Industrial locomotives in the late 80s to mid 90s

Thanks, James. Well I'm on a roll now and as I've nowt better to do at the moment I've scanned a few more. :)

post-494-0-35234800-1294428075_thumb.jpg

Of course not everywhere was as accomodating to young industrial enthusiasts as the places in my last post. One Sunday morning in February 1988, after climbing the wall at Sweet Street West to gain illicit access to BR's Holbeck shed yard, we walked on to the Jack Lane works of the Hunslet Engine Co. That's when it really was the Hunslet Engine Co. and not simply a name used by a firm in the midlands... Being a Sunday there was no one working but there was a gripper in the security office so we asked him if we could walk down the yard to photograph the engines. He flatly refused so it was out with the 200mm zoom lens. The line of locos were all Hunslet and Barclay products awaiting their turn in works. I would later get a proper mooch about the works as a member of a Middleton Railway working party rescuing a mine tub for preservation.

post-494-0-20948900-1294428889_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately a lot of my photos at this time were of dead locomotives. It seemed that industrial locos were arriving at Booth's from closed collieries every week and we turned up one day in April 88to find this sorry sight. HC D1154, formerly known as 21 Carl No61, had arrived from Manvers Main colliery. The loco was cut up and there's now no trace of Manvers Main.

post-494-0-45307400-1294429188_thumb.jpg

This pair of Hunslets, seen inside the loco shed at the Longbridge car factory in 1996, were originally built for use at Templeborough steelworks in Rotherham. They had last been used at United Engineering Steels' Aldwarke works until being sold off. The locos were maintained by travelling fitters from a company called Wilmott Bros. who had a yard near Ilkeston, which was somewhere I would also visit. I believe at least one of the locos is still operational under the ownership of HNRC but Longbridge works is now a flattened wasteland.

post-494-0-43929400-1294429656_thumb.jpg

The Procor (formerly Charles Roberts) works at Horbury Junction had operated for many years by using a road tractor fitted with a buffing plate and so it was a surprise to walk past in December 95 and find this beast in charge of shunting wagons. L.J. Breeze is (was?) a Steelman type loco and was Rolls Royce w/n 10275. Horbury Junction works is where the class 60 bodies and the eurotunnel loco bodies were built. It came to be owned by Bombardier Transportation and has since closed. I've no idea what became of the loco.

• Like 14

post-494-0-06930700-1294420997_thumb.jpg

FH3677. This loco, built by F.C. Hibberd in 1953, was an SCW type and belonged to the Tinsley Wire Company. It was still in occasional use at the time I photographed it in March 89. I believe that the loco is scrapped and TWL is no more, the site being flattened.

Someone went a little overboard with the new wasp strip transfers but it has a certain critter appeal about it.

Nice industrial images, not seen often enough, but I guess gaining access with a camera was difficult.

L.J. Breeze is (was?) a Steelman type loco and was Rolls Royce w/n 10275. Horbury Junction works is where the class 60 bodies and the eurotunnel loco bodies were built. It came to be owned by Bombardier Transportation and has since closed. I've no idea what became of the loco.

I have a strong feeling that this loco can now be found at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway where it is painted green and used on p/way trains.

• Like 1

Dave,

Was this the scene you were faced with on arrival at Croft ?

Brian R

It might have been similar but isn't that Bardon Hill? Industrial locations tended to be not tooo difficult to bunk/get invited in by the gateman but most enthusiasts just weren't interested.

kev

Industrial locations tended to be not tooo difficult to bunk/get invited in by the gateman but most enthusiasts just weren't interested.

I think thats changed now - the industrial locations I have visited with work have tended to be quite tight on security - much like a lot of companies and sites. Tata (Corus), for example have banned photography at Scunthorpe. On the tours you're only supposed to take photos of the AFRPS stock. But you can guess how I found out about this rule! :lol:

But I think if you make contact with the company there are still chances to get in.

post-6742-0-83494700-1294572266_thumb.jpg

An 88DS class loco, w/n 466630 or 1962, at C.F. Booth's Rotherham yard in February 1988. This loco had come from Roe Bros. who merged with Booths at some point. Their yard was at the end of a truncated line from Tinsley Stn. Jct. Elizabeth, as it was once named, was used once or twice to shunt scrap wagons at its new home but was laid aside with a leak on the air start system. It was later saved for preservation by members of the GYRPS at Starbeck.

