Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

Hi all,

Remember the problem when you run an HST into Queen Street...

It blocks up the crossovers and access to all the other platforms.

The changes in 88 included a crossover inside the tunnel to enable other trains to acces the platforms if an HST was sat in the station.

At about the same time both lines became Bi-directional

Billywhizz - this affects you more than David M and the guys.

HTH!

Wasn't the crossover in the tunnel Phil there since the 1967 changes? - at least it was in 1977

post-6691-0-08164600-1295307004_thumb.jpg

It's still centred on the 1st Tunnel eye (though the layouts the same but with different Crossing & Signal numbers).

Wasn't the problem one of signal section occupancy blocking the platforms (it sat ahead of the P7 Platform signal)?

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't the crossover in the tunnel Phil there since the 1967 changes? - at least it was in 1977

post-6691-0-08164600-1295307004_thumb.jpg

It's still centred on the 1st Tunnel eye (though the layouts the same but with different Crossing & Signal numbers).

Wasn't the problem one of signal section occupancy blocking the platforms (it sat ahead of the P7 Platform signal)?

Hi Bob,

You may be right and I may have misunderstood what I was told.

I was sure that there was a new crossover added further back in the tunnel to prevent the problems.

However - what you said about the P7 Platform Signal rang a bell.

The section showed occupied and that prevented the release of the crossovers.

Will have to dig out the diaries again!

Thanks

Hi all,

Remember the problem when you run an HST into Queen Street...

It blocks up the crossovers and access to all the other platforms.

The changes in 88 included a crossover inside the tunnel to enable other trains to acces the platforms if an HST was sat in the station.

At about the same time both lines became Bi-directional

Billywhizz - this affects you more than David M and the guys.

HTH!

Hi Phil,

I have gone back through all the photos that I can find from the mid 70's onwards and cannot find any with the crossover outside the tunnel mouth (although the O/S maps upto 1989 show 2 crossovers that were removed in the 60's)

http://briandaniels.fotopic.net/p19740091.html

The above photo from Brian Daniels Fotopic dated April 1984 is the track configuration I am looking to recreate as this will allow me to run stock from the early 70's to early 1986

regards, Bill.

There never was a crossover outside the tunnel mouth post 1967 - it was always (and remains) inside the tunnel. Look back at page 1 to the BR diagram - aint' no crossover there right up to the tunnel mouth. The later (posting wise) diagram on this page shows inside the tunnel mouth - with crossover.

http://briandaniels..../p19740091.html

The above photo from Brian Daniels Fotopic dated April 1984 is the track configuration I am looking to recreate as this will allow me to run stock from the early 70's to early 1986

regards, Bill.

Bill, apart from the point & signal numbering (and of course the physical equipment itself being renewed) which has changed, the layout as in Brians photo still remains today (bar the former carriage sidings) - and the monstrous building over all too much of it now!

Quick update on GQS for you all! the whole team went up to the club rooms yesterday and had a good play! and everything is still working fine (touch wood) we spent the day measuring and marking the platforms and retaining walls, But Dave and flex will be able to fill you in on the details!

This week my old man and i have have been busy in our Loco work shop, and have managed to out shop

So as you can tell we have been Very busy! This now leaves us stood with 6 Shove duffs! all thats left is to weather the new 3 and then start on the rest :)

thats all for now

Chris

Here's a quick pic of the works Chris describes:

post-10071-0-12700200-1295908691_thumb.jpg

Not much work in the way of plastics and modelling (apart from the two Cowlairs tunnel buildings having had preliminary construction), but this gives a sense of platform, bridge and ballast etc. Helps with the measuring too! :)

C/W's starting to get there as well, the first finished(?) coach for the layout was churned out of the works this week, Polmadie based Mk2 BSOA No. 9416:

post-10071-0-97384500-1295908911_thumb.jpg

Plenty of work including sitting people, open droplights, destination stickers and ScotRail transfers (didn't open up the guards window as this one's likely to be the one locked out in the middle of a Fort Bill/Oban rake, and I don't trust myself to open up pressure vents yet! :blink:).

It's not quite up to the standards of the Aberdeen Kirkhill boyos but I hope to get mine up to theirs someday :lol: It'll be hopefully be fitted with Kadees and such at a later date.

