Glasgow Queen Street '88

DavidM

Hi All,

Further to Chris' post, here's another mini report.

We're currently getting the 'base' for the platforms in after shelling out for a good few metres of Peco platform edging. GQS's platforms are interestingly quite a hodgepodge of designs seemingly replaced, modified and 'bodged' over the years. The intention is to create all the varying designs with plasticard covers - we've pulled quite a few photos apart to work out just where the differing styles of edge change, and into what...! :blink:

Some preliminary work on the platform surfaces has also been carried out - the intention is to use sanded polyfilla with suede texture spray on top of plasticard which should create the desired effect as a base to work on.

In other news, we've briefly had use of a friend's spare ECoS system which had a quick spin on the layout - it does look like it could handle what we want it to, but I still feel that's it's not entirely suitable. Another late night looking up signalling options looms I think...!

Anyway here's a latest piccy - apologies for no shots of actual 'work in progress' shots but with all hands to the pump, there's unfortunately no-one around to wield a camera until end of play!

gqs1.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Chris,

Just thought I'd drop by again and catch up with your latest news. I'm watching your progress with interest. Nice to see the platform edges go in.

I like the Scottish duffs. They were such a ragbag of variations on the large logo livery (i.e. plenty of potential pitfalls for the modeller!). That shot of 47577 reminds me a shot of that loco I saw in "Scotland's Railways" I think it was. That mark on the headcode panel is very distinctive and you've got it just right. Good stuff.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

Cheers Dave! That really means a lot coming from someone who's Scottish Diesel modelling is awe inspiring - especially as you're at the other end of the line to us!

We've got quite a few 47s on the go currently and the aim is to do a 'bread and butter' selection of IS and ED /4s from the year, with one or two 'unusual' interlopers.....we've got evidence for a suprising amount of 47s popping into GQS in 1988 including some oddballs - 47484 in GWR Green, 47522 in LNER 'Parcels', 47018 in Railfreight....oh wait, we've done that one! :D

47577 is one of my favourites, and she was only really in the condition on the photo (and model!) for a short period, so it was integral that we got her right. There's been quite a bit of chopping and changing of tanks and bodies to get the locos just right but in my opinion the Bachmann 47/4 is a fantastic base to work on - it's just a huge shame the long range tanks from under the 47145 model haven't made it to the spares range..... our 47/7s currently have original style tanks slung underneath (with pipework added) however with full detail going into the bodies (correct marker lights, piping and detailing) the tanks are arguably less noticable. Will have to have a look at grafting some Vi-Trains examples on though!

Another quick shot of last night's progress (besides heading to a local Brewery tap....for evaluation purposes, honest!) is below - the platform 'bases' are in as is a test frontboard piece - we do intend to have the retaining wall in place at the Cowlairs end of the layout but feel it may detract from the layout at exhibitions - but theres some 'out of the box' thinking going into this one!

Cheers,

Dave

post-7341-0-53159100-1300394457_thumb.jpg

Evenin Dave,

I've seen this on another forum thou its not as detailed and updated as the topic you have here so i'll follow this 1 now, all looking good an from the pics i saw on the other forum you've really progressed well now.

Your 47's look the part and i'm liking your station taking shape now keep up the good work an keep the piccies coming in :rolleyes:

Cheers, Rich.

Howdo Rich,

Thanks for the comments,

We are progressing well with GQS and the hard work is starting to pay of for the four team members but theres still a while to go yet regarding rakes, stock, and general work on the actual layout! but we will get there!

Chris

Thanks for the interest Grimley! Will 20 of the blummin things do? .... i say 20 theres still a few more in the work shop as we speak :unsure: i never thought id ever say that being an EE man through and though but there growing on me slowly :O i spose its playing with the real things that do it? if not thats my excuse! BUT dont worry theres more EE traction to level it out what with all the 37/4's modeled that were north of the border and a fair wack of 20's i think we are safe for now :lol:

Chris

Ah I will really look forward to seeing this in the flesh. I remember standing on the platform in July 88, a mere boy of 15 waiting for my first ever 37/4 up the whl watching the mass of activity in queenstreet . Do you intend to add gradients up to the fiddle yard for thrash?

we really want to add the gradiants! that would be absolutly hell fire :D but sadly kind of impractical on the modeling front as the model wont be stoping at QS if we get the room and time but thats another plan :P , but seeing as we have access to sound chip recording gear we are trying to get a way to have the locos thrash there arse off when leaving the platform but coast into the platform!

but we will see :)

Chris

Hi Chris,

That sounds superb chap access to sound recordings too i luv me sound fitted loco's an if you can add extra thrash an play about with them i'd luv to see a vid if you do re-blow the chips this way sounds cool fela.

So 20's 37's and 47's well you can't ask for more all hellfire machines especially in the cracking liverys they wore back in the day, hope to see this in the flesh when finished an listen to all your sound fitted beautys too ;)

Cheers.

