Heljan 'OO' DP2

Mike at C&M

Given it was gashed up one side from the accident, and the cab is pretty unique, I wonder why it was removed ?

I wonder if they were thinking to repair it ?

Iv read somewhere possibly modern locomotives illustrated that work was done to assess and EE even started to repair DP2 but it was obviously was beyond economical justification in the end. It was ideed a standard deltic shell pulled off the production line for conversion, allegedly the 17th shell so would have been between D9015 & D9016

I think by the time of the accident the loco had served its purpose and EE had no further use for it, by 1970 EE were virtually out of the loco building business anyway., certainly as far as the uk was concerned. I always wonder if it had been a deltic that was involved in the crash would dp2 have been purchased by br to substitute into the deltic fleet being 100mph capable. Perhaps it would have survived into preservation now there's a thought.

I think that bearing in mind that DP2 was almost repaired, the economic case for repairing a deltic would have been overwhelming. Would DP2 have continued much longer anyway? It would soon have needed air brakes and ETH to continue being useful, maybe that extra cost also influenced the decision to scrap.

To be honest I never even considered that any repair work had been carried out on dp2 but it would be fascinating to see if it had been. The photo we saw in the previous post is the only piece of information I have seen after the photos of it returning to Vulcan were taken. A void of nearly 3 years and any insider info from Vulcan would be interesting to read. I do know that the engine was removed for use into the class 50 pool, but as for any other components, traction motor blowers etc. who knows.

I would agree a heavily damaged deltic would be a repair case, look a Bulwark at Paddington. Perhaps dp2 would have been substituted for the period during its reconstruction and then what. Imagine dp2 being remodified back to deltic standard using the damaged deltic as a source of parts, ah well we can dream.

• RMweb Gold

Being 1970, I would have thought a replacement cab would have more likely to have been a class 50 cab, than a class 55, given 50's were in production during the crash - scrapping period and it's internals were class 50..

Rather than a Deltic, dp2 might have come back as D450 or even a hybrid with 1 of each cabs.

The logic might have been there, as the class 50's weren't built for BR, they were built for EE leasing, with the inherent risk of swallowing the production costs in house, and as such might have been a cost efficient "50th" class member, but obviously, as with 70012, for a manufacturer, building one more is cheaper than fixing an existing one.

I guess had Thirsk not happened DP2's life would have been similar to D0280 Falcon, it might have even made it till around the class 50 rebuilds in the late 70's after all Falcon ran till 1975, same time as the Westerns were going.

A DP2 in BR blue ? ;-)

Being 1970, I would have thought a replacement cab would have more likely to have been a class 50 cab, than a class 55, given 50's were in production during the crash - scrapping period and it's internals were class 50..

Rather than a Deltic, dp2 might have come back as D450 or even a hybrid with 1 of each cabs.

The logic might have been there, as the class 50's weren't built for BR, they were built for EE leasing, with the inherent risk of swallowing the production costs in house, and as such might have been a cost efficient "50th" class member, but obviously, as with 70012, for a manufacturer, building one more is cheaper than fixing an existing one.

I guess had Thirsk not happened DP2's life would have been similar to D0280 Falcon, it might have even made it till around the class 50 rebuilds in the late 70's after all Falcon ran till 1975, same time as the Westerns were going.

A DP2 in BR blue ? ;-)

Thats exactly what im building at the mo, a blue DP2 imagining it either wasnt involved in the crash or repaired. Its numbered 49 001 on one side and D0733 on the other as it was its works number as per D0260/D0280. Work has slowed as iv run out of varnish to finish

post-5804-0-05233800-1482094418_thumb.jpgpost-5804-0-02843800-1482094456_thumb.jpg

These are the last pics i took before i started putting the transfers on. Hopefully the model shop in Harrogate will have humbrol satin varnish in later this week

Cheers

James

• 1 month later...

A DP2 in BR blue ? ;-)

Growing up in Manchester, our friendly drivers out of Victoria had told us that DP2 was to be transferred to Crewe to operate amongst the new class 50 fleet when they arrive, so expect to see DP2 on the Manchester - Glasgow runs. Then Thirsk!

We were more concerned about losing the 40's on these runs.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived