Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Farewell to Charlotte Road

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Today Mike T and I recovered the signal box and the bracket signal, photos tomorrowadded.

The new owner is visiting next week to check everything and then the layout will be dismantled for one final time, put in his van and Goodbye ! :drink_mini:

The photos were taken with my snappy camera so apologies for the poor quality in some cases.

• RMweb Gold

How could you part with such a great looking layout.

Terry

Very easily, it's not mine :lol: - it's done it's job, time to move onward and upward, the US of A is calling us to make a layout and if we kept Lotty that would never happen, so sadly (in some ways) it has to go

• RMweb Gold

That's a fine looking layout with beautiful trackwork… it just looks so 'anatomically correct'. Shame I never got to see it in the raw. I guess you must have put an awful lot of graft into that.

Cheers, it's been a few years in the making, originally a terminus it was converted to a roundy round several years ago, Tony Sissons and Tim Rogers did most of the visible work, myself and Mike Turner extended the wiring and control systems, and I sorted the computer control of the signalling / routes. Lotty was to blame for the creation of our MILF :)

• RMweb Gold

:blink: Ooh-er, missus! I think I'm missing something here… would you care to explain?

Just do a search ;)

Mikes Intelligent Line Finder - an idea started by Mike Turner - pictured below after another MILF session - basically a random train generator, which makes running roundy roundy layouts more interesting, we don't have up or down drivers, we just have drivers, the software determines which train is next to run, sometimes following a previous train, sometimes on the other line, sometimes a yard shunt or a bay turnback etc.

When I finish MILF 2011 I will document it, and it's workings, on the forum.

post-6662-0-48019300-1294574608_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The new owner (or "soon to be" as he was) visited the cabin today, liked it, and the layout will leave WFRM on 22 January 2011. We hope the new owner gets lots of enjoyment out of it.

I wish that we had the room for a layout like that. For some reason, I particularly like the feature of the disused track on the overbridge - I don't recall ever seeing that sort of feature on a layout before.

You folks should be proud of yourselves on what you have achieved and that you have been able to show to others what can be achieved. It is a pity that Charlotte Road has been sold - do you know if the new owner intends to exhibit the layout?

Good luck with your new build. I for one - and no doubt other members of this forum - look forward to seeing your new American layout. I do hope that you will keep us updated with the progress of the build through this forum.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, Lynda and myself will be able to pay you a visit on one of your club nights when we visit my father - he lives in West Kirby, so not too far away.

Our regards

David and Lynda

• RMweb Gold

I wish that we had the room for a layout like that. For some reason, I particularly like the feature of the disused track on the overbridge - I don't recall ever seeing that sort of feature on a layout before.

You folks should be proud of yourselves on what you have achieved and that you have been able to show to others what can be achieved. It is a pity that Charlotte Road has been sold - do you know if the new owner intends to exhibit the layout?

Good luck with your new build. I for one - and no doubt other members of this forum - look forward to seeing your new American layout. I do hope that you will keep us updated with the progress of the build through this forum.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, Lynda and myself will be able to pay you a visit on one of your club nights when we visit my father - he lives in West Kirby, so not too far away.

Our regards

David and Lynda

Hi David,

thanks for the compliments :blush:

I'm not sure if the new owner intends to exhibit but I doubt it, he's even older than us :)

The new build will be documented on here, some work on Widnes first and then, construction begins, I've already got my eyes on some nice American wagons, which are to be released in a couple of months.

You don't have to wait for an open day to visit, if we are in the cabin (most, but not all, Saturdays from around 10:00 - 15:00) then we welcome anyone (yes, anyone!) who wants to drop by. Obviously check first.

PS - I'm from the Wirral myself

• RMweb Gold

I confess I was not familiar with Charlotte Road before the announcement of its retirement, but what a fantastic layout. The trackwork is not only very realistic in appearance, it flows organically - it just looks right! I don't suppose I'm offering anything new here, but felt the need to pay tribute anyway. Now when will WVY be coming up for retirement....?

• RMweb Gold

I confess I was not familiar with Charlotte Road before the announcement of its retirement, but what a fantastic layout. The trackwork is not only very realistic in appearance, it flows organically - it just looks right! I don't suppose I'm offering anything new here, but felt the need to pay tribute anyway.

Thanks

Now when will WVY be coming up for retirement....?

Shortly after the Darlington 20xx show (xx to be decided :lol: )

The new owner (or "soon to be" as he was) visited the cabin today, liked it, and the layout will leave WFRM on 22 January 2010. We hope the new owner gets lots of enjoyment out of it.

Beast i take it you have the use of the Drs Tardis if its leaving on the 22/01/2010 or is Your DCC letting you Time travel now :D :D B)

• RMweb Gold

I thought something had gone wrong with the forum as my posting appeared within Mozzers - my brain has finally woken up to the fact that I am a moderator of the WFRM area and I must have pressed edit by mistake, sorry Brian, I've removed my comment from your posting. :blush: :pardon_mini:

Beast i take it you have the use of the Drs Tardis if its leaving on the 22/01/2010 or is Your DCC letting you Time travel now :D :D B)

Thanks Brian, now corrected.

