Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

All the detailing of the deck beams involves over 400 items, all of which require cutting out of the etch sheets, cleaning and the rivets embossing. As it has taken four days of work to complete this preparation before starting their assembly to the deck build, you can understand my curiosity as to the number of rivets that has caused a daily dose of stiff back and an aching wrist

... and the calculated count was 7172

Another few of days should see all the detailing on the deck completed, with pictures being posted hopefully before Xmas

Ron

• RMweb Premium

All the detailing of the deck beams involves over 400 items, all of which require cutting out of the etch sheets, cleaning and the rivets embossing. As it has taken four days of work to complete this preparation before starting their assembly to the deck build, you can understand my curiosity as to the number of rivets that has caused a daily dose of stiff back and an aching wrist

... and the calculated count was 7172

Another few of days should see all the detailing on the deck completed, with pictures being posted hopefully before Xmas

Ron

I can only empathise. I never counted all mine but there were several thousand. Good luck with the build.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

The first  section of the deck has been detailed -

post-10633-0-54195600-1514721226_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-53093000-1514721351_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-05095800-1514721470_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-03993900-1514721592_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-78944800-1514721703_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-98378500-1514721777_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-08679200-1514721852_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-31724500-1514721904_thumb.jpg

Two more sections to be detailed. These can wait until after the return to the trackwork builds. Why, you may ask. Because -

Good news for Xmas - SWMBO got me a surprise present, proving she does listen to my modelling problems. Actually she is always asking what is taking me so long to finish the layout

The surprise is a 24v DC mini-diamond bladed table saw and a supply of copperclad PCB. So I can now make more progress on the trackwork builds. A quick check of the saw this morning, and the resulting 300mm long strips are OK

Couldn't test the saw before this morning because the weather on Wednesday was hurricane winds which just happened to snap the 200mm dia trunk of our specimen Orchid Tree. Whilst the winds have subsided completely, the last few days have been a clearing up of the debris in the garden, and moving all the trunk sections and branches to the local recycling centre. Temperatures here are back to normal with 20deg C daytime and 12deg C overnight, with light breeze

Happy and Productive New Year to All

• Like 3

The surprise is a 24v DC mini-diamond bladed table saw and a supply of copperclad PCB. So I can now make more progress on the trackwork builds. A quick check of the saw this morning, and the resulting 300mm long strips are OK

Looking forward to more details on the machine and how you get on.

Ron happy new year to you.

Can’t believe SWMBO “is always asking what is taking me so long to finish the layout”

In the real world it takes us mere mortals a much longer time to finish anything never mind the detail you manage to include at the same time.

As ever marvellous modelling on something which I assume you won’t really be able to see once it is installed

Today the picnic table (worktable) has been converted from metalworking to trackbuilding. The cut 4mm wide copperclad strips were spot on, and were trimmed down to 22mm length pieces for the six outstanding turnout tie bars. Took a few hours cutting 3.5mm and 4mm wide stained ply strips for the next track sections which will help complete the first 1500mm of approach trackwork outside the train shed, feeding platforms 1 to 9. Pictures when it is all ready for fixing the droppers, etc.

• Like 5

Tests carried out a few years back proved that a styrene build shatters within two weeks when left outside even in a continuously shaded area ..... it shows there would a great deal of UV attack

That's interesting to know. Are there any downsides to using styrene indoors in your location that you've noticed? I'm thinking along the lines of with/without air conditioning, variable indoor temperatures/humidity? My eventual Spanish modelling space is likely to be a garage/utility room connected to the main house. Just curious...

As always, inspirational modelling.

That's interesting to know. Are there any downsides to using styrene indoors in your location that you've noticed? I'm thinking along the lines of with/without air conditioning, variable indoor temperatures/humidity? My eventual Spanish modelling space is likely to be a garage/utility room connected to the main house. Just curious...

As always, inspirational modelling.

