Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Ron - I stumbled across this forum completely by accident earlier on this evening. I'm not a modeller, and I couldn't really say I cared a fig about trains. Yet I have just spent a good 4½ hours enthralled as I read through this thread.

The scale of what you have achieved thus far, and your attention to detail, is simply staggering. It may just be a diverting hobby to you, but the fact that it can reach out and grab (and keep) the attention of a 'heathen' like me is testament to the fact you have transcended modelling. This isn't a nascent model railway layout, it's art. And bloody good art at that.

I even had to join the forum just so I could post a verbal hat-doffing on your thread.

It's just as well I have spent all evening up to and beyond bedtime reading through this forum, as I can't even remember now what I was meant to be looking for before I fell in here!

Here's a 'load test' to your ongoing endeavours. :drinks:

Pete.

• Like 3

Ron - I stumbled across this forum completely by accident earlier on this evening. I'm not a modeller, and I couldn't really say I cared a fig about trains. Yet I have just spent a good 4½ hours enthralled as I read through this thread.

The scale of what you have achieved thus far, and your attention to detail, is simply staggering. It may just be a diverting hobby to you, but the fact that it can reach out and grab (and keep) the attention of a 'heathen' like me is testament to the fact you have transcended modelling. This isn't a nascent model railway layout, it's art. And bloody good art at that.

I even had to join the forum just so I could post a verbal hat-doffing on your thread.

It's just as well I have spent all evening up to and beyond bedtime reading through this forum, as I can't even remember now what I was meant to be looking for before I fell in here!

Here's a 'load test' to your ongoing endeavours. :drinks:

Pete.

Hi, Pete

Thank you for your most appreciated comments - glad you enjoyed this ongoing activity

Railways are the embodiment of Victorian Engineering and Enterprise - Wish that there was such a motivation in today's society

Whilst my modelling is just an active and creative pastime, it will eventually evolve into a leisurely activity of operating a miniature railway

All the very best to you - :drinks:

Ron

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Ron i just wondered what the latest news is on your model work so far? Hope all is well over there! We need input from you!lol

Yes it's been a while since we heard from the plastic fabrication dept. Or have you been overcome with fumes?

Cheers SS

Hi Ron i just wondered what the latest news is on your model work so far? Hope all is well over there! We need input from you!lol

Yes it's been a while since we heard from the plastic fabrication dept. Or have you been overcome with fumes?

Cheers SS

I have been watching the other thread on 2012 challenge. Some more excellent work going on there too.

Hi, All

The plastic fabrication dept. is temporarily suspended, whilst demolition of three villa walls is ongoing for the reform. This is giving some physical tiredness and aching of my wrists/arms, which is putting off any plastic work for the present

But I will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later

Cheers

Ron

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi, All

The plastic fabrication dept. is temporarily suspended, whilst demolition of three villa walls is ongoing for the reform. This is giving some physical tiredness and aching of my wrists/arms, which is putting off any plastic work for the present

But I will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron, we ain't as young as we used to be!

Cheers SS

Thanks Ron, we ain't as young as we used to be!

Cheers SS

Thanks - still a little bit sore around the wrists, especially the left one, where I hit it with a club hammer after it slipped off the chisel - OUCH

-

Another task which I got involved in was to have some 'cat's eyes' etched for all the roadways on the layout - 1950/60's style

The etch was received today

These pictures show the result, and before removal -

post-10633-0-07936000-1338228852_thumb.jpg

A5 etched sheet contains 3465 individual 'cats eyes'

post-10633-0-35818400-1338228886_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-18551600-1338228922_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-65912900-1338228948_thumb.jpg

- and each one is just under 1.5mm x 1.0mm

Now to fit the styrene centre pieces - No, not to all 3465 - well not yet :no:

Cheers

Ron

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Now to fit the styrene centre pieces - No, not to all 3465 - well not yet :no:

Make sure you are playing some 'middle of the road music' to help pass the time whilst you are doing it Ron...:laugh:

^^^

Strewth! That is a lot of fiddliness ahead! :O

Yes, but it will all be worthwhile - I hope :scratchhead:

Make sure you are playing some 'middle of the road music' to help pass the time whilst you are doing it Ron... :laugh:

Thanks Pete - my 'middle of the road' music is SILENCE - I can my own curses better :laugh:

Hi Ron

What will you be using for the 13860 reflective glass balls? :sarcastichand:

Cheers SS

Still got to see what will fit in a 20thou depth, and look the part

Get the scotch lined up for when you are done, think you will need it.

Cider on draught is preferred, and will last longer :sungum:

Cheers

Ron

A single 'cat's eye' cut from the etch, and fitted with a 40thou x 30thou x 20thou thick styrene clipping

post-10633-0-26152100-1338301636.jpg

The visible height of the styrene is only 10thou, and to attempt to fit two reflective 'eyes' on each side would be impracticable

The modern reflective pads/tiles would be easier to reproduce, as they have full width and height angled reflective surfaces

The bright steel square flat pyramid stud markers which were used in lines at road junctions and zebra crossings in 1950/60's are a possible item next

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...