Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

Many thanks for all the kind comments, it really does help.

YES - it's official, we are now in full panic mode!! less than a week to go and and several months work still left to do, ah well. The staff at Bradfield have been really busy of late trying to get things looking railway like, hence the reason for no posts, so a few more pics showing some of the added detail that seems to take forever:-

post-10660-0-23266500-1304146854_thumb.jpg

Barriers, buffer stops and other clutter at the end of the line.

post-10660-0-33882600-1304146833_thumb.jpg

Passenger traffic may be declining but parcels traffic is a growing feature at Bradfield.

post-10660-0-57378100-1304146838_thumb.jpg

Pat on his rounds.

post-10660-0-20139600-1304146859_thumb.jpg

Bradfield signal box, that should keep Oscar and the other "Bobbies" happy. No signals yet though. I did have a go at some temporary ones from a ratio kit but they looked wrong.

post-10660-0-09317800-1304146844_thumb.jpg

The cabby has just dropped a fare off at the Ring O Bells. The trees grow quick around here.

post-10660-0-29974500-1304146849_thumb.jpg

More activity in Cattle Dock sidings. Foliage in abundance, it is supposed to be the height of summer.

Apart from a few inhabitants, thats about as far as it is going to get before the Barrow show. My thoughts are now on operation and stock, so I will post some details on this next.

Regards, John E

• RMweb Premium

This is such a nice railway. I love the way it really captures that Midland Region mid 60s transition period. Well done. I look forward to further developments.

Neil

Operations and Stock. - Probably my main interest and reason for building the layout in the first place. As someone commented earlier, the layout is quite small really and I have tried to maximise the space available to create a mainline atmosphere. My maximum train length is five Mk1’s and a Peak, this determined the length of storage roads, sidings and platforms. It is perhaps not obvious from the pictures that there are only two storage roads in the Fiddle Yard (FY). There is also a reception and departure track on the sector plate. The station layout has restrictions as well; platform one is departure only, platform three is required for run round from the sidings and the centre road for run round from platform two. The point of all this is that it is very easy to stitch yourself up when operating ad hoc, therefore a sequence or timetable is essential for realistic and smooth operating. In planning the timetable I found two publications invaluable, a 1962 BR working timetable for the area and Xpress publishings “Operation Midland†both fascinating to study. The results of which are the timetable/sequence below that I intend to operate at shows!!

post-10660-0-55822000-1304407991_thumb.jpg

There are just over 50 arrivals/departures and there are 103 moves to achieve this. I use an Access Database to plan and display the sequence. I could give more details if anyone is interested.

The basic traffic flow is this;

Through the night arrival, unloading of parcels, news and mail.

Early morning prep and departure of principal trains to London and West Country.

Throughout daytime DMU service to local destinations and loading of parcels.

Early evening arrival/berthing of principal trains and departure of Parcels.

I have covered the loco fleet in a previous post so now lets have a look at the stock.

There are four rakes of coaches for principal trains referred to as carriage workings (CW).

CW1 - BCK,FO,RU,SK,BSK. BR Mk1. 0732 to St Pancras and 1918 return.

CW2 - BSK,SK,SK,SK,BCK BR Mk1. 1038 to Paignton and 1755return.

CW3 – BSK,SK,SK,FK,BSK. BR Mk1. 0850 to St Pancras and 0324 ECS from Leeds.

CW5 – BTK,TK,FK,FK,BTK. Ex LMS. 1010 to St Pancras and 2251 return.

CW5A – BTK,TK,BTK, (CW5 re marshalled) 1324 from Carlisle and 1540 return.

Local trains (L)

L1 – Cl108 2car DMU. Skipton service.

L2 – Cl108 2car DMU. Ilkley service.

L3 – Cl101 2car DMU. Leeds service.

L4 – BT,CL exLMS. Rlwy Staff. 0334 from Skipton and 0420 return.

Parcels/mail trains are again represented by four rakes of vans(V)

V1 – BG,BG. 0146 from Nottingham and 1540 to Carlisle.

V2 – CCT,GUV,BG,BCK. 0346 from St Pancras and 1932 to York.

V3 – Rake of 4w vans + 2goods brakes. 0546 fro Leeds and 2230 return.

V4 – BG,4w van. 1324 from Carlisle and 2230 to Leeds.

Then there is the Mail, BG,BG,TPO. 0146 from Nott’m and 0420 to Skipton.

Hopefully this is a fairly "Railway like" representation of what might have happened in the early sixties, if anyone knows better, please let me know!!

post-10660-0-96978400-1304408409_thumb.jpg

DMU service in full swing with parcels being loaded for the evenings departures.

post-10660-0-39231600-1304408416_thumb.jpg

The mail having arrived with the Nott'm parcels is being shunted across to platform 2 to join the rlwy staff train to Skipton where it will be attached to a scottish service.

post-10660-0-37755300-1304408421_thumb.jpg

CW1, the 0732 dining car train for London awaits departure.

post-10660-0-88022900-1304408426_thumb.jpg

CW5, the 1010 to St Pancras gets away on time.

post-10660-0-08495000-1304408432_thumb.jpg

1755 and the Paignton drifts in to platform 3.

post-10660-0-57553800-1304408438_thumb.jpg

The sun shines on the afternoon departure to Carlisle with the vans from Nott,m attached.

post-10660-0-02085700-1304408444_thumb.jpg

Once all the principal trains have departed, platform 1 gets taken over for the loading of parcels.