Hopefully starting on a BSO(T) next, does anyone have any photos/diagrams of how it's done in one? I've got one for a TSOT, which I assume is pretty similar, but I'm just wondering if there's any subtle differences in a brake version.

Cheers

Alex

Hopefully starting on a BSO(T) next, does anyone have any photos/diagrams of how it's done in one? I've got one for a TSOT, which I assume is pretty similar, but I'm just wondering if there's any subtle differences in a brake version.

Hi,

There is a couple of photos of 9107 half way down this page

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c247111_121.html

Carl

• RMweb Gold

I was sure that there was a new crossover added further back in the tunnel to prevent the problems.

However - what you said about the P7 Platform Signal rang a bell.

The section showed occupied and that prevented the release of the crossovers.

As an enthusiastic layman looking at this I would suggest the HST blocked access to some of the platforms, I doubt if it would drop a track over the crossover but I'd need to see the BR signalling (with track circuits) plan to be sure. What it does (assuming my theory is correct) mean is all traffic is concentrated on one line into and out of the station, this could cause it's own problems, over and above simply managing the traffic, depending on signal location, for instance CQ13 on the plan is not far enough away from the crossover to allow a train to approach from Cowlairs whilst one was departing, or signalled to depart, the signalling was more restrictive pre Cowlairs.

The changes in the mid 1980s came about when Cowlairs panel took control of the area, notices occasionally appear on eBay but go for a lot of money.

Quick update/PLEE!!!!!

If anyone watching the thread or just passing who collects/owns Heljan Class 47's I am desperate for the TDM/TDR cables that sit on the front of the 47/7's as so far i have been using the last of the packs i had from my EX Heljan duffs but i have run out now! and Howes dont just do the Spru thatcomes with them on!(they do a 'big spru' with everything on that i dont need) The spru i need comes with 4 cables and 2 ETH cables part numbers 66, 67 and 34 Please PM me if ou can help,

Thanks for now

Chris W

Quick update/PLEE!!!!!

If anyone watching the thread or just passing who collects/owns Heljan Class 47's I am desperate for the TDM/TDR cables that sit on the front of the 47/7's as so far i have been using the last of the packs i had from my EX Heljan duffs but i have run out now! and Howes dont just do the Spru thatcomes with them on!(they do a 'big spru' with everything on that i dont need) The spru i need comes with 4 cables and 2 ETH cables part numbers 66, 67 and 34 Please PM me if ou can help,

Thanks for now

Chris W

Have you tried A1 models

TDM jumper cables ?

As you can see on the above photos my dad spent an hour or two painting the first coats on the side of the rails with Rust and (black)oil so these need to be touched in to finnish it off,

following this, last night my self and Dave started work on fitting the point motors we have chosen Fulgrex slow action critters which seem to do the job really well! we are hoping in the next 2 weeks to have these in place and wired up to two LS150's and controlled eventually of an ECoS which will provide us with Route Setting but for now they will just be run of our Lenz 100's which are to be used for the running of the mainlines :D so when we run at shows we will have a minimum of 3 operators at any one time 1 on the up line, 1 on the down line and another acting as signalman! The reason we are using Lenz 100's for the Mainlines and an ECoS for the signals/points is so that they are controlled indipendently and if we need an emergancy controller the ECoS can fill in or if the ECoS packs in we can chuck the Lenz 100 on to signalling so its fool proof (and trust me.. with a few of our team we need it :P )

so it should be really good to operate for a day or two :D

thats all for now

Chris

• RMweb Gold

eventually of an ECoS which will provide us with Route Setting

Does this control the aspect of the signals ?

I assume it doesn't allow any form of interlocking, so if another person sets a different route the second route takes precedence ?

It's a pity RailRoad is so expensive, it would be nice to see this fully interlocked with an NX panel controlling it.

Does this control the aspect of the signals ?

I assume it doesn't allow any form of interlocking, so if another person sets a different route the second route takes precedence ?

It's a pity RailRoad is so expensive, it would be nice to see this fully interlocked with an NX panel controlling it.

