Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

Hi Guys,

No beating around the bush - it's with a heavy heart that we're going to have to let GQS go.

Dwindling work on it on 2013 has been down to other commitments in real life - me and Chris have new jobs which don't give us a lot of modelling time, and a project as big as GQS isn't something we can achieve right now. We know the work we've put into it has worked up to quite a few hours and quite a few £££, but it's currently sat stagnant in our club rooms and therefore it's off to pastures new.

We've had one or two interested parties in acquiring it but we'd prefer it to go to a like-minded indivudual/club/team who wants to finish it - it's 99% there and we're more than happy to share the wealth of information we've researched and acquired to a group who wants to make GQS '88 a reality.

If you're interested, get in touch. I'll be adding a full advert to the classifieds soon (we're after a few £ to recoup some of our investment...).

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

As Scottish Modellers - the society - I have asked Dave to let us have the price to purchase the layout.

If we are successful - we intend to carry on from the current state of the layout and complete it as soon as possible.

Then we would exhibit it around the Scottish Exhibition circuit.

Thanks

It's a real shame to hear you are going to have to let the layout go. Remember seeing it a couple of years ago in your club rooms. GQS in P4 is still progressing slowly. Hope you find a buyer and look forward to seeing the layout completed.

Bill

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did the layout get sold?

I am intending to model GQS and Eastfield and would be willing to purchase if available.

I have been waiting patiently for response to this last question

It looks like you have run into the same problem as I had, the history of this layout since is unknown

There are rumours it was purchased by a local private collector, then stripped

Even in N gauge, this is very large

The first issue is the length of the tunnel, unless you use module / DCC to hold the train in the tunnel

Next is including Cowlairs depot / triangle, depending on period being covered

Finally, is the size of Eastfield depot itself

Hi,

Yes, the layout as been sold on. I believe the layout has since been dismantled.

There are currently 2 4mm layouts of Glasgow Queen St under construction that I am aware of. A P4 one based in 1979 / 1985 and an EM one which I think is based in 1988? (After the 2 sidings adjacent to platform 1 were lifted)

Cheers, Bill.

What is the overall size of the whole layout

I would suggest reading the entire thread, we have dug up an old fossil

My own N gauge layout has an almost identical setup, and fits into a room measuring 12 foot x 8 foot

So in OO gauge I suspect the layout would have been about 20 foot x 16 foot

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

As Scottish Modellers - the society - I have asked Dave to let us have the price to purchase the layout.

If we are successful - we intend to carry on from the current state of the layout and complete it as soon as possible.

Then we would exhibit it around the Scottish Exhibition circuit.

Thanks

Was the layout ever purchased and used in the exhibition?

Archived