I confess I was not familiar with Charlotte Road before the announcement of its retirement, but what a fantastic layout. The trackwork is not only very realistic in appearance, it flows organically - it just looks right! I don't suppose I'm offering anything new here, but felt the need to pay tribute anyway. Now when will WVY be coming up for retirement....?

That is a real pity, the stock that used to run on it was equally as gorgeous. But some history for you since you were not familiar with Charlotte Road up until now.

I built Charlotte Road at my home in North Carolina, USA. Then shipped it to Tim Rogers home before the advent of WFRM in early 2000. At that time it was a 16 foot terminus to fiddle yard end to end layout. Tim and I first exhibited it together with Tim Horn at ExpoEM 2000. We ran it in this format for three years at various expos up and down the country. In 2004 WFRM was formed and it was decided to make Charlotte Road into a larger circular layout. Tim and the then new members of WFRM built a new fiddle yard and end/corner boards, lighting and as beast has already mentioned, he and Mike and Tim did a complete re-wiring of the original boards and the new fiddle yard boards plus other sundry components. Tim re-built a good number of the points, not only because some I had originally made were a bit naff, but because Charlotte Road was originally a single line out of the station and to double track it some of the track had to be relocated. Plus he and Mike Turner built all the new track for the fiddle yard. Whilst they were doing this aspect of the new configuration I spent three separate single month stints in England that year to do all the additional scenic work, in fact the only pieces of the scenic area of the layout I didn't build were the four red houses you see to the right of the first one. These were built by ex WFRM member Richard Oldfield under my direction using the additional parts I made for him to add to those houses. For the record all the scenic work you can see in Beasts pictures was done by myself, Tony Sissons.

The decision to sell Charlotte Road was made because as modellers, Tim Rogers and I wanted to move on and involve ourselves with new things, new ideas and furthermore operating Charlotte Road time and time again does, quite honestly, get a little old. We had already carried out many changes on the layout. It once had semaphore signals, these were changed for colour light signal. It once had a signal box at the end of platform two, this was removed and a new box located a few hundred scale yards dow the line.

Here's a fun fact; Charlotte Road never appeared at its next expo in the same format as its prior expo. As Micheal Cain would say "notta lotta people know that". For me, the layout is much older than its 10 year exhibition run, being in my house for six years prior to that in the building stage. I sure wanted a change and one morning in 2007, after Tim had picked me up from Manchester airport, we both agreed that we were bored with the layout and made the decision that 2010 would be Charlotte Roads last tour of the exhibition circuit. That was to be at Darlington this year but, alas, the snow took that away from many of us who were looking forward to seeing her for the last time.

So all we have is beasts images here, but there is a good thing. Charlotte Road is going to a caring new owner. Oh, and one more thing, the new owner told me at Wigan, when I met him for the first time, that he will NOT be exhibiting the layout and it will be firmly placed its new place of residence in Wolverhampton and run in a new guise, LSWR 1927. So the old semaphore signals and original signal box that we salvaged will be re-commissioned and the old - new signal box, a copy of the box at Honiton in Devon together with three, I think of the colour light signals and the gantry are for sale.

What is left is my thanks to all the modellers who supported and appreciated Charlotte Road. For those who stood watching the trains go by, our layout description for exhibition programmes always stated; dream and let the layout take you back to days gone by, days you'll never return to - it was the 'dream' word that made the layout what it was. I hope you all enjoyed.

Cheers, Tony Sissons

• RMweb Gold

Tony

I'm really grateful for the background story. I can understand that such a long association with the project could lead to boredom, but it's all relative. For someone like me, a layout like this is currently no more than a pipe dream - something that I can aspire to. One thing's for sure. You and the WFRM crew can be proud of what you achieved.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Tony

I'm really grateful for the background story. I can understand that such a long association with the project could lead to boredom, but it's all relative. For someone like me, a layout like this is currently no more than a pipe dream - something that I can aspire to. One thing's for sure. You and the WFRM crew can be proud of what you achieved.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Trevor, I omitted one item of scenics that I did not build, that was the footbridge kit which Mike Turner assembled. Sorry Mike for forgetting that you did this and leaving you out of my longer post.

Trevor, be sure you take a good look at the other WFRM layout - Widnes Vine Yard, it will be displayed at the upcoming Alexandra Palace show at the end of March this year. Personally I think its nicer than Charlotte Road, but I prefer modern power rather than older power, more my bag. It has some nice models on it.

Our next layout which I'm constructing stock and the signals for here in N. Carolina, will be better than our previous efforts, if it isn't, it means none of us have learned very much.

Cheers, Tony

Archived