Later also named Octavius Atkinson, and now resplendent in Loadhaul livery on the DVLR!

Their website suggests that this is the only 88DS fitted for passenger use.

It might have been similar but isn't that Bardon Hill? Industrial locations tended to be not tooo difficult to bunk/get invited in by the gateman but most enthusiasts just weren't interested.

You may be right.

I was driving past, and came upon the place by accident, circa early 90s.

Didn't make a note of where I was (very unusual for me).

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Nice pics, keep 'em coming. Particularly if you have any more of the ex-Templeborough/Longbridge 67Te Hunslets, I'd be most grateful!

This thread also prompts me to get on and finish my Judith Edge TH Steelman.

Cheers,

Mick

I've definitely got some of one of the Longbridge Hunslets at work and I may have some very poor shots of when they were at Aldwarke.

Brian R's pic is definitely Bardon Hill. They had a pair of Steelman locos, one green and one yellow. I visited a couple of times and I remember the green one being out of use with the engine out.

I'm sure the DVLR are wrong about Octavious Atkinson being the only 88DS fitted for passenger use. It may be the only one in regular passenger use but the Middleton Railway had one of the ex-Rowntrees locos vac-fitted. I've got a whole series of pics from when 466630 arrived at Starbeck and was repainted for an open day there. I was a volunteer at Starbeck until the railway closed and moved to Murton. I'd catch a bus from home to Leeds and then the train from there to Starbeck before I had a car. I'll see if I can find them.

A few more pics...

post-494-0-80722500-1294581191_thumb.jpg

Blackburn Meadows sewage works can be seen when crossing the M1 Tinsley viaduct by looking to the left when southbound. It has been modernised now and the railway is long gone but in 1991 the standard gauge internal railway was still working. The system was, at one time, connected to the big railway and a full description and history can be found in Sheffield's Sewage Works Railways by Adrian Booth and published as IRR No. 106 by the Industrial Railway Society. The photo shows TH265v. I've seen narrow gauge sewage works systems modelled but never a standard gauge one. I think it would be something different from the ordinary to see at an exhibition.

post-494-0-77713200-1294581275_thumb.jpg

Another Steelman loco but this time one numbered in Thomas Hill works number range. I'm afraid I didn't note it on the slide though. Seen here at British Steel's Shelton works, Etruria, near Stoke, 1997. This works has since closed and the site is unrecogisable now.

post-494-0-20265400-1294581326_thumb.jpg

JF4210142. This loco once worked on the Derwent Valley Light Railway when it was a proper freight-carrying railway. I saw it working in April 88 at Marple & Gillott's scrap yard at East Coast Road, Sheffield. I think it became part of the scrap pile itself not long afterwards. It was named Claude Thompson and was still carrying its lined green DVLR livery. IIRC this was taken on the occasion that we caught a Peak-hauled train from Wakefield to Rotherham and walked to Sheffield. Along the way we saw industrial locos at 7 different locations. I think this yard and Aldwarke are the only ones that remain in use and rail-connected.

post-494-0-89015900-1294581389_thumb.jpg

United Engineering Steels operated several of these 0-6-0DE Janus class locos, built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. when I took this shot from the hills above Stocksbridge. Happily this is one site that is still going and still using rail to carry its products.Anyone modelling POA wagons take note of just how bashed about they got!

• Like 8

L J Breeze is at Wirksworth, I believe Bombardier gave it to them (and we do a kit for this loco). Eurotunnel locos were not built at Horbury though - they were built at Qualter Hall in Barnsley.

Michael Edge

But not listed on your web site.

