Preston Docks Bagnalls: Impetus kit and Prototype

• RMweb Gold

If Adam doesn't mind,

heres a link to my gallery page with close ups of Florence No:2's Giesl Ejector which in 2009 i was very kindly let onto the footplate to photograph it whilst waiting to drive my bus back in service!

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_026.htm

I will get round to adding some more photos/better of it that i took at the recent Autumn/Winter Gala

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. Dad has taken advantage of the recent good weather to apply a coat of LMS Lake to the body. Sorry about the poor quality snap, but progress has been made. I hand-painted the wheels, motion and cylinders some time ago, but no photos of that. I'm still pondering whether or not to add lining (red or yellow perhaps?).

post-256-0-50240100-1333454015.gif

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

And now, it is, more or less, complete. There are more pictures on my blog, but it seems fitting to include some more here.

post-256-0-65702000-1334611106.gif

post-256-0-86354600-1334611131.jpg

A couple of pictures taken in the garden this morning; I hope someone out there finds them of interest.

Adam

The full size prototype currently carrying that livery and the Giesel ejector (Florence No.2) will be out and about again this coming Sunday at the Foxfield Railway, Blythe Bridge, with yours truly in charge.

Oh yes!, lovely bit of work Adam, looks great in that livery with the internal user wagons.

Thanks Arthur (and everyone else who's clicked the 'like' thing in the corner, very kind of you all). There are quite a few internal users in my collection, but not many have found their way in front of the camera. They're fun to build,largely because I can indulge myself with some of those interesting pre-grouping and PO wagons which don't really go with the mainline in the period I work in (the 1960s).

Adam

• 1 year later...

Adam,I realise its been a while but do you have a shot of the spark arrestor as it comes in the kit for the circle chimney please? its not the exact same style as the Liverpool ones im looking to model, but its close and would be useful to see how they did it.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

Only just spotted your post but it's a bit crude to be honest - an etched circle with a mesh centre on little fold up legs. I don't have it to hand unfortunately but this is sort of what is shown here, but as I say, quite a crude representation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/6454356983/in/set-72157628278328931

Adam

• 2 years later...

Hi Adam, we must be following each around!  Having completed the Fowler after you I'm now starting on my Bagnall 16".  I've decided - quite independently - to also use Chris's LoadHauler+ gearbox but in 108:1 as I like a slow crawl for shunting.  Your notes about the smokebox being short is useful and will be born in mind when I get that far and I'll also look into the chimney (not literally of course!) and see if I can create an alternative rather than use the Giesel.  I'll probably also go for the later cab style.  As with the Fowler etc. mine is P4 and I have been a bit concerned about clearances behind the crossheads.  I might use both layers but increase the diameter of the hole in the front layer so that the fixing nut will recess into it.  Alternatively I might turn threaded 'top hat' bushes to screw into the rods and obviate the need for nuts.

Shall I start another thread about it?

It might turn out to be a bit big for 'Enigma' so I might have to start another layout................

You might like the slow crawl, but 54:1 does that perfectly respectably! 108:1 always seems a bit too slow for steamers, not so much as regards top speed but mainly acceleration. I found that there was a surprisingly large amount of clearance behind the crossheads though I removed one layer on the front crankpin end of the rods. just to make sure.

By all means continue this thread or start your own. I'll be interested to see how you approach yours.

Adam

You might like the slow crawl, but 54:1 does that perfectly respectably! 108:1 always seems a bit too slow for steamers, not so much as regards top speed but mainly acceleration. I found that there was a surprisingly large amount of clearance behind the crossheads though I removed one layer on the front crankpin end of the rods. just to make sure.

By all means continue this thread or start your own. I'll be interested to see how you approach yours.

Adam

Thanks Adam but I'm going to start another thread and will cross reference to this one.

Here it is -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99623-and-the-next-project-please-impetus-big-bagnall/

Archived