Antics models (Coventry)

CovDriver

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't find a thread on the forum for this outstanding model shop that I frequent regularly the customer service has got to be top notch judging by my recent request to Dave Wheatley the shop manager at the Coventry store.

Just before Christmas I had a major shunting incident with a Hornby class 73 and the chassis was a write off so I asked Dave what the chances are of getting a new one would be and when I went back in just after Christmas there was a new chassis plus a few other bits waiting for me !!

All I can say really is fantastic shop friendly and helpful advice what more could you want ?

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that I'm glad Daves back there as he seems a 'do-er' for customers.My only gripe with Antics is the stock levels don't match whats actually on the shop floor and they only seem to order one of anything.On a couple of occasions an item is shown as in stock only to find its been put by for a customer in the shop.If the prices are competitive I'd use them as theres nowhere else in Cov.

• RMweb Gold

Really Trev

Cant think of any at the moment apart from modellers world which used to be up Sewell Highway in Wyken but that closed when Barry passed away many years ago now !!

Just hope Antics stays as its really useful when I need the odd bits an pieces and Dave always tries to sell me a loco or two but he hasn't got any decent EE stuff as I keep saying !!

Colin

There used to be a model shop down Far Gosford Street but this disappeared well before the dual carriage way that leads towards Walsgrave and Gosford Green etc. I think it may have been called M & L (Models and Leisure?) and seem to have the notion that they produced LNWR kits and Ron Cadman was also involved. My dad- who lived in Coventry from birth until 1971 has told me of a shop that was known as 'Wizards and Tizards'- don't think it was the proper name though. I haven't been down Far Gosford Street for about 20 years apart from on the road behind and it has managed to appear even more rundown that it was in the late 1970s/1980s- it is virtually derelict.

Really Trev

Cant think of any at the moment apart from modellers world which used to be up Sewell Highway in Wyken but that closed when Barry passed away many years ago now !!

Just hope Antics stays as its really useful when I need the odd bits an pieces and Dave always tries to sell me a loco or two but he hasn't got any decent EE stuff as I keep saying !!

Colin

I have noticed that they have a tendancy for GM style products in their shiny showcases however their wagon diplay isn't half bad.

We need a shop that sells more stuff like Cambrian kits, wheels, bearings and that kinda stuff - not just off the shelf bits and bobs. (However I am aware that there wouldn't be such ahigh demand for detailing bits but they would do a roaring trade from me!!)

I remember sitting on the counter at Modellers World when I was a nipper when my Dad took in an LNWR Cauliflower. (must have been about 1980 ish) We have recently found out said Cauliflower and its still a runner!

The model shop I remember from the 1960's and 1970's was in either Ford St or Lower Ford St (lower Ford St I think), between Pool Meadow and Far Gosford St. Can't remember the name of it but used to really enjoy visiting - there were always lots of bits and bobs to look at.

Graham

• RMweb Gold

The model shop I remember from the 1960's and 1970's was in either Ford St or Lower Ford St (lower Ford St I think), between Pool Meadow and Far Gosford St. Can't remember the name of it but used to really enjoy visiting - there were always lots of bits and bobs to look at.

Graham

Yes but I can't remember either but I do know that Richard [Dick] Huwens worked there before he moved to the train shop in Warwick.His layout 'Rowington' was in a recent BRM.A brilliant modeller.

• 8 months later...

Although I have never been in person to any of their shops I have just used the website to order from them. Bought a Bachmann peak and some Parside Dundas coupling plates, ordered them 7AM on Wednesday and they arrived yesterday morning - all at no postage and the peak was the same price as Hattons. If I am ever in the area where there shops are I will have to pay a visit.

Yes but I can't remember either but I do know that Richard [Dick] Huwens worked there before he moved to the train shop in Warwick.His layout 'Rowington' was in a recent BRM.A brilliant modeller.

That name brings back memories but I can't remeber the name of the shop (Gosford Models??)!

I bought my first loco kit from Dick - a Keyser LBSC K class, which is upstairs waiting patiently for a new chassis.

Didn't Dick also work at Warwick Model Shop - used to enjoy browsing their selection of kits on a Sunday. I think one of the owners was called Darrell, who later ran Craftsman Models from a lock-up behind the shop.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed that they have a tendancy for GM style products in their shiny showcases however their wagon diplay isn't half bad.

We need a shop that sells more stuff like Cambrian kits, wheels, bearings and that kinda stuff - not just off the shelf bits and bobs. (However I am aware that there wouldn't be such ahigh demand for detailing bits but they would do a roaring trade from me!!)

While there may not be enough demand for Antics to stock Cambrian kits and parts, it is always worth asking, I've known Dave order some fairly odd things for customers, including myself, over the years.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A first class service received today in a busy shop on a Saturday afternoon too.Price for the Hornby Castle very competitive and cheaper than Hattons and got to see it running before purchase. :sungum:

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a heads up on this shop moving into the main shopping centre in Coventry.Its now in the Shelton Square/City Arcade area for those who know the area.Its a smaller shop than before but might benefit from a larger footfall.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I went into Antics today to find out disappointedly that Dave Wheatley and his staff have been made redundant. :O

A shocker as the shop is staying open with a new staff on half the money.

Needless to say I've cancelled a few orders of mine in protest of this shabby decision by the management/owners.Apparently the shop is'nt making enough money although I'm told this is'nt true .

Hard times on the high street.

although I'm told this is'nt true

Fact from the accountants or simply potentially malicious gossip?

It is a hard fact of life that times are difficult for most businesses and if they are not making profit for the owners then they may as well be closed down. Staff costs is just another one of those variable costs that need to be rationalised. Though unpleasant for those concerned, it is simple reality.

Technically you can only be made redundant if the job is not replaced. So making someone redundant and then recruiting the same position at a lower salary is a perfect case for an industrial relations tribunal.

We should be careful in open discussion of such specific situations when all the facts are not known, are hearsay and gossip especially if one sided (just from the employee perspective). Such discussions can affect the employee's position in such a tribunal.

Guest 838rapid

I have just spoke to Former Work mates at Coventry Shop....

The  above is sadly true.

I was Got rid off from Sheffield Branch nearly a year ago... Due to an apparent drop in sales.....

Then replaced 21 days later by a student who knew about Balsa wood.... And nothing else...

Sad to hear the sad news,But also in the same breath not suprised....

Guest 838rapid

semel momorderunt bis timidos agitabis

Adhibe ad periculum tuum

Am so glad I studied at school

I'd give it six months to a year then...

If it's true then I can't say I'll be making alot of effort to support the shop, although I've only been in once since it moved- such is the general state and lack of footfall in High Street retail in this age when there is no other reason or incentive to visit a city centre. I'm more likely to visit Hobbycraft for emergency modelling sundies, as despite only being a 5-10 minute walk away, has free parking and other shops to make the visit worthwhile.

"Should" Hobbycraft go under or cease stocking modelling items, I'd rather say I made an effort to support them, instead of a larger chain of Model shops or independant small retailers that had unreasonable expectations or failed to adapt to their trading conditions. But since my modelling interests aren't exactly mainstream, they wouldn't see me as a valued customer anyway...

Archived