County Donegal Railcar 7/8

Burkitt

In a slight diversion from my layout project, I'm having a go at building one of the County Donegal narrow gauge railcars. Flicking through a very old copy of Railway Modeller, I came across some drawings of early CDRJC railcars, and thought one would make a nice project. Pictures of railcars 7 and 8 can be found at http://www.donegalrailway.com/CDRRailcars.htm .

P2100258.JPG

Power is provided by a cut down Bachmann On30 tram chassis serving as the rear bogie. Gauge will be 16.5mm, so a bit narrower than is truly accurate, but more universally operable.

P2100252.JPG

The floor is 2mm styrene, with 1mm transparent plastic sides. Re-enforcement is provided by the seat supports.

Paul

• Like 2

Thanks Pete. I picked up the issue with these drawings at a preserved railway a few years ago as it is from the month of my birth.

P2140266.JPG

Today I got the interior panelling, doors and seats added. Interior design is based on the later Railcar 18, now preserved at the Fintown Railway, as I don't know of any internal photos of 7 or 8. The number of seats is correct according to the Railway Modeller article.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

That's rather nice. I remember that series of David Lloyd articles on the Irish Narrow gauge in the mid-late 1980s modeller. That was 25 years ago...... :blink:

It was David Lloyd's Augher Valley in the April 1964 RM that was my youthful all-time fave layout. His early demise was a great loss to modelling - especially to the study of Irish narrow gauge.

• Like 1

As Ian says, I'm using the chassis from a Bachmann On30 tram, cut down in length as much as possible. The wheelbase and wheel diameter are both a millimetre or so too large, but its smoothness and slow running abilities are far better than much more expensive motor bogies like the Black Beetle.

P2190290.JPG

I made the radiator today, lots of strips of 0.3mm styrene.

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Ian. Having tried modelling in 7mm I now much prefer it to working in 4mm, you really can fit a lot more detail in.

P2240157.JPG

The radiator has now been glued in place and ventilation louvres on the bonnet sides added. After looking at some photos of the railcars I realised that my interpretation of the drawings, that the bonnet had a pointed top, was incorrect, and it should actually be rounded. This was amended using a bit of milliput, spread over the plastic then sanded to shape when dry.

After a frustrating search for some bearing cups I knew I had around somewhere, I eventually found them pretty much in the first place I had looked, so was able to make a start on the front pony truck. It still needs detailing and the connection to the main underframe.

Paul

• Like 1

P2270181.JPG

Pony truck attachment thing now done.

P2270185.JPG

It swings out to the sides to go around corners. I've shortened the bonnet by a couple of millimetres to allow the narrower than truly accurate truck to navigate tighter than scale curves. A spring needs to be added between the pivot and the truck to keep it centred.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

This is looking very good, you've got the curved bodywook very well; something that always put me off building railcars!

Are you coming to the Cornwall Narrow Gauge Expo later this month? We could give it a run on Bridport if you like.

Cheers,

Dave.T

• RMweb Gold

I'm relieved that the motor still runs smoothly after cutting a lot of metal off either end of it with a mini-drill slitting disc. Background sounds provided courtesy of BBC Radio 4.

Acid test passed! Runs smoothly enough already - I can't imagine the originals were very sophisticated in their gait!

Thanks Dave. I'd love to try the railcar on Bridport town, but unfortunately I think Truro is a bit too far afield for me to visit for a show.

Ian, I suspect you are correct about the running of the originals, and I expect the ride would have been pretty rough too.

P3050190.JPG

Today I've been making some details representing the driver's controls, as this area will be a little harder to get to once the support for the roof is on.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Interior details in place.

Seen through the windows. They aren't perfect but should look OK with the roof on.

Paul

Hi Paul,

What you've done there is very effective. I've agonised over interiors before, and then found that I cant see that much when the vehicle whizzes past on a layout.

You dont need to model the interior to the finest detail, as long as you can se that the vehicle isnt an empty cavity, then the effect is usually a success.

Is the railcar destined for an operational layout? As I've said, you're more than welcome to run it on Bridport. Once I've got a few more shows confirmed I'll let you know where its goiung to be.

All the best,

Dave,T

PS Sorry if the spelling and grammar is a bit out, its Sunday night and I've just finished my second G&T. ;)

You're right about interior detailing Dave, I love spending ages on really intricate detail sometimes, but you really can see very little of it with the roof on, especially once things start moving.

The railcar could be destined for Claverton Engineering, but really it's a bit too large for an industrial micro layout, and the massive overhangs would look a bit ridiculous on the very tight curves which use geometry meant for 14mm gauge. I started building the railcar without really thinking about where to run it, I liked the look of them ever since reading the RM article with the drawings years ago and have wanted to have a go at one for ages. I haven't really got space for a proper long NG railway though, I suppose it will have to wait for a future layout before it can stretch its legs.

I'll look forward to giving it a run on Bridport though, I must admit to that and its preprocessor being among my favourite narrow gauge layouts so that would be a real treat.

P3090209.JPG

Got to finish it first though. The roof is now mostly done, it's made from several layers of 2mm styrene, covered in Milliput and sanded to the correct shape.

P3090214.JPG

I puzzled for a while over how best to secure the roof to the car body. I made a first attempt at the roof which had a lower layer which simply fitted snugly between the car walls to hold it in place, but I could not get it to lie completely flat and there was an unacceptable gap between the parts. Something was needed to hold it down tightly, but screws were ruled out because I didn't want them visible on the roof top.

When I first bought a load of Greenwich couplings for Claverton Engineering, I got a packet of small neodymium magnets to fit beneath the track at locations where uncoupling was needed. After some experimentation I decided this was too inflexible and got a massive neodymium magnet which could be hand held beneath any position on the railway and uncouple the trains above.

The small magnets have now found a use keeping the roof on in a secure but unobtrusive manner. One is glued inside each of the crosspieces on the body, and a corresponding one in a hole in the underside of the roof. Very thin styrene over the magnets prevents them popping out and makes it a bit easier to get the roof off. Nonetheless it is still held on very firmly.

P3090204.JPG

A bit of work is still needed to eliminate all gaps between the roof and body, but it's nearly there now. I have also made a start on adding the horizontal bodyside panel things beneath the windows, they are from microstrip and need a bit of sanding as they protrude a little too much.

Paul

Paul

• Like 1

P3160128.JPG

The windows and roof hole are now masked off ready for painting. I have used masking fluid rather than tape for the windows as I will be brush painting it and tape tends to get paint leaking under it when I apply it with a brush. The fluid is meant for watercolour so hopefully it won't dissolve or anything with the enamel paint.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

now, my interests lie firmly in BR 70s/80s, but i love this project.

such an unusual prototype built from scratch with such an eye to detail and some cunning solutions to problems along the way.

i have no idea about the prototype, but i can just imagine this rattling and shoogling along the line, the latest of these 'new-fangeled' modern contraptions!

lovely stuff :D

• RMweb Gold

i have no idea about the prototype, but i can just imagine this rattling and shoogling along the line, the latest of these 'new-fangeled' modern contraptions!

A brief description I read in a magazine not long after the Donegal suspended operations suggested exactly that. On the trip described there was a fitter on board, who would periodically lift the transmission lid and "listen with a long face". Passengers about to embark were seen to wipe the outside of their window before joining. Hey, this was the Atlantic side of the Emerald Isle, where rain is not unknown, so I believe! As far as grass-roots rural narrow-gauge is concerned, I think the CDR had it all. Just magic - and Paul's efforts are reaping a rich reward, too.