L J Breeze is at Wirksworth, I believe Bombardier gave it to them (and we do a kit for this loco). Eurotunnel locos were not built at Horbury though - they were built at Qualter Hall in Barnsley.

Michael Edge

My memory must be going because I seem to remember the Eurotunnel bodies going on low-loaders along the Wakefield road. Did they build the coaches/wagons at Horbury?

Here are some from what is my most memorable day chasing industrials.

In July 96 I took a few days holiday in South Wales with the aim of visiting the various steelworks and other industrial sites. I'd bought an OS map, which showed a public footpath crossing the BR main lines and the point where Margam yard met BSC metals at Port Talbot steelworks. I reckoned that if I stood on the path, between tracks, then I wasn't trespassing. I wasn't sure of this strategy and still wary of being chased off by either BR or BSC employees when this beast came out of the works, heading for the exchange sidings...

post-494-0-92369400-1294591228_thumb.jpg

BT97/WB3142 was built by W.G. Bagnll for the Steel Company of Wales to an order by Brush Traction, using Brush electrical equipment and so has a works number from both companies. This is one of the rebodied locos. It came, dropped its wagons and left with another set - the crew obviously saw me but said nothing so I assumed I was safe...

And then another hove into view...

post-494-0-59609100-1294591303_thumb.jpg

BT94/WB3139. One of the original machines. As this train drew up to the level crossing the driver slowed right down and opened his window. I thought I was going to get a bollocking but he brought the train to a stand and shouted to ask if I'd like a ride. Do bears sh*t in the woods?

post-494-0-67019000-1294591331_thumb.jpg

So I stood in the cab as we trundled through Margam yard...

Then we stopped and as the shunter got down and uncoupled the train the driver got out of his seat and lit a fag, pointing to the seat and asking if I'd like a go. Well, I thought that my birthday and Christmas had come at once so I was in the seat before he could change his mind.He asked me if I'd ever driven anything like this before and I said yes, Of course that was a bit of a lie. I'd driven a narrow gauge Ruston and a couple of V-skips but nothing like this. I soon sussed out the controls and told him what was what. Air brake, forward/reverse , power handle etc. So off we went. I changed direction after we'd cleared the points and headed back toward the level crossing. At that point I expected he'd take control again but no - he had me back the loco down onto a set of empties and haul them off into the works! I must admit that I did a damn good job of backing onto the train, compressing the buffers just enough for the shunter to couple up with his pole first time.

post-494-0-39508300-1294591361_thumb.jpg

post-494-0-50026100-1294591425_thumb.jpg

The driver and his mate. Cheers fellas!

• Like 19

Here are a few more.

post-494-0-00258300-1294694686_thumb.jpg

FH3768 & 3799 at C.F. Booth's Rotherham yard in April 88. This pair had originally worked for Samuel Williams at Dagenham dock. The yard was also full of Cemflo wagons for from Blue Circle Cement that were here for cutting.

post-494-0-98438000-1294694923_thumb.jpg

Another scrapyard in August the same year. RH 186309, a 44/48HP loco (like the one in my avatar) had been new to British Acheson Electrodes, Wincobank, Sheffield in 1937 and as far as I am aware had been here at Vernon & Roberts Peel St. yard in Stalybridge since 1965.

post-494-0-31416400-1294695134_thumb.jpg

RR10236. Yes it is a Rolls Royce! The firm constructed 3 Janus locomotives to the Yorkshire Engine Co. design at the Sentinel works in Shrewsbury after YE had ceased to produce locomotives. It is seen here at BSC's Appleby-Frodingham works in Jan. 89.

post-494-0-83946200-1294695634_thumb.jpg

An unidentified TH 4wDH at Shell's Stanlow refinery in 1996.

• Like 8

The photos at the Margam knuckle yard are espiecally interesting. Do you know where I could find out more about these locos? Keep the photos coming! This is my favourite thread on this site now. :)

There are two excellent books on Bagnall locomotives by Allan Baker and T. D. Allen Civil (one quite a bit more expensive than the other!):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bagnalls-Stafford-Builders-Locomotives-Railways/dp/0954454626/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1294784216&sr=8-6

and - this is the cheaper, but still rather good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bagnall-Locomotives-Pictorial-Album-Standard/dp/187198047X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294784216&sr=8-2

Note that these cover all of Bagnall's diverse output, not only the SCoW diesels. Other booksellers are available.

