Dapol 142

dave flint

• RMweb Gold

The 142 tooling covers both the earlier and later roof types and both door types will also be catered for. Dapol are excpecting a running prototype to arrive really soon, so it is finally happening!

The OO 68 3D printed body looks amazing - there are already numerous variations within the small class covering handrails and fueltanks that need to be considered. Once the OO version has finished tooling, work will start on the N version.

Dapol had 3D printed Class 142 body shells on display at Alexandra Palace today, and they say they are currently in the final stages of completing the tooling for them, so they are on the way!

attachicon.gifIMG_5326.jpg

Tom. 

I am just too impressed by these. The quality of the 3D print looks stunning. Any idea where such quality prints are done?

...a certain Northern Spirit (I haven't heard of this)

Turquoise with a big lime green "N", fifth picture down in this post. Based in North-East England (including much of Yorkshire) and current from about 1999 until the end of the Arriva Trains North franchise in 2004, then for a couple of years under Northern Rail with the logos removed.

Jim

EDIT: Just found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arriva_Trains_Northern#/media/File:Wakefield_Kirkgate_2.jpg

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

• RMweb Gold

Sounds interesting Ian. Will you be modelling a specific station?

No specific plans at the moment but would certainly prefer to do a real location. It's a few years off though so just slowly collecting items as they are released or discounted.

Edited by roundhouse

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see some progress on these.

Is it just me or are the windows too shallow? On the prototype, the windows are deeper, almost square. Here they look distinctly rectangular.

Hugh_llewelyn_142_056_(6285572409).jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Nice to see some progress on these.

Is it just me or are the windows too shallow? On the prototype, the windows are deeper, almost square. Here they look distinctly rectangular.

I'd agree - unless it's some sort of bizarre optical illusion, it's almost as if they've forgotten about the opening 'hopper' bit at the top of the windows...

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree about the side windows appearing too shallow, though it is hard to judge before seeing the finished product. I'm guessing the window hopper will be painted directly onto the glazing.

The 142 is quite complex around the windows, with the good old Leyland National panels having a slight inward recess, so I hope it comes out OK.

Actually quite looking forward to this one - a major missing link in the N Gauge DMU scene - how many days will it take for the 3D print wizards to knock up Class 141 or 144 bodies for it?

Hey guys,

I can be categorized as one of those who thinks the windows are too shallow. Infact it is. If you look carefully and apply some simple science (i.e. drawings grids) you'll notice that the problem is with the lower part of the body shell. I have divided the shell into 4 parts - lower panel, mid panel, panel that contains the windows and the roof.

If you look at images of the prototype, the lower panel is actually shallow. The mid panel and window panel are the biggest and then the roof. The Dapol model has been incorrectly designed. If you look at the model closely, the lower panel is rather tall.

This then affects the rest of the model like so -
1) The headlights seem to be placed little higher
2) The mid panel has been made accurately but because the lower panels are too tall and the roof also modelled accurately the windows suffer.

Please look at the images I drew up to understand what I mean.

The Class 142 Prototype:
post-21774-0-58861400-1429637204_thumb.jpg

The Dapol Class 142
post-21774-0-96806700-1429637206_thumb.jpg

Infact I think the windows and all have been designed as such because the drive mechanism had to be below window level? Just a theory....

Hope I was able to explain myself and probably the situation..... Ofcourse at the end of the day to me it's a model train and nothing is perfect. I can live with this.

Cheers!
JBM.

PS: Please don't think I am trying to deter people from buying Dapol products. I just had a good think over a cuppa and realized this. So just tried to explain.

Infact I think the windows and all have been designed as such because the drive mechanism had to be below window level? Just a theory....

I hope that's not the case as I'd rather have a model that looks right even if that does mean that the motor is visible.

There does seem to be an issue with the window depth, so I can only hope that this is not the final production version.

Yes, looking again I tend to agree with you. The sharp curve of the track makes it difficult to judge exactly, but here's a rough transposition of prototype against model

attachicon.gifP11.jpg

What they seem to have done does put me off rather a lot!

Could I have a larger copy of that image please?