Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Have been busy switching between tasks today - The 26 strands have now been threaded through the display faceplate and epoxied in place -

post-10633-0-71275500-1387224964_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-87365300-1387224995_thumb.jpg

Remember this is only a test assembly to prove the viability of building a Theatre Display in 4mm scale

The strands will be trimmed back close to the faceplate when the epoxy has hardened

Next job is to identify each strand location on the faceplate and tag it with the relevant LED ID

The strands can then be epoxied over the relevant LEDs

Spinoffs: I'll never do work like yours in a million years. I don't understand eletrickery, and don't have the manual dexterity and multiple skills, but I've learned a very useful amount regarding complex structures in plastic - items I would have reserved for brass and burnt fingers - and with this particular passage, how straight forward decorative building-lights/shop-displays could be. Of all the threads I follow, yours is the most educational by far. So thanks for that. :-)

Tony.

Ron

How are you going to mount the fibers on the model as the grouped fibers looks like quite a thick bundle?

Pete

Hi, Pete

The fibre bunch is just under 3mm diameter or 1mm x 5mm. The black sheath is heat shrink tubing being used temporarily keep the fibres under control

They will be divided into smaller bunches and hidden within the gantry truss members and under the access walkway. That's the intention 

Ron

• Like 2

Spinoffs: I'll never do work like yours in a million years. I don't understand eletrickery, and don't have the manual dexterity and multiple skills, but I've learned a very useful amount regarding complex structures in plastic - items I would have reserved for brass and burnt fingers - and with this particular passage, how straight forward decorative building-lights/shop-displays could be. Of all the threads I follow, yours is the most educational by far. So thanks for that. :-)

Tony.

Thanks, your comments are much appreciated, and I hope that my threads will continue to keep you interested

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Ron,

Once my own layout starts to make progress I will eventually install a signal gantry just before the station throat; it will be 2 aspect with a shunt signal and will include a working theatre indicator.

It is very much based on the one installed by the LMS at Lime Street Station. Perhaps it may be of use to try and find out how the one on the Lime Street model was made as I'm sure it would probably be of use to you if you do have problems making your own model work the way you want. Although judging by your other work I'm sure you'll manage just fine!

If you don't feel it is necessary to look in to then no doubt I will when I get round to making my own.

Michael

post-15291-0-02008300-1387233539.jpg

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Michael Woolford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ron,

Once my own layout starts to make progress I will eventually install a signal gantry just before the station throat; it will be 2 aspect with a shunt signal and will include a working theatre indicator.

It is very much based on the one installed by the LMS at Lime Street Station. Perhaps it may be of use to try and find out how the one on the Lime Street model was made as I'm sure it would probably be of use to you if you do have problems making your own model work the way you want. Although judging by your other work I'm sure you'll manage just fine!

If you don't feel it is necessary to look in to then no doubt I will when I get round to making my own.

Michael

attachicon.gif2_LimeSt1_1.jpg

(Edited for spelling)

All the Lime Street Signals were built by Steve Hewitt, Steveatbax of this parish.   Send him a message adn ask him.

Jamie

Trying out my new Silhouette Cameo cutting machine. Produced the laminations in 10 thou styrene for the North Face of the GNR Deansgate Bridge -

post-10633-0-14754100-1387318529_thumb.jpg

Bottom three are the lower under parapet section

post-10633-0-84362100-1387318563_thumb.jpg

The upper five are the above rail parapet section

Cut in two halves - Overall length 470mm

They will backed on to 40 thou styrene

• Like 1

Now that is just unfair, Ron! You've had your Cameo for exactly five minutes and you're producing delicate tracery the like of which has never been seen!

Have you tried exposing those fine threads of styrene to any solvent yet?

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Now that is just unfair, Ron! You've had your Cameo for exactly five minutes and you're producing delicate tracery the like of which has never been seen!

Have you tried exposing those fine threads of styrene to any solvent yet?

Cheers

Phil

Hi, Phil

Not bad for 10 minutes 'work' ?   :O

The drawings were already prepared back in Dec 2007, ready for producing etches. The cost of which would have almost paid for the machine 

Fixing waiting for daylight  :sungum:   Easier than working under a lamp  :blind: 

Will post results tomorrow

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

The bridge lamination process using butanone/mek -

post-10633-0-76629600-1387381477_thumb.j

Bottom two laminations on a 40thou backing

post-10633-0-85673600-1387381508_thumb.j

Third lamination added

post-10633-0-38969200-1387381575_thumb.j

Top two laminations

post-10633-0-19267700-1387381604_thumb.j

Top 3 laminations

post-10633-0-12653100-1387381637_thumb.j

Top 4 laminations - the trefoil decoration on the lower section is just visible - couldn't cut that by hand

post-10633-0-26686400-1387381686_thumb.j

Top 5 laminations

post-10633-0-87586000-1387381655_thumb.j

Full view

The face now needs microstrip additions and rosette decorations to complete

The rear railside face needs flanges and plating detail adding - South side will be made in the same way

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 9

Imagine making that without the new kit! Most us would be drilling holes to form a basis for the wave/drip (whatever the devil it's called) profile:-  filing to a point then blunting the point till it looks OK from regular viewing distance - hopelessly inaccurate and massively time consuming...

I've been checking up on these machines and am astonished they are so reasonably priced - not that I'd ever justify one - panelled coaches, complex architecture, etc.,. etc....

I'm not a young man and hardly a day goes by without some technical mind-blower in the PC+ world. But this machine...

Sheeeeeeeeeesh! :O

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four

Imagine making that without the new kit! Most us would be drilling holes to form a basis for the wave/drip (whatever the devil it's called) profile:-  filing to a point then blunting the point till it looks OK from regular viewing distance - hopelessly inaccurate and massively time consuming...

I've been checking up on these machines and am astonished they are so reasonably priced - not that I'd ever justify one - panelled coaches, complex architecture, etc.,. etc....

I'm not a young man and hardly a day goes by without some technical mind-blower in the PC+ world. But this machine...

Sheeeeeeeeeesh! :O

Tony.

PS: Actually, I probably could justify one. Mine's just a crude OO layout, but I do have a cityscape of buildings to do. I've been wrestling with mass-production methods and this might be the very answer. Cash??? 'Think I'd better get a paper-round... :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Ron, you were already the master of plasticard modelling, but that bridge is just exquisite.

Would it be fair to say that you can now incorporate detail that previously you couldn't due to the limitations of cutting by hand?

Amazing stuff!

Al.

Ron, you were already the master of plasticard modelling, but that bridge is just exquisite.

Would it be fair to say that you can now incorporate detail that previously you couldn't due to the limitations of cutting by hand?

Amazing stuff!

Al.

Hi, Al

You are quite correct in your comment

Some details which would be impossible or difficult to produce by hand cutting can be produced relatively easily by this method

Repetitive/multiple copies of the same item can be produced with ease retaining the accuracy across all copies

Ron

• Like 2

Hi, Al

You are quite correct in your comment

Some details which would be impossible or difficult to produce by hand cutting can be produced relatively easily by this method

Repetitive/multiple copies of the same item can be produced with ease retaining the accuracy across all copies

Ron

I wonder what astonishing reality you might have achieved with your existing masterpieces, had this technology been available to you several years ago...

Edited by GJChurchward

PS: Actually, I probably could justify one. Mine's just a crude OO layout, but I do have a cityscape of buildings to do. I've been wrestling with mass-production methods and this might be the very answer. Cash??? 'Think I'd better get a paper-round... :scratchhead:

Hi, Tony

Does it pay that well  :O

The machine does come at a slightly higher price than a high end RTR DCC Sound Steam Loco

Ron