Gough's Yard (O Gauge Module)

Jack

Grrr ... after a few good operating sessions it turns out the Marway points don't work very well when relying on blade contact ... time to start isolating the frogs and attaching them to the tortoise micro switches ... doh!

The next thing to do is to try and get the standard/narrow gauge transfer to work properly. It is based on

. I purchased the transporter wagon as an impulse and have added it to the layout for a bit of added interest. It does mean that Gough's is no longer strictly a Tymesaver but its my trainset and all that :D

Anyway, in the video link above you can see the transporter wagon being loaded (30secs in). Ive had a play with mine and it sort of works, but i think i'm going to need some form of check rail (unlike the real thing). The track leading up to it is standard peco bullhead. However, I went to place a check rail on earlier and the chairs I have are too large and don't sit very well next to the standard flexi track ones ... do points use different forms of chairs for the check rails? Anyone got any suggestions about how I can fit a set of check rails?

post-7154-0-42012400-1312209501_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thats better ... the frogs have been wired into the tortoise switches and the blades have been wired into the rails next door. Running has improved 100%. :yahoo:

Glad you've got the electrics sorted Jack, see "Tortoises" aren't that bad!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jack,

How much lateral movement is there in the narrow gauge wagon, at the rail junction with the standard gauge ?

It might be easier to add check rails on this to align the n/gauge wagon with the std/gauge track, rather than the other way round.

If you do have to use check rails on the O Gauge track, would the Peco OO gauge chairs & rails be small enough to fit ?

Stu

Jack,

How much lateral movement is there in the narrow gauge wagon, at the rail junction with the standard gauge ?

It might be easier to add check rails on this to align the n/gauge wagon with the std/gauge track, rather than the other way round.

If you do have to use check rails on the O Gauge track, would the Peco OO gauge chairs & rails be small enough to fit ?

Stu

There is a lot of sideways movement, which is annoying. Whilst the resin body casting is good, the bogie casting was awful. Adding a check rail on the ng ay be a better idea, thanks.

I don't think code 100 rail will be deep enough on the sg section. Having pondered the problem last night i might be able to get away with soldering the sg check rail to a couple of well hidden screws, the glue some fake chairs on the public side ...

There is a lot of sideways movement, which is annoying. Whilst the resin body casting is good, the bogie casting was awful. Adding a check rail on the ng ay be a better idea, thanks.

I don't think code 100 rail will be deep enough on the sg section. Having pondered the problem last night i might be able to get away with soldering the sg check rail to a couple of well hidden screws, the glue some fake chairs on the public side ...

Jack if it is of some use I used code 100 for my last O gauge project (Wantage Town) and all standard finescale wheel managed OK, even had a GWR "dukedog" run over it on one occasion!

Reference the NG, you could always tighten up the gauge to avoid having to use "check rails", just a thought.

John.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Unfortunatly work, kids and several house moves have meant both my layouts haven't seen the light of day in a couple of years now ...

... I'll get back to it one day ... and I have been working on several rolling stock projects to keep me out of mischief.

Grrr, it was easier to forget the layout whilst it was tucked away, but now I've been reminded about it.  No chance of getting it out before the next house move in September, but afterwards I might have to get my finger out ...

... thank you for the reminder Les!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Nearly!!  The next project is to re-do some of the scenery on Gough's yard, including adding a few working yard lamps and a signal.

I have plans for Gough's Yard, but I want to make sure I get a few techniques right first.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments.

Any progress on this? It looks very interesting and has a lot of promise. :)

Sadly progress stalled due to life getting in the way!! Stock is progressing slowly, with another loco and a couple of wagons added to the running fleet. However, the layout was out a couple of weeks ago for a play session at the local club. After being in storage for nearly 3 years it performed faultlessly first time.

I love the idea that you design it in a way that it folds unto itself. It protects all the scenery while in transport.

On reflection I'd go for 'coffining' of two seperate boards. There are slight alignment issues which need addressing and I hadn't taken into account that if the layout is placed on a table unfolding can be problematic with low ceilings!

• 2 months later...

Changes are afoot in the Gough's Yard wagon fleet.  In the odd few minutes I get spare I'm planning on building some of those kits which have been lurking in the kit box for too long ... I'll post some pictures when I get chance.

• 3 years later...

OK, who stole the last 3 years?????

Nothing to update regarding progress, only that Gough's Yard has been out of its covers to play with some new toys recently.

Top of the to-do list ... find some railway muddling time!

• 1 month later...

Spurred on by the fact i have not got any proper muddling done in the last 3 years, plus the Laughter Lines pic in the last issue of Railway Modeller has inspired me today.  I have sorted out my box of 7mm kits.  I have found a space to work on them, and I'm sorting out the last bits and pieces necessary to getting started.  2018 needs to be the year when this lot get built ...

... final purchase will be some Haywood Wheels for the unbuilt kits.  I'll paint the slaters wheels already fitted to the built kits as I can't see an easy way of getting them off.  I'm also intending on getting started on the P tank kit.  Having never used a resistance soldering iron though, I purchased a Gladiator 16' Carriage Truck kit to practise on.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Jack, glad you're still active?

We've moved back into Andover and I am now quietly occupied in building a small O gauge layout in my new cabin in the garden (we're now a bedroom and garage down!).

Light railway themed, uncertain though wether it will be West Sussex or Cornwall based, W/Sussex would make it easier to explain/justify my K&ESR Terrier (although remember rule 1 applies.

Regards John.

Very active at work ... sadly the modelling is still getting frustrated by a complete lack of time atm.  I keep trying to carve out some time, but keep getting thwarted.

Your new layout sounds interesting!!  Any chance of a thread and some pics?  Terriers made it as far as Brizzal, so one could stretch the imagination a bit further!!

• 3 months later...

Right, in an attempt to regain my modelling mojo I decided to finish off the Slater's Salt Van kit I started umpteen years ago.  The kit went together quite smoothly, but I have spent this afternoon wrestling with disintergrating transfers.  I put them on with a 3:1 meths/water mix, then left them to dry for the requisit 15 minutes, but when applying water to start removing them the numbers just came off with the film ... anyone else had this problem?  I completely lost one end number, plus both sets of end lettering.

I've contacted Slaters to try and get some more transfers, but I may be out of luck as they appear to have discontinued the kit.  Not really surprising with the Dapol RTR version now on the scene.

Will post some piccies once there is something to show.  The open wagon went together OK.  Next task will be to try the Peco GWR box van.  I still have 9 unbuilt wagon kits, so am planning to work through them as time allows.  Then it will be on to the two brass kits (including the Meteor P which still calls form its box).

Hi Jack, was it the yellow salt wagon, I bought and built one myself many years back, I had to have one as it matched my original Hornby Dublo one, nostalgia writ large!!

I have been renovating a pair of single bolsters bought from a certain internet auction site, of indeterminate origin, missing or damaged parts replaced, repainted and off to the Andover club for an O Gauge running night tomorrow evening. Hopefully a piccy in due course.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2019 at 16:30, Turin 60 said:

Hi Jack, was it the yellow salt wagon, I bought and built one myself many years back, I had to have one as it matched my original Hornby Dublo one, nostalgia writ large!!

I have been renovating a pair of single bolsters bought from a certain internet auction site, of indeterminate origin, missing or damaged parts replaced, repainted and off to the Andover club for an O Gauge running night tomorrow evening. Hopefully a piccy in due course.

John.

Nope, it was the green “Manger’s” one.  Replacement set of tansfers arrived and the end lettering is still coming apart when i try and remove the tissue.  Its not the age of the transfers, so maybe i’m doing something wrong ... i’m fairly sure i’m following the instructions tho.