N Gauge

BC 374-220Z

RTC Pullman Coach ‘Wren’

ta daz

• RMweb Gold

there going to be BR SR green

daz

Daz,

I should have made myself clearer, sorry - but there is currently a BIG debate over the shade of BR(S) Green that Bachmann are using on their Bulleid and Mk 1 stock. The current shade is said by some (including me) to be too dark, and the shade they used to use is much closer. My question is, seeing as this is a limited edition, could Modelzone specify a different (correct) shade?

The condemned vans look good - from the pictures on the signal box website they looked to be in 1970s condition, though I could be wrong.

On a related note, has anyone been into a Modelzone recently to see what limited models they actually do have in? Their website has become unhelpful since the change from the old one, and it now lists many things simply as "out of stock" with no reference to them having been in stock if they have. I'm wondering whether the NCB 16 ton mineral wagons and Pannier tank have been and gone or are still to come.

Ah but what shade of green will the Bulleid stock be in?

Hmmm. That Set No;'s a bit iffy too,, S768 ?? . For one thing, if it's prefixed with an 'S', then it's in the early nationalisation period, and should be in S.R. Malachite, The only record I have of Bulleid 3-Set 768, was that the coaches first appeared in C&C, and that sets 767-9, were made up from ex-loose coaches.

Regards.

Edited once to correct incorrect information.:blush_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm. That Set No;'s a bit iffy too,, S768 ?? . For one thing, if it's prefixed with an 'S', then it's in the early nationalisation period, and should be in S.R. Malachite, The only record I have of Bulleid 3-Set 768, was that the coaches first appeared in C&C, and that sets 767-9, were made up from ex-loose coaches.

My interpretation of Mike King's text (P155) suggests that these vehicles appeared new in crimson lake and cream, being formed into sets by (sic) June 1950. They will presumably not have seen any shade of green until 1956 at the earliest.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With reference to the "Warship" 32-050Z, which is listed as D808 Centaur in green FYE, I'm sure someone in this august establishment will be able to confirm what I have been unable to through research namely that the livery is correct for this loco.

I know from personal observation that D810 Cockade carried green FYE (and was never maroon AFAIK, going straight into blue) and some sources quote this as the only Warship to have been so adorned. Other sources suggest a second one carried the livery but without identifying which. Pictures seem to be conspicuous by their absence.

Any thoughts? Or better still any pictures of a green FYE "Centaur"?

With reference to the "Warship" 32-050Z, which is listed as D808 Centaur in green FYE, I'm sure someone in this august establishment will be able to confirm what I have been unable to through research namely that the livery is correct for this loco.

I know from personal observation that D810 Cockade carried green FYE (and was never maroon AFAIK, going straight into blue) and some sources quote this as the only Warship to have been so adorned. Other sources suggest a second one carried the livery but without identifying which. Pictures seem to be conspicuous by their absence.

Any thoughts? Or better still any pictures of a green FYE "Centaur"?

It was indeed D808 Gwiwer. It carried GFYE for a short period, December '67 until it was outshopped from Swindon in BFYE in July '68.

HTH

Nidge ;)

On a related note, has anyone been into a Modelzone recently to see what limited models they actually do have in? Their website has become unhelpful since the change from the old one, and it now lists many things simply as "out of stock" with no reference to them having been in stock if they have. I'm wondering whether the NCB 16 ton mineral wagons and Pannier tank have been and gone or are still to come.

The NCB wagons turned up on Tyneside just the other week and are very dark looking.

The limited edition Hornby Class 09 in Mainline livery which they did a while back doesn't seem to have sold well (bit to garish if you ask me) and they are currently flogging them off for £39.99. I've already given one a repaint into proper blue and am thinking about another at that price.

• RMweb Premium
It was indeed D808 Gwiwer.

One Centaur now ordered. It might have only carried the livery for a few months but it's a new ( as opposed to elderly Mainline or Lima) 42 in green. And will go nicely with Kernow's "six hundreds" in due course of which three are on order and the others under consideration.

One Centaur now ordered. It might have only carried the livery for a few months but it's a new ( as opposed to elderly Mainline or Lima) 42 in green. And will go nicely with Kernow's "six hundreds" in due course of which three are on order and the others under consideration.

It may not matter to you personally Gwiwer, but the D600s were all withdrawn before D808 received the full yellow ends treatment.... still, it's your layout of course and would make a nice model anyway!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Premium

It's a close call. The 600's were withdrawn on 30/12/67 and by your own post 808 appeared in green FYE in December '67 ...........

As you say it's my layout and there is a certain "elasticity of time" on occasions. One thing I have never attempted is to slavishly copy history on a given date. Respect to those who do but I prefer to offer a representation of the area in a broad time-frame which I categorise as 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's.

I bought the NCB coal hoppers from Trafford Centre modelzone just before heading off to Waterstones for a day's grind signing books. They are pretty good, though both sides on each wagon are identical even down to the hand lettering. Though no-one sees both sides at the same time. I also bought the NSE class 03179 (still waiting for Manchester Deansgate shop to phone about the one I pre-ordered from them - why do they bother keeping a book of pre-orders if they never call anyone?) and a BR blue/grey TPO which they had a few left in stock along with one of the others (looked like 1990s all red, but didn't pay close attention).

I'm looking forward to the three pack of condemned vans.

still waiting for Manchester Deansgate shop to phone about the one I pre-ordered from them - why do they bother keeping a book of pre-orders if they never call anyone?

Same problem with another branch or is all of them. Suppose at least if you find out something has been released and turn up to find they have sold their allocation you should be able to insist that they get one for you from another branch.

Same problem with another branch or is all of them. Suppose at least if you find out something has been released and turn up to find they have sold their allocation you should be able to insist that they get one for you from another branch.

The book had more than twenty names in before mine, and I put my name down several months before it was released. Yet the Trafford Centre branch clearly had a lot of unsold stock, and I would guess that this is likely to be repeated at other branches. It is still available online, so either they lost the book or they aren't in a hurry to sell their stock.

I bought the NCB coal hoppers from Trafford Centre modelzone just before heading off to Waterstones for a day's grind signing books. They are pretty good, though both sides on each wagon are identical even down to the hand lettering. Though no-one sees both sides at the same time.

Yes, I picked a set of these up from Signal Box at Canterbury exhibition yesterday, and they are nicely done- I noticed the freehand lettering being identical on both sides, though as you say, no-one's likely to be looking at both sides at once.

Caledonian mentioned that the colour looked very dark. I can't bring to mind where from memory, but I know I've seen picture references showing NCB 16T minerals in black.

Archived