WR Carriage Roof Destination Boards...

Morning all,

I've done a quick search but can't find any scource for these specific destinations in 4mm, can anyone help please?

I've had a look at Precision Labels website but they only do The Red Dragon etc. I know that some time ago Model Rail printed some up (attached to the cover as I recall) but I can't rememebr which issue it was!

Thanks in advance ;)

Nidge

Guest dilbert

I have a copy and these were released around Nov 2001.

The destinations boards were as follows :

• Paddington Gloucester Cheltenham Spa
  • Cheltenham Spa Express
  • Paddington Bath Spa Bristol
  • The Bristolian
  • THe Cathedrals Express
  • Paddington Worcester Great Malvern Hereford
  • The Torbay Express
  • Paddington Torquay Paignton Dartmouth
  • Cornish Riveria Express
  • Paddington Exeter Plymouth Penzance
  • The Red Dragon
  • Paddington Cardiff Swansea
  • Cambrian Coast Express
  • Paddington Wolverhampton Aberystwyth
  • Pembroke Coast Express
  • Paddington Tenby Pambroke Dock

I don't model the BR (WR), so if these are of use to you then send me a PM - I'll be in the UK Friday 21 Jan (unfortunately for a funeral), and could post these on should you so wish... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

I'll tell you who also does a nice range of Western destination boards Nidge.

CPL Products

4 The Glade

Newbury

Berks

01635 44001

Available in 4mm and 7mm

Very nice too.

Nidge,

Might be worth tapping up Adam Warr at Electra for some bespoke ones. He did a few for my LM coaching stock not too long ago. They'll probably be on self-adhesive vinyl nowadays, which should make life easier! wink.gif

Cheers,

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

On a closely-related subject does anyone have the dimensions for those WR carriage-side destination boards which were square (or almost square) yellow panels and carried by some trains in the early 70s?

I remember that the West of England trains had boards with

PADDINGTON

PLYMOUTH

PENZANCE

for the through coaches and for those detached en route

PADDINGTON

EXETER

PLYMOUTH

and I believe there were others for Bristol, Weston, Cardiff and Swansea. Were there any more than those? I have an unclear note from an evening peak at Paddington probably in 1970 that trains of InterCity dmu stock carried PADDINGTON OXFORD and PADDINGTON NEWBURY boards but have never found any photographic evidence to support this so the note might refer simply to the destination of the tains.

• 8 months later...

On a closely-related subject does anyone have the dimensions for those WR carriage-side destination boards which were square (or almost square) yellow panels and carried by some trains in the early 70s?

<...>

I have an unclear note from an evening peak at Paddington probably in 1970 that trains of InterCity dmu stock carried PADDINGTON OXFORD and PADDINGTON NEWBURY boards but have never found any photographic evidence to support this so the note might refer simply to the destination of the tains.

Hello.

Happened to see this picture while looking at unrelated material and thought that it was of sufficient interest to go looking for an article that might reference them:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/3113189226/in/set-72157594155572977/

Hope this helps,

David.

• RMweb Premium

An interesting link thank you. My recollection is of those boards amidships on Mk 1 coaches and I only vaguely recall their brief appendage to Mk2 vehicles where they were, as shown, at one end of the coach.

I have a hazy recollection that the class 123 dmu sets might have also carried such boards during at least their brief sojourn in the Thames Valley working peak time Paddington - Oxford or Newbury services.

Carriage roof boards did survive quite late on one or two workings. Not on the WR as per OP but the Ocean Liner Express, Channel Islands Boat Train and Poole - Bournemouth - Birmingham - York ones were daily sights on the SR routes concerned and would, of course, have traversed WR metals between Reading and the LMR boundary at Fenny Compton en route to and from York. Once that service was extended to Newcastle it lost its roofboards rather than have them repainted.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting link thank you. My recollection is of those boards amidships on Mk 1 coaches and I only vaguely recall their brief appendage to Mk2 vehicles where they were, as shown, at one end of the coach.