Really must do something about those headcodes, anyone got any ideas??

• RMweb Gold

This layout ticks an awful lot of boxes on a purely visual level, but its builder's attention to authentic operations takes it even further up the admiration list. While space always equals scope to some extent, big layouts can lack authenticity just as well as little ones. Not an issue here!

Once again more great pics of a superb looking layout. I have to agree with Ian it ticks a lot of boxes for me too.:D It just looks right layout and stock come together as one if you know what I mean.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

This layout ticks an awful lot of boxes on a purely visual level, but its builder's attention to authentic operations takes it even further up the admiration list. While space always equals scope to some extent, big layouts can lack authenticity just as well as little ones. Not an issue here!

I couldn't have put it better, Ian. This is a superb undertaking on so many levels, I've been captivated by the building of this since it started.

I've been following this thread as the layout has progressed. What a super piece of work it has turned out to be. It is suitably grimey - both buildings and rolling stock, to give it good atmosphere and realism. It captures the essence of what you have set out to portray very well indeed. Some super motive power, mix of liveries and a nice collection of NPC stock.

All set up and raring to go!!

post-10660-0-98029900-1304926575_thumb.jpg

Just a quick note to say a big thank you for all the positive comments and especially to those who visited the show and "broke cover" by speaking to me, really nice to meet. The layout performed well over the weekend, not so the operators. Nearly all the glitches were down to operator error, not setting the correct route or not making sure that loco's were on the track properly etc.Did have one failure though, D48 disgraced herself by fouling the pointwork and had to be retired for investigation and remedy. D325 had a problem with couplings on the van train fouling her pipework which resulted in the last train of the show departing with two vans on there side. This was partly my fault for using her on a move that is normally done by D5269, lesson learnt!!!!!

Regards, John E.

Superb. The weathering on the station is just quality and oozes the look of a grimy terminus. I love the photo looking down the line towards the bridges with the Peak in the distance, I can just imagine being on the platform!

The way the light comes in through the canopy roof just finishes off the atmosphere.

Glad to hear that all went well, hopefully one day I can see this masterpiece in the flesh!

Really pleased that the exhibition went well for you ..... Bradfield 's a cracking layout!

Just a quick question, want are you going to do with your time now?;)

Dan

Its payback time!! A BBQ to finnish and some wardrobes, Ho Hum!!

Good to hear the show went well. Hopefully your operators can get used to the layout in the future to overcome anymore errors(!) Did you get anymore invites to shows from this weekend?

Colin

Good to hear the show went well. Hopefully your operators can get used to the layout in the future to overcome anymore errors(!) Did you get anymore invites to shows from this weekend?

Colin

Thanks Colin, I was quite overwhelmed with the number of invites to other shows, so much so that I think I will have to turn some down. If and when any become firm bookings, I will of course post dates and details on this thread.

John E

Thanks Colin, I was quite overwhelmed with the number of invites to other shows, so much so that I think I will have to turn some down. If and when any become firm bookings, I will of course post dates and details on this thread.

John E

Thanks john, it doesn't surprise me you received so many enquiries about the layout, just hope you get some in the south/south east or reasonably close to the M25 so that I can get to see it!

Colin

It is difficult to add to the superlatives about this layout - a superb use of space with bucket-loads of atmosphere.

Just one very minor query - to my eye the signal box looks a little small for a terminus like this - I guess it would need to accommodate at least 50-60 levers when you think of all the points, catch points, facing point locks, ground signals, main line signals of various sorts, maybe slotted signals with the next signal box up the line etc etc. I am no expert on Midland boxes (quite the reverse in fact) but as a general rule, I would have expected a box at least half as long again? Please don't take this as a criticism - I may well be wrong. It is your layout and you do whatever you like with it, which you seem to have done very well!

It is difficult to add to the superlatives about this layout - a superb use of space with bucket-loads of atmosphere.

Just one very minor query - to my eye the signal box looks a little small for a terminus like this - I guess it would need to accommodate at least 50-60 levers when you think of all the points, catch points, facing point locks, ground signals, main line signals of various sorts, maybe slotted signals with the next signal box up the line etc etc. I am no expert on Midland boxes (quite the reverse in fact) but as a general rule, I would have expected a box at least half as long again? Please don't take this as a criticism - I may well be wrong. It is your layout and you do whatever you like with it, which you seem to have done very well!

A very good point. Truth is I have not finalised the signaling aspect of the layout although I have a pretty good idea where I think the signals should go. This will be the next development and I would really,really welcome some thoughts and suggestions on this. Regarding the current box, it is a Ratio kit that I bought at the York show just to fill the empty area in the middle of the layout for the show. I intend to replace it with a more suitable model and would again appreciate advice from any Midland signalling experts out there.

Regards John E.

Archived