Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Posted Image What was your favourite model of 2017? Cast your vote

Photo

Gough's Yard (O Gauge Module)

Pre-grouping Modular 7mm O-16.5 SECR Timesaver Micro O Gauge

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • LocationLiving on the Edge

Posted 31 July 2011 - 20:06

Grrr ... after a few good operating sessions it turns out the Marway points don't work very well when relying on blade contact ... time to start isolating the frogs and attaching them to the tortoise micro switches ... doh!

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#27 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:23

Thats better ... the frogs have been wired into the tortoise switches and the blades have been wired into the rails next door. Running has improved 100%. :yahoo:
  • Like x 1

#28 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:38

The next thing to do is to try and get the standard/narrow gauge transfer to work properly. It is based on the L&M. I purchased the transporter wagon as an impulse and have added it to the layout for a bit of added interest. It does mean that Gough's is no longer strictly a Tymesaver but its my trainset and all that :D

Anyway, in the video link above you can see the transporter wagon being loaded (30secs in). Ive had a play with mine and it sort of works, but i think i'm going to need some form of check rail (unlike the real thing). The track leading up to it is standard peco bullhead. However, I went to place a check rail on earlier and the chairs I have are too large and don't sit very well next to the standard flexi track ones ... do points use different forms of chairs for the check rails? Anyone got any suggestions about how I can fit a set of check rails?

DSC05650.Trans.JPG
  • Like x 1

#29 Turin 60

Turin 60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 21:38

Thats better ... the frogs have been wired into the tortoise switches and the blades have been wired into the rails next door. Running has improved 100%. :yahoo:

Glad you've got the electrics sorted Jack, see "Tortoises" aren't that bad!

John.
  • Like x 1

#30 Stubby47

Stubby47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,683 posts
  • LocationA Welsh exile in Kernow

Posted 01 August 2011 - 23:03

Jack,
How much lateral movement is there in the narrow gauge wagon, at the rail junction with the standard gauge ?
It might be easier to add check rails on this to align the n/gauge wagon with the std/gauge track, rather than the other way round.
If you do have to use check rails on the O Gauge track, would the Peco OO gauge chairs & rails be small enough to fit ?
Stu

#31 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:58

Jack,
How much lateral movement is there in the narrow gauge wagon, at the rail junction with the standard gauge ?
It might be easier to add check rails on this to align the n/gauge wagon with the std/gauge track, rather than the other way round.
If you do have to use check rails on the O Gauge track, would the Peco OO gauge chairs & rails be small enough to fit ?
Stu

There is a lot of sideways movement, which is annoying. Whilst the resin body casting is good, the bogie casting was awful. Adding a check rail on the ng ay be a better idea, thanks.

I don't think code 100 rail will be deep enough on the sg section. Having pondered the problem last night i might be able to get away with soldering the sg check rail to a couple of well hidden screws, the glue some fake chairs on the public side ...

#32 Turin 60

Turin 60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 21:15

There is a lot of sideways movement, which is annoying. Whilst the resin body casting is good, the bogie casting was awful. Adding a check rail on the ng ay be a better idea, thanks.

I don't think code 100 rail will be deep enough on the sg section. Having pondered the problem last night i might be able to get away with soldering the sg check rail to a couple of well hidden screws, the glue some fake chairs on the public side ...

Jack if it is of some use I used code 100 for my last O gauge project (Wantage Town) and all standard finescale wheel managed OK, even had a GWR "dukedog" run over it on one occasion!
Reference the NG, you could always tighten up the gauge to avoid having to use "check rails", just a thought.

John.
  • Like x 2

#33 Les le Breton

Les le Breton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:42

This layout looks really interesting. How is it progressing?

#34 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:15

Unfortunatly work, kids and several house moves have meant both my layouts haven't seen the light of day in a couple of years now ...

... I'll get back to it one day ... and I have been working on several rolling stock projects to keep me out of mischief.

#35 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:22

Grrr, it was easier to forget the layout whilst it was tucked away, but now I've been reminded about it.  No chance of getting it out before the next house move in September, but afterwards I might have to get my finger out ...

... thank you for the reminder Les!!

• Like x 1

#36 lapford34102

lapford34102

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationEast of the Greenwich Meridian

Posted 26 November 2013 - 17:26

but afterwards I might have to get my finger out ...

I think the time has come..........

This looks good.

Stu

#37 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:43

Nearly!!  The next project is to re-do some of the scenery on Gough's yard, including adding a few working yard lamps and a signal.

I have plans for Gough's Yard, but I want to make sure I get a few techniques right first.

#38 devildog

devildog

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 23:44

I love the idea that you design it in a way that it folds unto itself. It protects all the scenery while in transport.

#39 DanielB

DanielB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • LocationChesterfield

Posted 12 August 2014 - 16:21

Any progress on this? It looks very interesting and has a lot of promise. :)

#40 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:27

Thanks for the comments.

Any progress on this? It looks very interesting and has a lot of promise. :)

Sadly progress stalled due to life getting in the way!! Stock is progressing slowly, with another loco and a couple of wagons added to the running fleet. However, the layout was out a couple of weeks ago for a play session at the local club. After being in storage for nearly 3 years it performed faultlessly first time.

I love the idea that you design it in a way that it folds unto itself. It protects all the scenery while in transport.

On reflection I'd go for 'coffining' of two seperate boards. There are slight alignment issues which need addressing and I hadn't taken into account that if the layout is placed on a table unfolding can be problematic with low ceilings!

#41 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:30

Changes are afoot in the Gough's Yard wagon fleet.  In the odd few minutes I get spare I'm planning on building some of those kits which have been lurking in the kit box for too long ... I'll post some pictures when I get chance.

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Agree x 1

#42 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:23

OK, who stole the last 3 years?????

Nothing to update regarding progress, only that Gough's Yard has been out of its covers to play with some new toys recently.

Top of the to-do list ... find some railway muddling time!

#43 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 21:31

Spurred on by the fact i have not got any proper muddling done in the last 3 years, plus the Laughter Lines pic in the last issue of Railway Modeller has inspired me today.  I have sorted out my box of 7mm kits.  I have found a space to work on them, and I'm sorting out the last bits and pieces necessary to getting started.  2018 needs to be the year when this lot get built ...

... final purchase will be some Haywood Wheels for the unbuilt kits.  I'll paint the slaters wheels already fitted to the built kits as I can't see an easy way of getting them off.  I'm also intending on getting started on the P tank kit.  Having never used a resistance soldering iron though, I purchased a Gladiator 16' Carriage Truck kit to practise on.

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pre-grouping, Modular, 7mm, O-16.5, SECR, Timesaver, Micro, O Gauge