.jpg.e50aa568ee73496937c7503bc940b4bf.jpg

After some experimenting I found that a drop of Brake fluid left on for about an hour was the most effective way of removing the BR decals. It still left a slight impression but after even moderate weathering its no longer noticeable.

I fear the GWR lettering may be the wrong shade for War time Black but Fox Transfers no longer sell the version I used previously.but again the weathering helps blend it in.

In addition to the normal weathering I applied multiple washes to the rather garish silver trim and cab interior.....particulary the brake handle. Lamps,Coal and Fire Irons (well one.....I ran out) were added

3.jpg.269a02502c04e4723ab1b7b569c59da2.jpg

I mentioned the Dean was passing Richard's Wharf.........it was so named recognise all the help that Richard (Wheeltapper), late of this parish, gave me when I was building the canal scene.

Somehow, at this time of the year, it seemed appropriate to take the photographs at the canal and remember an old internet friend. The bricks,, laid  to provide footholds when opening the Lock gates, were one of his many suggestions

2.jpg.ed3bdeecb2677831f0d38afc2ea7bae3.jpg

7.jpg.d04667c61539934448a8944b7212e517.jpg

As always the eagle eye of the camera reveals yet another drunken fence.

6.jpg.1b8a45fd66145b325289b92069a17fa3.jpg

It is indeed a driverless train........not only did I run out of fire irons I also ran out of drivers!

4.jpg.3ff0cabad6753bad78ca745193246b86.jpg

The fireman is one of the splendid Modelu products and I felt the driver had to come from the same stable otherwise the contrast would be too great .......a new supply is winging its way accross the Atlantic

5.jpg.77dce254942ba653a1fc117f6ada5b6c.jpg

I usually end my posts with greetings from Vancouver and a brief comment about the weather

These were taken yesterday morning....

9.jpg.5c4859e64f2b3973e439680b868dd219.jpg

Probably not a white Christmas but certainly a slushy one

8.jpg.8f0beb45262b95dcdcf99867572208b0.jpg

To all who have visited and followed my ramblings during 2017, and particularly those who have commented , my best wishes for a very

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

Edited by john dew
29/9/2022 Photos
  • Like 13

Thanks John for those good wishes.

I'm looking forward to getting my green one running. It will, I think, be quite at home on HRx.

And, your snow and slush is expected to hit here later today. We've had snow and extremely cold for some time. So at least will warm up.

Thank you for your Christmas wishes, John, it's deffo Yuletide now!

Settling into a new house after 15 years is difficult, and now that I have a 'railway room', albeit not on the same scale as Dewshire, do you know, I can't make my mind up what to do.....

Fools rush in, etc., so best wait and see. I'll raise a large glass of S.L.W. to you and my YMR companions of all these years on the 25th, kep safe,

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Lovely job on both the Dean and the 72XX John.  Now that you mention the two shades of GWR lettering fro black engines from Fox I would agree.  I though so at the time but put it down to poor memory. 

Like you, I find that weathering improves in more ways than one: it can hide a few tiny sins as well.

Thanks to your encouraging post on the 72XX detail kit I have one on its way.   

Best wishes to you and all the other fellow frequenters of Granby.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the christmas greetings John, and thanks for all the great images over the past year. That Dean Goods passing over the canal is a fitting finale, and already a favourite of mine.

I fear the GWR lettering may be the wrong shade for War time Black but Fox Transfers no longer sell the version I used previously.but again the weathering helps blend it in.

Correct. Please see the following thread from this post downwards. Fox claim that the transfers without black edging never existed in reality, which I would contest to a degree, but there you go. 

Cheers, 

CoY

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your good wishes......I hope everybody following this thread had a great Christmas and New Year http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/cheers2.gif

This is a very brief post to start the year.

Progress on the brewery......my attempt to construct something vaguely resembling Hook Norton..... has been slow but steady.

The basic structure of the Brew tower is complete. The water tank is almost ready to go on top of the tower. Two big jobs still to be done...the sack hoist and the vented hip roof

IMGP1355_edited-1.JPG.363faf30f2ca67f87173fd12a29cc235.JPG

The Copperhouse, on the left, needs vents on top of the roof and gable windows. Hopefully I can get this done and post some construction shots next week

IMGP1357.JPG.200c395b395fee49d2dc61f6215f8f44.JPG

The three brewery point motors  were finished..a Peco surface mount and a pair of the new Cobalt SS motors

The Cobalt SS Motors merit a post of there own......great idea but my initial experience has revealed a disturbing flaw. After a period of inactivity they "forget" their position and require a double command to initiate......I am writing to DCC Concepts to report this......when I hear back I will write a separate post.

Finally to wrap up my Dean Goods post ......here is a rather fuzzy video showing just how slowly the Oxford Dean Goods can crawl at speed step one......its a bit like watching paint dry but if you want to waste 65 seconds of your life ......play it and see what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqsEnUx8BUE

Regards from Vancouver

Edited by john dew
29/9/2022 Photos
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks like your having fun, John that 72xx rear buffer beam number should be on the right hand side it's another of Hornby "Design Clever" c0ck up.

Happy New Year.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the good wishes Bob. I uttered a few choice words when I read about the numbers on the buffer beam.....I vaguely remember thinking when I changed the last two digits that this isn't the side I normally do! Grrr......oh well one more thing to add to the 2018 list

Kind regards

John