Heljan Container Crane

Ingleborough

Hi all!

Has the Heljan HO Container Crane ever been considered for re-release? It seems strange that it hasn't been available for about 3 years. Was there a problem with this product? One has just sold on EBay for 340 pounds and it didn't even include the track sections. There were 14 bids for it, so it would seem there's a demand. The price was close to the last RRP, but I'd rather be buying new at those sorts of figures.

Any thoughts on this?

Jon

I think it just didn't sell in large enough numbers. I bought one on first release for around £380, I can remember the price being lowered by Rails and Hattons to £299 about a year or two later, then they just vanished. I wish I had picked up some of the extra base sections and containers to be honest.

The history of this product goes back to Roco, who started the initial development I believe, and then dropped it and the project was later picked up by Heljan. It does not form part of their 2011 release program, but as all the upfront costs were in the tooling and R&D, you would think it would merit a re-relase at some point. Maybe the production costs are just too high.

I think it just didn't sell in large enough numbers.....

It's likely there was only one production run (order). That's quite common with a lot of model railway releases these days.

Despite the complexity and build costs, they would have produced enough of them to break even and make a profit. I suspect they allowed for the fact that there might not be enough demand to make another batch at that price and the costings were arranged accordingly.

Nobody makes a model on the hope that profitability comes on later batches.

If demand for the crane had been much higher, then it would have been a bonus; but organising and booking further production slots takes time.

Some retailers did discount to clear stocks (they don't like stuff sitting on their shelves for very long), but they all went pretty quickly and everywhere else seemed to be "sold out" at full price, or couldn't get them from the distributor (also "sold out").

IIRC it was an H0 model rather than 00, so would have been sold across other European markets too.

Due to the relatively short period of availability, I guess it could be deemed a success.

It's not beyond possibility that another batch could be produced in the future if there is a demand (.....I'd like a couple of Yellow ones myself) ; but how would Heljan know if there was a market for them?

p.s. I wouldn't mind having an unmotorised version (static, but with the working lights) if that meant they were much cheaper. The "play value" is of no use to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm gutted. I had the chance to pick one up three years ago for 250 from a dealer who was at Brighton modelworld. They gave me a card and I lost it. Thought, oh well, will find another one. If only id known. Another one on ebay now, 2 days to go, 450 squid, 9 bidders. Guess I'll have to stick with my old Brawa crane for now.

But on another anoying note, I had been converting my containers with the metal bars ready for it. :(

• 4 weeks later...

The market is a fickle place. I placed my Heljan C. terminal on RMweb (no less ) last December for under £300 and got no takers or ebven an enquiry... very disapponted

Then placed it on Ebay and got over £400 for it. Maybe I should have waited, but no; my decision to sell was based on no decent modern electric

locos to pull the tin boxes, and really it does not too much like the ones used in the UK. Its also HO scale too....

Funny old world

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Recently my thoughts have returned to the subject of intermodal models again (I think my current interest in Class 57s has something to do with it . . . ). I remember when this was released and thought I must get one, just because it brings so much "play value" to a layout, while yet still being a scale model. As ever I didn't buy one at the time, which I think was now a mistake!

It's surprised me too that a further production run hasn't yet happened. Looking at the demand for this product (and eBay prices) just in the UK, if this is scaled across European model rail market, I'd have thought would mean further production run would sell.

Looks like the only hope is finding somewhere with old shop stock :unsure:

I see that another Heljan Container Crane, without any of the track sections, has just sold on Ebay for 447 pounds and attracted 19 bidders! Come on Heljan - if that isn't demand for a re-release, then I don't know what would be!

Jon

Perhaps it could be redseigned to fit with British conatiner terminal design and scaled to 00 - Perhaps this is something that RealTrack could take on instead of Heljan?

• RMweb Gold

Recently my thoughts have returned to the subject of intermodal models again (I think my current interest in Class 57s has something to do with it . . . ). I remember when this was released and thought I must get one, just because it brings so much "play value" to a layout, while yet still being a scale model. As ever I didn't buy one at the time, which I think was now a mistake!

