Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

• Please log in to reply
3369 replies to this topic

#3351 keefer

keefer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 19:51

good to see you back, dave.

great pics as usual, that first one is so good - only the distance between the buffers gives it away.

I take it that's an RMB next to 563 - about the last 'proper' buffet car to grace  ScR trains, soon gave way to the trolley-equipped mk1 & 2s (HSTs excepted - though even with those, the buffet either opened (southbound) or closed (northbound) at Edinburgh!)

• Like x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#3352 russ p

russ p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Locationnorth norfolk

Posted 01 September 2017 - 23:54

Been missing updates, fantastic pictures again Dave.
Is it natural lighting? You seem to get more than average sunshine for Cumbria, I had a room at moor row for a year in 97/98 and it seemed to rain every day
  • Like x 1

#3353 MRDBLUE17

MRDBLUE17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:19

Hi Dave,

Super selection of photos, all these new locos entering service are superb.

Hope you've been having a good summer.

Mark
  • Thanks x 1

#3354 SparxD428

SparxD428

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationReading, Berkshire

Posted 03 September 2017 - 20:35

The level of detail is just unbelievable Dave, just love all the new photo's. Have been following your thread for years and just loving every part of this layout.

Cheers

Stu

• Agree x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#3355 45156

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationNr Lancaster, or possibly stuck in traffic

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:40

Dave, these latest pics are just the dog's wotsits,  The realism is quite stunning.

I still hope that one of these days we can meet up and I can see just how that is achieved.

• Agree x 1

#3356 meanach

meanach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Locationnewport

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:16

This is what it was like 5 1/2 years ago when we first arrived here, with the layout still to have its protective cages removed. Since then it's been insulated, plastered, centrally heated, had new windows and a new door fitted and a new carpet (which I'm doing a pretty good job of ruining with solder, glue, etc. etc.) to make a pretty decent railway room. It was crazily expensive to heat using electric heaters and often either too cold or too hot in the early days, but now it's comfortable just about year-round, including all through the winter thanks to the central heating. Oh what a difference that made. It even copes pretty well with the relentless heat of a Cumbrian summer too.  :jester:

As the room measures 6 x 5m, I'd probably have made WW a bit larger had I started the layout in this room, but at least I have some good-sized fiddle yards instead. The only downside to the room is that I have to go outside to get to it, which in the middle of winter when it's pouring down is a bit of a pain, especially if I'm carrying locos or rolling stock, but I really should not complain I know!

attachicon.gifRailway room 0.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Well there's always room for an extension !!
  • Like x 2

#3357 Waverley West

Waverley West

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,668 posts
  • LocationCockermouth, Cumbria

Posted 13 September 2017 - 18:28

Hi folks, 

Nipped down to Waverley late this afternoon to see what was about. 

On Platform 13, a Class 122 leading a 108 was preparing to head for Fife...

122j.jpg

122i.jpg

122b.jpg

122h.jpg

122f.jpg

122c.jpg

122b BW.jpg

Newcomer 47714 arrived from Glasgow on a push-pull...

47714b.jpg

47714c.jpg

47714a.jpg

Mk 3 a.jpg

And, finally, 08421 was parked up, resting between duties...

08421a.jpg

Work is continuing on the other Bachmann 47s. More to follow soon I hope.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West, 13 September 2017 - 18:42 .

• Like x 34
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 5

#3358 russ p

russ p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Locationnorth norfolk

Posted 13 September 2017 - 19:43

Fantastic Dave, back to great form again!
  • Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3359 MRDBLUE17

MRDBLUE17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 19:47

Hi Dave you were lucky to catch the sunlight at Waverley. When I drove home from work over the top I was on the edge of a black cloud and you could see the rain covering Edinburgh.

That 122 under frame is incredible that close up shot looks real.

Always enjoy seeing Waverley.