The GQS team are hoping to have the layout ready in the second quarter of next year, but to be honest this may be pushing the time frame a little, if its not done by then it won't be a problem as we are taking our time with this layout and want to get as much as pos right! In the next few weeks ill be adding a few posts based on rolling stock so regular watchers of the thread can start getting a feel for the stock that will drop on QS and there's some hell fire locos in the fleet!

Ta for now

Chris

Queen Street how i remember it in 88/89, must have been one of the last times i visited the area. It just wasnt the same after that, saying that how little did i know at the time. Too many overnights working out what the best way was to kip in a mk2. Also you'll need 20 47s as if they were ED ones they might have looked pretty but when i saw them there were either down south or adorned with failed again written on them somewhere :D (its wasnt me i tell you). Also writing "Eastfields finest" on most dirty and bashed 37/4 was also one i noticed alot. I shall have to get my old spotting books and photos out later on.

Paul

Howdo all quick update, not that exciting this time just only to report that Dave M's bank account took another GQS shaped dint on sunday with him buying another B/G 101 :rolleyes: ...

It has already enterd the work shop as its the last B/G 101 Hornby did with the four lights on the front, I have had to get the scaple out and carefully cut the 2 center lights off and fill em, Its just now awaiting undercoat, respraying yellow and then renumbering/bufferbeam detail

It seems like all ive worked on lately are bog carts and duffs :( hmmm i think im gonna have to make a start on 37423 that should spice things up B)

ill work out how to add photos and then throw some pics of the stock up for you all

Paul i would really appreciate it if you could type up what you saw at QS on your visit and also either email me or post your photos of QS up on this thread as it would give us a few more ideas on what produced on a typical day there,

Ta for now,

Chris

Just a trail post to see if these phots i have come up?

post-1189-0-68971000-1300734595_thumb.jpg

47018 a bit of an odd ball for passenger workings but she did drop in '88 so it works for me ;)

post-1189-0-15662100-1300734747_thumb.jpg

47708 Waverly, this was one of the first shoves completed,

post-1189-0-22747600-1300734866_thumb.jpg

47704 Dunedin,

post-1189-0-17293900-1300735002_thumb.jpg

20203 wierd loco, someone in the real world decided to plate over her head code box! thnak god shaw plan exist :P

post-1189-0-71422200-1300735217_thumb.jpg

An SPT 101 pretty much a need for the layout!

post-1189-0-61870200-1300735317_thumb.jpg

and a final view of a couple of the shoves

From left to right:

Hope that gives you a small insite as to some of the stock!! Ill get some more pics in a few days and throw them up for you all too :)

Ta for now

Chris

A little update from the C&W side of things:

post-10071-0-15984700-1300736057_thumb.jpg

Mk2 BSO(T) No. 9107 with a few mods (opened pressure vents and guards droplight, red stripe and a wooden bar across the window for the Trolley area). This'll end up on one of the Fort Bill/Oban rakes.

We're suffering at the moment from the national drought of Bachmann Mk2a SOs, hence the fact Brakes are getting worked on atm (luckily we've managed to source 6 of the last ones!) :lol:

Alex

Hi

I'll have to sort them out as some are quite rubbish ( i was certainly no photographer then) I'll see if i can get it into some sort of order and let you have the antique gen. I remember getting a few outrageous moves because of 47s going pop. Despite the appearance many of the 37/4s seemed ok. Except 412. I honestly believe they painted failed again on the side of that thing. Even when it came down south it never seemed to last a day or two between shed visits for repairs.

Those 47/7s really need some bashers scrawlings in the dirt. One of the best i saw was "Shove Piggy Shove" :lol:

Paul

Hi Chris/Dave,

Cracking looking layout, not sure why I have missed it up to now but will certainly be one to look out for once it is finished. Some nice looking stock and an interesting period to model - I shall enjoy seeing your progress from now on.

Thanks,

Mark

Howdo Mark and Paul, we chose 88 specifically as there was a lot of significant change after!

If you like its the last 'propper' year of QS, after this the second gen Bog Carts really took over and killed most loco hauld service

If we stick to 88

A it makes the layouts opperation look a lot better and

B as we are puttin so much effort into it it would ruin the layout if it was run wrong

Also you get a better veriaty of bog carts and traction! Which will all be revealed as the thread continues!

Once I've got the loco photos out the way ill do the bog carts for you all to see which include a 120 and a 104 :D

oh paul if you can remember which duff had the push piggy push on and where I will addorn the loco with

Yeah I can do you a tractor line up! Only prob is space :P ill sort you some photos out, the numbers for rolling stock are flex's dept, as I have to much on with locos he is dealing with C/W he will probs be on later so ill get him to PM you

Ta for now

Chris

Chris,

A couple of shots from March 1988, with some nice weathering for you to do :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

47578 Queen Street March 88

post-1161-0-45197200-1300790704_thumb.jpg

37412 Queen Street March 88

post-1161-0-21452200-1300790708_thumb.jpg

NB 47578 The headcode box is flush but painted black as a standard recessed box.

HTH

Archived