It's surprised me too that a further production run hasn't yet happened. Looking at the demand for this product (and eBay prices) just in the UK, if this is scaled across European model rail market, I'd have thought would mean further production run would sell.

Looks like the only hope is finding somewhere with old shop stock :unsure:

Might be a long shot, but I was talking to my mate who does some respray work for a model shop here in Ireland, and he said he thought he had some in stock. They aren't listed on their website, but worth sending in an email. They have been slow sellers over here www.themodelshop.ie

No connection other than being a satisfied customer.

• RMweb Premium

I saw these cranes in action recently at the Ilford & West Essex exhibition on 'Warren Lane'; they were repainted in Freightliner green and yellow. Their operation was most impressive. I'd love to have one in N gauge!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from across the pond.

We purchased on when they first came out for you club layout. We have had nothing but problems with our unit: Speciffically raising & lowering the hoist. All other actions seem to be fine. We sent it back to Walthers, The US disributor, for repair. they worked on it and sent it back. It worked for a few sessions, thern reverted to the same problem. Walthers then sent us a replacement trolley. The replacement trolley sent last spring worked a few times then lapsed back the old situation: It would not raise or lower to container.

I have disassembled the trolley per the instructions in the Trouble Shooting manual. The threads were entangled. In fact one of the inner threads had wound around the center shaft, pulling of one the wire magnet wires off the metal disk on the wheel. This I have re-attached, the magnet works, the circuit board contacts are OK, the threads are straitened out. The motor works in both directions, the worm drive turns, the gear on the wheel shaft turns, but the hoist wheels do not move in either direction. I have checked the friction clutch and the copper strip below the circuit board. They seem to be OK. I have even tried operating with a thin paper above the copper strip to prevent connection with no results. The threads are all in their respective corner pulleys. When touching a power source to the circuit board and motor terminals the wheels give a slight jerk, but do not move.

I note that Walthers no longer carries the container terminal. An ominous note. Is there any recourse to Heljan. There does not seem to be any access via their web site.

Any ideas?

Sven

Winchester Model Railroad Club, Winchester, VA, USA.

• 2 months later...

Hi, i have similar problem with the Hoist. I can lower it but cant raise it. I have disassembled the Hoist and saw that the Black Gear on the shaft have crack. I dont know how to find that Gear in my country ? Send a mail to Heljan and wait for reply.

Regards

Ferdi Vefa - Istanbul

Perhaps it could be redseigned to fit with British conatiner terminal design and scaled to 00 - Perhaps this is something that RealTrack could take on instead of Heljan?

Like to but we are over committed on our next 4 projects. Charlie. REALTRACK

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread:

Hattons have commissioned Heljan to make a bunch of Beyer-Garratts for them. Perhaps pressure Hattons way might persuade them that the market for this is strong enough for them to order an entire (UK yellow?) production run?

Not far off their original retail then? You should grab your opportunity while they are going for £340, £400 or whatever youve seen them for because last year these cranes were fetching proper silly money. One went for £1200, another £960 and I think another sold at £880. You snooze.......

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

i'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere/anyone who has any of the metal Heljan strips that went inside the containers so they could be lifted by the container crane?

Although a probably fruitless request i'm looking for half a dozen.

Phil

If you go to your local builders merchant and ask for steel (preferably the stainless type) in the sizes you need you'd be much cheaper off ;)

Stainless likely won't work, since some forms are non-magnetic. Also, the container crane doesn't work well through a layer of plastic, even with plain steel. The strips Heljan made, with two buttons that are intended to go through the upper skin of the container, both work well and maintain the alignment of the crane to the container.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

i'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere/anyone who has any of the metal Heljan strips that went inside the containers so they could be lifted by the container crane?

Although a probably fruitless request i'm looking for half a dozen.

Phil

The old Hornby wagons had a steel weight, better still the Kitmaster Mk1 coaches had a long steel weight that if cut up could provide as many as 6 pieces.

Archived