All the best
Mark
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#3360 Matt

Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 13 September 2017 - 20:59

As always love your modelling and photos. One small thing and I definitely could be wrong but I always thought Andrew Carnegie was one of IS 47s with a blue roof, together with 550. Apologies if I'm mistaken...
M
  • Agree x 1

#3361 mark374

mark374

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWorkington

Posted 13 September 2017 - 21:24

Come on Dave, stop posting photos of the real thing there should be a thread somewhere for real photos,  think theres only two photos of models in your post,  :jester:

Mark

• Agree x 2
  • Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#3362 Waverley West

Waverley West

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 22:13

As always love your modelling and photos. One small thing and I definitely could be wrong but I always thought Andrew Carnegie was one of IS 47s with a blue roof, together with 550. Apologies if I'm mistaken...
M

Cheers Matt,

You're spot on about Andrew Carnegie, IS-based with a blue roof and that's how I've modelled it, but with the roof weathered to a grubby dark grey...

47517 6a.jpg

Dave

• Like x 15

#3363 Signaller69

Signaller69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales

Posted 13 September 2017 - 22:39

Truly inspiring photos yet again Dave, keep 'em coming!
  • Thanks x 1

#3364 7APT7

7APT7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 23:51

Hi Dave

Great Photos, love the low light on the DMU's, as always you do take some great photos.

Hope You are keeping ok

Jamie

• Friendly/Supportive x 1

#3365 Waverley West

Waverley West

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:24

Thanks for the kind feedback, guys. Much appreciated as always.

Here's a quick close-up shot of 47714 as it enters Waverley.

The driver and his shirt/tie combination are based on a photo of a friend, Graeme Moyes who used to drive the shove-duffs, taken at Queen St in the 80s.

Bachmann's rather chunky plastic representation of the TDM plates and wire has been replaced with A1 plates and wire separated out from layout wire, which makes a big difference to the front of the loco I think. Not too much other work needed on Bachmann 47s apart from weathering and sound-fitting as far as I'm concerned though.

Graeme.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like x 23

#3366 Waverley West

Waverley West

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:27

Been missing updates, fantastic pictures again Dave.
Is it natural lighting? You seem to get more than average sunshine for Cumbria, I had a room at moor row for a year in 97/98 and it seemed to rain every day

The sun always shines on the righteous, russ. Or, more likely, is it the devil looks after his own? 

A year in Moor Row would be enough for anyone I should think, no matter what the weather! 

• Like x 3

#3367 Matt

Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 14 September 2017 - 17:32

Sorry - I can see that now. Looked grey in one of earlier shots...my mistake.
M

#3368 meanach

meanach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Locationnewport

Posted 14 September 2017 - 23:11

Thanks for the kind feedback, guys. Much appreciated as always.

Here's a quick close-up shot of 47714 as it enters Waverley.

The driver and his shirt/tie combination are based on a photo of a friend, Graeme Moyes who used to drive the shove-duffs, taken at Queen St in the 80s.

Bachmann's rather chunky plastic representation of the TDM plates and wire has been replaced with A1 plates and wire separated out from layout wire, which makes a big difference to the front of the loco I think. Not too much other work needed on Bachmann 47s apart from weathering and sound-fitting as far as I'm concerned though.

attachicon.gifGraeme.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Hi . I know on the duffs with water tanks there is copious amounts of room for a speaker but what do you do with the ones with the gap! (I.e. Most of them !)

#3369 Waverley West

Waverley West

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 19:43

Hi . I know on the duffs with water tanks there is copious amounts of room for a speaker but what do you do with the ones with the gap! (I.e. Most of them !)

Hi meanach

I just use the speaker compartment provided in the Bachmann chassis block below the fans. There's enough room there for a decent 20 x 40mm speaker, which is enough for my needs. A 4-ohm speaker with a v4 chip fitted there gives a decent sound output.

Cheers

Dave

• Informative/Useful x 2
  • Like x 1

#3370 7APT7

7APT7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 20:36

Hi Dave

Another great photo, I love the shadows (same a Kevin on the other Thread :no: )

but the shadows you have on the photo looks more like trees type shadows and not something more solid, always great to look at, you capture all spot on!

Jamie