I'd absolutely LOVE a full interlocking system on GQS but as you say, the cost of RailRoad is prohibitive. The ECoS allows for signal and point setting which can be combined into sequences - and yes, the second setting would take precedence over the first. It's not a perfect system but it's as close as we're likely to get without breaking the bank - although the dream of a fully accurately signalling system is still there....

Dave

quick update on GQS,

The poimt motors are starting to be installed, and two class 47's have just been out shopped 47577 and 47674( if i remember rightly) also a second DBSO is nearly complete just waiting for glazing and passengers!

thats all for now,

Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Howdo all, As we havent had an update for a while i thought id just pop somthing up to let readers know how we are doing,

Despite no post's all things QS have been progressing! We have now got the final materials needed to finnish of installing the point motors so tonight im hoping to have them all installed and signed off!

Also the second DBSO has been completed, and is waiting weathering, and yet another Shove duff has been done... only because we had the locos we needed lying about :unsure: so as of yesterday 47709 joined the fleet and is waiting weathering! ive been told thats it for now, but knowing my old man the other few we need will probly be done before the end of the year!

I also took delivery of two SPT busses yesterday from that model shop in Liverpool, and they are really nice looking, these will be enterd in to the work shop in the next few days to have number and routes changed as these will be on the road over bridge outside the canopy, also speaking of busses, my class 120 DMU has enterd the work shop again to be finnished off and have a Replica DMU chassis fitted!

either myself or Dave will get some photos tonight and post em up tonight or tomorrow so you can all have a look at the progres,

Thats all for now

Chris

well then,

With DaveM off enjoying his week in the IOM i spent the evening last night working on point motors, ive now managed to get them all in and wired up now and they are just waiting for a few final tweeks and cable trunking to tidy the wiring up and then they will be signed off,

Now the motors are done, next week we will be turning are attentions back to the surface! We have orderd the peco edging that we are going to use for the platforms so that should be here soon and then we will start to install the edges and then maybe the layout will start to look alot more like it should!

Once the edges are in we will build the rest of the builings then put them in and then surface the platforms and install the signals, after this the retaining walls will go in, shortly followed by the road bridges, when we are happy with it all we will then ballast and start the final stages!!!! so far the future is looking good!

When Dave returns we will post some photos and add some more news!

Tar for now

Chris

Another plee on behalf of the GQS lads,

I am currently building up the courage to tackle making the Colour light signals my self, Now what im after is if anyone on/off here knows if i can get my mits on drawings/plans for them?????

We have spent hours trolling differnt photo sites and collecting images of them all, But any one on here with photos in there own collection i would really be greatful if you could share them or send me a copy?

Im possibly gonna use Ekon kits as a base unless i find somthing better... or somone points me in the right direction...

ta for now chaps please post what ya can

Chris

Hi All,

A couple of progress shots.

The Fulgrex point motors are now wired up and fully functional. We did have a few concerns about their loudness but with a few EE's ticking away in the platforms, the point noise is actually quite a realistic volume and pitch :D

Some of the wiring is temporary - mainly that not contained in cable trunking (B+Qs finest....) with the LS150 providing the brains of the operation, although as said before full signalling and point working is planned, we've got a few options to be looking into!

The Platform edging is also temporarily positioned - GQS seems to have been 'patched up' throughout it's career with some areas of platforms rebuilt with the more modern concrete edging, and several different types of stone edges. We reckon we've got the locations of each specific type down to a tee and this will be replicated on the layout using the trusty Peco kits as a basis....it's suprising to see just who uses them these days :)

There's also a few pics of the latest fleet additions under conversion - still a bit to be done on most things but as BR said, we're getting there. :mellow:

gqs1.jpg

gqs2.jpg

gqs3.jpg

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Howdo all,

On Sunday the 4 members of the GQS '88 team made Another major step forward with the layout,

We managed to get all the platform edging put in place and also the first layer of surfacing on platforms 1,5, 6 and some of 3 & 4. We have done really well so far and hopefully on wednesday we will have the rest of 3/4.

All we half to do now is get the buildings made up so we can get the surfaces for plats 7 & 2 in!

So all is well in the GQS camp and photos will be put up tomorrow

Ta for now!

Chris

Archived