I have a hazy recollection that the class 123 dmu sets might have also carried such boards during at least their brief sojourn in the Thames Valley working peak time Paddington - Oxford or Newbury services.

The WR side mounted boards appeared - I think- in the late 1960s and I've an idea that 'The Golden Hind' might have been one of the first trains to carry them. They gradually spread to Bristol and South Wales services plus other West of England trains but I can't recall them being used on the Class 123 units although my trips to/from work each day on those wouldn't have carried boards anyway so they might possibly have been used on other workings (although I can't see any sign of the hooks and clips on a couple of sets in 1970 and '71 photos).

The boards were made of fibreglass and were very light and easily caught by the wind if they started to lift off; from what I can remember there was alter style of clip at the bottom of the boards which was meant to stop that happening. I think they eventually went the same way as roofboards for basically the same reason because although they were much more convenient they were still a pest to change as more intensive and inter-route working of stock developed.

• 1 month later...

The boards measured 1' 10" wide x 1' 6" high with 1 1/2" radius corners and were made from 1/8" thick GRP. There were two small vertical slots with rounded ends (1" high) for attaching the board to the carriage side which were inset 1 1/2" from each side and 1" below the top edge. A horizontal slot with rounded ends measured 4 1/2" x 1" and acted as a hand hole and was central to the board and inset 1" from the top edge. Original boards did not have this hand hole (added in 1967)

Hi Steve,

A belated thanks for all the information, really useful stuff. Here's a couple of photos of the real things - firstly an 'original' one with 'Paddington - Cardiff ' Swansea' on one sides and 'Paddington - Fishguard' on the other.

brinspectionsaloon001.jpg

And here's a post-67 one, complete with the carry handles that you mention. It's worth also noting that the font has been updated and is no longer all capitals. Additionally the yellow is much richer and more orangey when compared to the earlier one - I'm fairly certain this is by design rather than differing rates of weathering.

brinspectionsaloon003.jpg

I'd be interested to find the latest they were in use - what's the latest photographic evidence people have come across?

Cheers,

Pix

• RMweb Gold

thanks for posting the pictures - the original one is interesting as I haven't seen a decent shot of one before. The latest evidence that I have seen is September 1971 in "Railway Reflections" by Ivo Peters which shows a Manchester - Penzance working carrying the yellow boards. I think the difference in the yellow colouration is due to the later ones being manufactured from material that is already coloured rather than painted - some of the documentation I saw referred to "Darvic" Yellow 225.

Ah, 'Darvic Yellow' - I've got some of that, or rather a couple of pieces of it. Darvic is (or was) a type of plastic and it was used to make the yellow Darvic labels which were fixed in the label clips on freight rolling stock that was in Circuit Working or required to specifically return to a particular place (the labels also made excellent frost scrappers for use on car windows in the days before such things were widely and cheaply available commercially.

Photographable if you wish.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

You'd not need to be all that old! They were used on maroon stock until at least the mid 60s IIRC. And yes I have seen a few win use though I remember the yellow ones used on b/g stock better.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think that there would be many maroon boards surviving, As the only two I have seen are here!

I don't think many - it'd be interested to know if any white Motorail ones are left!

vlcsnap-2011-10-25-20h56m29s178.png

Pix

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks,

I wonder if I might reopen this topic with a question about the BR(W) boards of 1960.

All of the photographic reference material I've gathered has tended to come from modern-day steam excursions. These show only one board per carriage. Yet, the supplier of printed packs for detailing named trains all supply two differently worded boards.

My specific interest is in modelling Evening Star on the Capitals United Express in the 1960/61 era. The carriage boards I have purchased say "CAPITALS UNITED EXPRESS" and "PADDINGTON -- CARDIFF" or (a later version, I think) "LONDON -- CARDIFF".

My question is whether both wordings would appear on the train and, if so, would I be correct in thinking that each coach would only carry one board, with each successive carriage carrying the alternate wording? (Also, whether these boards were fitted to Full Brake Coaches?)

I should probably buy a book on the CAPITALS UNITED EXPRESS; any recommendations, please?

Thank you for any assistance,

Rick

Archived