TouchCab news & updates

• 9 months later...

Do you mean using TouchCab ?

IIRC there are a few people on here using it with ECoS.

Lenz users will be getting the opportunity soon.

And you can talk to Jens about it personally at the LYDCC show in Rawtenstall at the end of this month where he will be giving some talks about it.

You can also see it in operation, controlling Savoyard's Reddering layout.

Paul

Peter,

I am interested to learn more about the Touchcab......and only found out yesterday that it was being demonstrated at Rawtenstall at the end of the month. I have already contacted my fellow dcc pals locally, and about 4 of us are now making plans to visit the show on the Saturday.

I am a Lenz user which makes it all the more interesting.......and this all coincides with my mobile phone contract being up for renewal....I have always previously used "normal" mobile phones, and am currently looking at android and iphones....I need to understand these better first.

I think if I understand it, I need an iphone and not an android if I plan to use touchcab.?

I shall look you up at the exbn.

Bob.

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

I look forward to meeting you on the Saturday and I know Jens will be more than happy to talk to you about TouchCab.

Even though my layout Rederring appeared last year at the show and I hadn't intended to bring it again we decided it will provide a good layout to demo TouchCab on as it has DCC Points and Semaphore Signals. It will be set up for use with both ESU ECoS and Lenz over the weekend so you will be more than welcome to have a play.

TouchCab only works on either an iPhone or iPod Touch and not on an Android device. The iPhone 4S is relased next week so that sounds like perfect timing is your contract is up for renewal. I only use my iPhone as a backup prefering to use an iPod Touch as you don't get any phone calls interupting playing trains. There are new models of the iPod Touch coming out soon so you may be able to pick up a previous model at a lower price.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I seem to have strirred up some enthusiasm within our group for the exhibition, such that a group of 8 of us are now coming along, combining it with an ELR trip too..

I'm looking forward to it....I shall come and introduce myself and say hello.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

That's great and I look forward to meeting you, I'll probably be the one running around like a headless chicken! LOL!

Depending how you are teavelling you could get the train from Bury and the free bus to the school, I've scheduled the bus to depart after the train leaves so people can watch it depart if they wish.

Peter

Hi Bob,

That's great and I look forward to meeting you, I'll probably be the one running around like a headless chicken! LOL!

Depending how you are teavelling you could get the train from Bury and the free bus to the school, I've scheduled the bus to depart after the train leaves so people can watch it depart if they wish.

Peter

Hi Peter,

We already have our itinerary planned.

Dep Uttoxeter 8.07 to Man Picc

Tram to Bury,

ELR depart on 10.40 train

Courtesy bus to the school from Rawtenstall stn.

Our resident organiser plans everything down to the last detail.....we wouldnt travel without him.

Bob

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

Some of you may have been following my thread in DCC Topics on Decoder Pro 3 and Touchcab.

I just wanted to announce that I am finally up and running with Touchcab using my iPhone, and what a success it is.......thanks to a couple of knowledgeable RMweb members.

After only a short running spell I am really pleased with it.

The subject of Touchcab as a whole does seem to have gone a bit quiet this last year, are there many users of it here on RMweb, I do know of one or two.

Regards..................Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I have now been using Touchcab on my iphone for a few weeks very successfully, and find it very user friendly.

I have now got a second hand iPod courtesy of my grand daughter.

Now I also have Touchcab installed on that too, and it works fine. I remember Jens demonstrating how he synced two devices in his demo at Rawtenstall, in order that I don't have to programme in every loco again to the new device.

Anyone know how to do this please.??

Thanks.......Bob

Morning Bob,

I'm afraid I cannot help you on how to sync the devices but I am interested in the whole Touch cab application, I have yet to buy my DCC system but so far I am looking to go with Lenz. The only thing that was putting me off Lenz was their hand controllers, but now with the choice of Touch cab I think it's a done deal.

ATB,

Martyn.

Morning Bob,

I'm afraid I cannot help you on how to sync the devices but I am interested in the whole Touch cab application, I have yet to buy my DCC system but so far I am looking to go with Lenz. The only thing that was putting me off Lenz was their hand controllers, but now with the choice of Touch cab I think it's a done deal.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

The Lenz system has proved faultless in over 6 yrs that I have been using it, I would advocate its use to anyone.

I first saw Touchcab about 2 yrs ago, and promised myself to have a go when I got an iPhone, which I got a few months ago.

As well as the Lenz system, you also need the interface 23151 which costs £120, and a router £20. The Touchcab app is only £5 to download.

The system is brilliant, I havent touched my LH100 controllers since starting with the iPhone, and as of last night I have an iPod on the job as well.

Let me know if you need any advice, although there plenty of others on here far more knowledgeable about it than me. And they were invaluable in helping me get started with it.

Bob

Edited by 250BOB

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your advice you have put my mind at rest, because anything electrical is my weak point I'm afraid.

I model in 7mm and although I am lucky to have a room of 19' x 16' at my disposal, I find myself still at the planning stage. A good friend of mine who is a wizz at Templot has been helping me design my proposed layout, and Templot has been a godsend as otherwise there would of been a lot of false starts so far.

Hopefully by Autumn I will be in a better position to go ahead with the DCC, so thanks for the offer of help as I will certainly need it !!