Adam

• Like 1

The photos at the Margam knuckle yard are espiecally interesting. Do you know where I could find out more about these locos? Keep the photos coming! This is my favourite thread on this site now. :)

What do you want to know? I've got an original sales booklet for these and the 0-4-0DEs that were supplied to SCoW. It has a description of the locos, loco photos, a GA drawing and photos of the power unit. I'd scan it but my flatbed scanner won't talk to the laptop because I don't have the driver for it and I'm not sure how we stand with the forum rules on copyright.

All all-Ruston lot this time.

The pair that started it all. RH42483 & RH284838 in Crossley's scrapyard, Shipley, October 88. At this time they were supposedly spares to the Hunslet 0-4-0DH. Apparently, the blue one was capable of working but it wasn't capable of starting its own engine (some fault on the compresso ror air reciever) so the donkey engine on the brown one was started and it filled the reciever on it. A flexible hose from a lorry was attached between the two so the blue one's engine could be started.

post-494-0-63057200-1294849333_thumb.jpg

Ruston & Hornsby 165DS class w/n 414303 at the Pyewipe works of Tioxide UK near Great Coates. On this visit there was no rail movements and this loco's wheels were out for attention. I paid a visit another time and saw one of the 165DS locos working. At the time of this visit the railway only saw action when a ship full of illmenite docked at Grimsby and the company's own fleet of tippler wagons was used to bring the stuff from the docks to the works.

post-494-0-56665000-1294849397_thumb.jpg

An 88DS still working into the 1990s! RH466626 worked at a railtank cleaning firm at Ellesmere Port. Jake services or something?Seen here at rest in 1996.

post-494-0-81559400-1294849485_thumb.jpg

post-494-0-86488900-1294849510_thumb.jpg

Grant Lyon Eagre were railway contractors and had a plant yard in Scotter Road, Scunthorpe. They used a pair of ancient 48DS locos on track laying contracts around the UK. I photographed them in 1995, I think. I recall seeing one at sometime in the late 90s in use on a contract near Bescot yard.

post-494-0-24245900-1294849542_thumb.jpg

Another, similar, contractor was Trackwork Ltd. who had their plant yard at Kirk Sandall, near Doncaster. They used this 48DS, w/n 417889, named Charles, as their sole loco at the time (June 91) and later acquired an 88DS from British Gypsum.

post-494-0-91773100-1294850610_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

One of the GLE 48DS was used at Eurotunnel's Cheriton terminal during track laying, along with one of their Walrus wagons.

Quilter-Hall did the body shells for Eurotunnel's tri-Bbs- they then went to Marcroft for painting, before heading to Brush at Loughborough for final assembly. The ET tourist rakes (or at least the carrier wagons) were built in Canada (body shells), then fitted out at Bombardier's plants at Crespin and Nivelles. The tourist loader wagons, and the HGV trains, were built by Breda in Italy. All the stock arrived in Calais by barge, as they were too high for the motorway bridges.

One of the GLE 48DS was used at Eurotunnel's Cheriton terminal during track laying, along with one of their Walrus wagons.

A couple of Grants' Walruses (or Walrusi?) are now used at Scunthorpe steelworks on p-way duties there.

A couple of Grants' Walruses (or Walrusi?) are now used at Scunthorpe steelworks on p-way duties there.

That's fairly amazing, especially if they were from an SR build, though I doubt that. The Rustons have been retired though, surely?

[linguistic pedant point]It's just Walrus btw (like sheep, singular and plural are the same), and the word isn't Latin so shouldn't take a Latin ending - unless you're writing in Latin of course in which case, all bets are off - it's either Dutch or Norse in origin I believe.[/linguistic pedant point].

Adam

• Like 1