Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Manchester Viaducts Castlefield Cornbrook Plastic Structures Warehouses CLC GNR

• Please log in to reply
3201 replies to this topic

#1126 Les Green

Les Green

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationPreston, Lancs,UK

Posted 08 February 2012 - 18:50

As you will gather Liverpool Lime Street is a group effort primarily built for exhibition purposes, and would of necessity have to be much stronger to withstand the requirement for repeated erection, dismantling and transportation

Not quite true. Lime Street is basically one man's layout intended to stay at home. As it was built in sections we decided to make it fully transportable to give it a wider audience.
I designed and built the roof. The only reason it is metal rather than plastic is that I am more familiar with the former.
Today we had BRM magazine and Andy York of RMWeb taking photos for a future issue of the magazine. This hopefully will be the April issue published in March.
I haven't had the opportunity to discuss modelling procedures with Ron but we do follow each others progress with interest. I am sure we would meet up if we ever got the chance. (Do you ever get to Lancashire Ron?)

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#1127 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 08 February 2012 - 20:27

Not quite true. Lime Street is basically one man's layout intended to stay at home. As it was built in sections we decided to make it fully transportable to give it a wider audience.
I designed and built the roof. The only reason it is metal rather than plastic is that I am more familiar with the former.
Today we had BRM magazine and Andy York of RMWeb taking photos for a future issue of the magazine. This hopefully will be the April issue published in March.
I haven't had the opportunity to discuss modelling procedures with Ron but we do follow each others progress with interest. I am sure we would meet up if we ever got the chance. (Do you ever get to Lancashire Ron?)

Hi. Les
Good to hear from you
Sorry to jump to the conclusion that your project was started by a group - the undertaking is a modelling masterpiece being enjoyed by many
I am envious of your roof structure build, as I am not at all competent in metal working. Being a late newcomer to modelling I chose plastic as it seemed to easier to work with
Since moving to Spain 2 years ago I have not been back to the UK, although I have a weekend visit to Bristol planned for the end of April
I look forward to watching your progress with great interest, and also seeing the BRM article, and Andy's pictures in a future RMWeb Emag

Cheers
Ron

#1128 Les Green

Les Green

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationPreston, Lancs,UK

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:41

A short history of LLS. The model is the lifetime's work of John Holden. It is the third (and final!) manifestation of the layout. As it progressed he asked a few other people if they would help out with some of the things he was not confident with. Hence he obtained the expertise of a few friends that were keen to help. Chris Hewitt did the trackwork and original buildings. More recently Steve Hewitt built all the signals, Geoff Peters did the software control, Rob Harrison did the weathering of buildings and locos. I was asked to draw up the positions of the columns on the platforms. In a previous life I was in charge of one of the wind tunnels at BAE Systems and had some knowledge of the production of very high tech models for the tunnels. John expected to make the support columns from half inch dowel. Rather than that we rapid proototyped all the different columns and had accurate castings made. These are what you now see on the layout. The roof was modelled in AutoCad to see if the final model would capture the feel of the original roof. From that point it was easy to have all the components chemically etched and a group of four of us made the sub structures before I did final asembly. I was not confident in using plastic for the roof thinking it would not be stong enough, though your photos seem to disprove this. Though I am apppehensive about plastic going brittle over time and it could easily be damaged. You may correct me with this point!
My next project for the layout is the North Western Hotel which is on the model as a proof of concept model. At this stage I have done abut 90% of the model in 3D modelling on the PC. Poduction should start later this year. That will be another story.
  • Like x 1

#1129 artizen

artizen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationWest New Zealand

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:14

OK Ron, you've had a month's holiday. How is the layout progressing? :sungum:

#1130 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 15 March 2012 - 21:24

OK Ron, you've had a month's holiday. How is the layout progressing? :sungum:

Hi,Ian
Coincidence, I have just finished the refurb work after 10 weeks, at my daughter's cafe/bar at Altea, here in Spain - Official opening tomorrow - just the odd beer :drinks:

So now it's back to work on the Train Shed with the last two spans, which will enable the last six bays to be completed with another 102 transverse roof beams

Cheers

Ron
  • Like x 2

#1131 artizen

artizen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationWest New Zealand

Posted 15 March 2012 - 21:29

Yay!!! :locomotive:

#1132 iankemp

iankemp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationDumbarton, West Dunbartonshire!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 22:57

Thats great news Ron! Hope all is well over there in spain! I have been doing a bit of bridge building as well! Will be looking out for updates sometime soon on the layout to be!!!

#1133 ColinW

ColinW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 16 March 2012 - 16:48

Good to hear that your modelling construction work is about to re-commence again Ron, will be looking forward to the updates.

Colin

#1134 Phil Howe

Phil Howe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBicester, Oxfordshire

Posted 16 March 2012 - 18:12

Welcome back Ron; looking forward to even more inspirational work from you.

ATB

Phil

#1135 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:23

Hi, Ian, Colin & Phil

Thanks for your encouraging interest - just warming up the fingers again, and getting use to the lingering scent of Plasweld :sungum:

Cheers

Ron

#1136 Horsetan

Horsetan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,903 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 16:07

....Since moving to Spain 2 years ago I have not been back to the UK.....