ATB,

Martyn.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I also have Touchcab installed on that too, and it works fine. I remember Jens demonstrating how he synced two devices in his demo at Rawtenstall, in order that I don't have to programme in every loco again to the new device.

Anyone know how to do this please.??

Hi Bob - and everyone else ...

It's been a while since I last posted here, and the reason is that life has demanded my attention to other things than programming. Basically I've been pretty much stalled for a year or so, but I am happy to report that I'm back at programming TouchCab, and doing very well, thank you.

Bob: What I showed at Rawtenstall was a beta version, and as you may recall, the syncing was not really stable. Well, it was - but for some reason only outside the showroom. The sync feature will appear in the next version 1.7.5, which is approximately a year late by now.

The device-to-device sync feature prompted me to build a configuration manager, which is essentially a file manager. That was an interesting job on a device where Apple has bent over backwards to hide the files from the user! The learning curve was pretty steep, but it works now.

Why a configuration manager, you ask?

Well, suppose you have spent an evening entering all your locomotives and all your points and everything is good. Then you go to a friend or a club and sync with whatever you find there, and you go back to your house, only to find that you brought the club setting home with you.

With the configuration manager, you can add up to 16 different configuration sets in addition to the "home config", which can not be deleted, but may be swapped for any one of the others. Switching configuration is done simply by tapping in a list.

Anyway, there is still some weird instability in the sync code. Once the devices find each other, there's no problem, but the discovery apparently hiccups now and again, but of course not when I am debugging the damn thing, so it's on the observation list.

What else is new?

A ton of bugfixes and minor tweaks, and two biggies that have caused a lot of rewriting of the internal code: Doubleheaders and advanced consists.

Doubleheaders is working in the lab and the feature is complete. It's a breeze to form a doubleheader and even easier to break one up.

I am currently working on advanced consisting - or decoder assisted consisting, as it is also called. Where the doubleheaders take place in the command station with max two locomotives, advanced consisting is done by writing a CV in all locos participating in the consist, and they will share and respond to this 'consist base' address. You can have a lot of locomotives in such a consist.

I'm not going to speculate as to when this update will arrive, but progress is good, and I have some days off right now ...  :locomotive:

Oh, the update will be free - as always.

If you have any questions, write me directly or drop a post at the TouchCab forum. I don't get out much these days ...

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl
  • Like 2

Its good to hear from you Jens....and thank you for giving us an update.

I am really happy with Touchcab.....I use my iPhone and iPod all the time now.....its as if the two lenz throttles have almost become redundant.

When I saw the guys from the Aberdeen club operating at the Glasgow Exhibition recently, I was so impressed.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Bob 

• 1 month later...

I was very pleased to be allowed to operate my layout with Peter Crichton's I-pod and the beta version of the next update at this weekends L&YDcc show in Manchester. There's a lot of new stuff on there (more than I had a chance to dig into on the day!) but everything I did use was an improvement. Well done Jens, and thanks Peter. Kev.

I was very pleased to be allowed to operate my layout with Peter Crichton's I-pod and the beta version of the next update at this weekends L&YDcc show in Manchester. There's a lot of new stuff on there (more than I had a chance to dig into on the day!) but everything I did use was an improvement. Well done Jens, and thanks Peter. Kev. on Loch Dour on Saturday morning at the show....I know it was the owner, whichever that is, and you were telling me about the update that Jens is working on.

It must have been you I spoke to on Saturday late morning operating your layout Loch Dour.....you may remember I said I too was totally sold on Touchcab, and operate using the iphone and iPod.

Pleased to hear you like the new version...I'm looking forward to it also. I didnt get to see Peter during the day, surprising as I did spend most of saturday there.

Yours is a great layout, and realistically operated too, well done.......this is a great show too.

Bob

Edited by 250BOB

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update:

As I have stated on the TouchCab web site, the oncoming iOS 7 has caused me to skip a release cycle and go straight to version 1.8.

The reason for this is that once iOS7 ships, iOS4 support is no longer an option. Or rather: it's one or the other, so I want to get a version 1.8 out there with support for Märklin's CS2 on iOS4.

That, however, will probably be the last release with iOS4 support.

I know that a lot of Lenz users have been waiting a long time for version 1.7.5, and you may be upset by this decision, but in fact the CS2 is a very good-natured beast, and I have locomotive control done already. All I need is the accessory part and we're off to iTunes for a release. What I have in mind is to release the free app with CS2 support as version 1.7.9, so people can try it, and so I can fix any bugs before the full release.

And it's almost there.

TouchCab Free 1.7.9 is complete and waiting for beta test, pending Apple's developer site getting back online.

If it's just as easy getting accessories working as it was locomotives, we're only a few weeks away.

Best regards - and thanks for your patience

Jens

Hi Jens,

Really good to hear from you.......and many thanks for the update on your progress.

From a personal point of view, I'm happy to wait as long as it takes, I'm very happy with what I have already

Thanks.......Bob.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just for the record - TouchCab Free version 1.7.9 with CS2 support has been released  ;)

The full version is on the way. One-drive accessories are good, dual-drive accessories are causing some head-scratching, but I'm getting there. Then a bit of spit and polish and I'm done.

Best regards

Jens

Edited by Jens Vesterdahl
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...