The main model structures built in styrene, such as the viaducts (2), bridges (6), high level goods yard and the Train Shed, have all stood the test of time, between 3 and 10 years. The layout is in our windowless underbuild (basement) where the temperature varies between approx. 15 to 22 deg C, year round, and has an automatic dehumidifier set at 50% RH with waste water piped to drainage/waste. There is no heating or cooling equipment used. Ventilation is provide by a wall fan controlled by a humidistat and a large shuttered grill in the opposite wall.The walls are lined with 30mm thick rigid closed cell polystyrene insulation. A plastic panel suspended ceiling is employed to catch any concrete dust from the floor above, and the ceiling void carries all the service piping and cabling for the villa. The floor was laid with a damp proof membrane and a 100mm thick reinforced concrete slab which was painted with two coats of garage floor paint. The floor beyond the layout baseboard perimeter (walking and access areas) has been covered with 20mm thick foam rubber panels, normally used for play areas

The atmosphere within the room  is dry and at a comfortable temperature at any time and day throughout the year, and none of the models whether built from card or plastic appear to have deteriorated in any way

Always happy to help. Hope this helps answer in some way your question

Ron

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The trackwork section has been extended to approx. 2200mm to achieve suitable track ends for the following next sections. Expect to start the fixing the droppers later this week when the wire is received

Will clear the workspace and take a few pictures of the trackwork tomorrow

• Like 5

A few pictures of the completion of latest trackwork build -

post-10633-0-96172900-1516652121_thumb.jpg

From top to bottom the tracks on left lead to Platform 7, platform 6, service road, platform 5, platform 4, service road, platform 3, platform 2 and service road

The unbuilt trackwork towards the top comprises lead into Platform 1 and tracks into CLC and Station goods yards. These will be part of the next build 

post-10633-0-96272700-1516652204_thumb.jpg

12 single turnouts, 2 3-way turnouts and 2 crossings - 1860's complexity remaining unchanged until 1958 

post-10633-0-08148900-1516652282_thumb.jpg

Wiring for droppers advised by Correos to be delivered Thursday

• Like 6

Impressive.  What are crossing ratios on the single sided tandem?

regards. 

The crossing common crossings are 6.5o and 13.5o respectively, with the adjacent slip common crossings being 5o and 3o respectively. As you may be able to see both roads through the crossing are curved with radii of 1654mm and 3840mm, and the slip is at a radius of 1584mm

Hope this is sufficient information for your interest

Ron

• Like 1

Have you tried using 0.5mm brass rod Ron?, smaller baseboard hole and less obtrusive.

Mike.

I have used 0.7mm brass rod on some of the previous droppers as it is generally easier to push through the 30mm foam insulation baseboard and then colour label for the appropriate circuit, and also easier to hold in place whilst soldering to the underside of rail or pcb. Although it is overall quicker to use normal pvc insulated multi-strand wire, and fixing all similar colour/circuit in one operation

Ron

Hi Ron,

Are there some check rails missing from the long tandem in the foreground? It's not very clear in the photo.

regards,

Martin.

Hi, Martin

As usual, you are quite correct. I wondered why I had five check rails left over. My bogie test vehicle apparently moves through the crossings with no catching, clipping or deviation, etc. But no doubt it would raise its head when in full operating mode. In future will mark all check rail positions with thick coloured markings prior to track laying operations

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

Impressive.  What are crossing ratios on the single sided tandem?

regards. 

The crossing common crossings are 6.5o and 13.5o respectively, with the adjacent slip common crossings being 5o and 3o respectively. As you may be able to see both roads through the crossing are curved with radii of 1654mm and 3840mm, and the slip is at a radius of 1584mm

Hope this is sufficient information for your interest

Ron

Sorry my head was in the wrong space with my reply

The tandem turnout in the foreground has the following common crossings 8o, 5.5o and 3.5o. The reverse crossing/check rail combo is 7.5o

The tandem turnout out of platform 5 has the following common crossings 8o, 4o and 4o

Hope this is the information you were looking for

Ron

• Like 1