A wise man. :stinker:
  • Like x 1

#1137 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 20 March 2012 - 22:12

Have just finished the last roof span

The latest build status is -

ROOF-STATUS.png

Green complete
Red awaiting construction
(transverse beams, etc.)
  • Like x 9

#1138 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:01

Thanks all for your positive comments

Now cutting the plastic for the 119 transverse beams (26 pieces per beam) - Good job I have the guillotine :sungum:

SpanTransverseBeam.png

• Like x 10

#1139 Siberian Snooper

Siberian Snooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationSunny Plymouth!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 19:33

Nice to see that progress is resumed.

SS
  • Like x 1

#1140 petecollier

petecollier

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 00:04

Ron - I stumbled across this forum completely by accident earlier on this evening. I'm not a modeller, and I couldn't really say I cared a fig about trains. Yet I have just spent a good 4½ hours enthralled as I read through this thread.

The scale of what you have achieved thus far, and your attention to detail, is simply staggering. It may just be a diverting hobby to you, but the fact that it can reach out and grab (and keep) the attention of a 'heathen' like me is testament to the fact you have transcended modelling. This isn't a nascent model railway layout, it's art. And bloody good art at that.

I even had to join the forum just so I could post a verbal hat-doffing on your thread.

It's just as well I have spent all evening up to and beyond bedtime reading through this forum, as I can't even remember now what I was meant to be looking for before I fell in here!

Here's a 'load test' to your ongoing endeavours. :drinks:

Pete.
  • Like x 3

#1141 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:59

Ron - I stumbled across this forum completely by accident earlier on this evening. I'm not a modeller, and I couldn't really say I cared a fig about trains. Yet I have just spent a good 4½ hours enthralled as I read through this thread.

The scale of what you have achieved thus far, and your attention to detail, is simply staggering. It may just be a diverting hobby to you, but the fact that it can reach out and grab (and keep) the attention of a 'heathen' like me is testament to the fact you have transcended modelling. This isn't a nascent model railway layout, it's art. And bloody good art at that.

I even had to join the forum just so I could post a verbal hat-doffing on your thread.

It's just as well I have spent all evening up to and beyond bedtime reading through this forum, as I can't even remember now what I was meant to be looking for before I fell in here!

Here's a 'load test' to your ongoing endeavours. :drinks:

Pete.

Hi, Pete

Thank you for your most appreciated comments - glad you enjoyed this ongoing activity

Railways are the embodiment of Victorian Engineering and Enterprise - Wish that there was such a motivation in today's society

Whilst my modelling is just an active and creative pastime, it will eventually evolve into a leisurely activity of operating a miniature railway

All the very best to you - :drinks:

Ron

#1142 iankemp

iankemp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationDumbarton, West Dunbartonshire!

Posted 21 May 2012 - 14:02

Hi Ron i just wondered what the latest news is on your model work so far? Hope all is well over there! We need input from you!lol

#1143 Siberian Snooper

Siberian Snooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 18:55

Hi Ron i just wondered what the latest news is on your model work so far? Hope all is well over there! We need input from you!lol

Yes it's been a while since we heard from the plastic fabrication dept. Or have you been overcome with fumes?

Cheers SS

#1144 N15class

N15class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 May 2012 - 19:08

I have been watching the other thread on 2012 challenge. Some more excellent work going on there too.

#1145 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:46

Yes it's been a while since we heard from the plastic fabrication dept. Or have you been overcome with fumes?

Cheers SS

I have been watching the other thread on 2012 challenge. Some more excellent work going on there too.

Hi, All

The plastic fabrication dept. is temporarily suspended, whilst demolition of three villa walls is ongoing for the reform. This is giving some physical tiredness and aching of my wrists/arms, which is putting off any plastic work for the present

But I will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later

Cheers

Ron
  • Like x 4

#1146 Siberian Snooper

Siberian Snooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:15

Hi, All

The plastic fabrication dept. is temporarily suspended, whilst demolition of three villa walls is ongoing for the reform. This is giving some physical tiredness and aching of my wrists/arms, which is putting off any plastic work for the present

But I will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron, we ain't as young as we used to be!

Cheers SS

#1147 Ron Heggs

Ron Heggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationJalon, Spain

Posted 28 May 2012 - 18:21

Thanks Ron, we ain't as young as we used to be!

Cheers SS

Thanks - still a little bit sore around the wrists, especially the left one, where I hit it with a club hammer after it slipped off the chisel - OUCH

-

Another task which I got involved in was to have some 'cat's eyes' etched for all the roadways on the layout - 1950/60's style

The etch was received today

These pictures show the result, and before removal -

IMG_1414.JPG
A5 etched sheet contains 3465 individual 'cats eyes'

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG
- and each one is just under 1.5mm x 1.0mm

Now to fit the styrene centre pieces - No, not to all 3465 - well not yet :no:

Cheers

Ron
  • Like x 6

#1148 Welly

Welly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Location40A Lincoln

Posted 28 May 2012 - 20:52

^^^
Strewth! That is a lot of fiddliness ahead! :O

#1149 bcnPete

bcnPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationLondon (previously Barcelona)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:19

Now to fit the styrene centre pieces - No, not to all 3465 - well not yet :no:

Make sure you are playing some 'middle of the road music' to help pass the time whilst you are doing it Ron...:laugh:

#1150 Siberian Snooper

Siberian Snooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:04

Hi Ron

What will you be using for the 13860 reflective glass balls? :sarcastichand:

Cheers SS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Manchester, Viaducts, Castlefield, Cornbrook, Plastic Structures, Warehouses, CLC, GNR