Early diesels

Ray H

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A further 1965 (hopefully) all-green example of class 26, D5306 pictured on a Waverley freight 18.8.65 in Mr O'Hara's latest. Caption errors however are not unknown in this otherwise excellent volume.

What be the ISBN, MC?

I think this book's on my wish list, but would like to double check.....

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know which loco was the very last to run in plain green, highly likely to be 8033 but just as possible to have been a 33.

I photographed a plain green D3583 on Crewe shed on 21/12/69, probably a strong contender?

Whilst happily conceding Mike's claim for the last all-green loco as D3583 (as Russ says, it more than likely saw in 1970 like that), I think we have a new contender for the last main liner (courtesy of the useful Mr John Grey Turner as heads-upsed by 26power). Weighing up the likely dates 'in works' for D8033 as in earlier posts, I'd wager this one lasted longer; sadly it's unidentified other than being a 'proper Scottish 'uin':(

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst happily conceding Mike's claim for the last all-green loco as D3583 (as Russ says, it more than likely saw in 1970 like that), I think we have a new contender for the last main liner (courtesy of the useful Mr John Grey Turner as heads-upsed by 26power). Weighing up the likely dates 'in works' for D8033 as in earlier posts, I'd wager this one lasted longer; sadly it's unidentified other than being a 'proper Scottish 'uin':(

Photographed on the first day the Waverley Route was inactive. Wonder how much spare power sat at 64B on this particular Monday that would otherwise have been out and about - D5302 is one such contender. Amazing to think the GNYP Class 20 could have worked on the Waverley in that condition (in theory) until the final curtain. As we know (an entire other group refers!) Class 20 were rare at the Lothian end though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

D6333, all green in July 66, courtesy of Mr Delamar in a thread elsewhere. Is anybody else looking for these :yes:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but now that Dapol is going to introduce non headcode box Class 22s I have decided to backdate my proposed layout even further to the very early 60's. I have the Bachmann model of D820 with a small yellow panel and in my copy of The Book of the Warships she is shown as acquiring her panel in January 1962. I am now looking at replacing the two Class 22s I already have with the non headcode box version, but I don't have a similar book, or know of one, on the Class 22s. Does anyone know of a suitable book on the Class 22s, or would be kind enough to tell me which style, Small Yellow or Green ends, the models that Dapol are introducing had in 1962?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some Class 33s were still without yellow panels in 1968, such as D6583.

As for 33s at least 6507/9/44/83/5 had no yellow ends of any kind into1968 and there were a few dozen running in 1965/66.

Just come across these comments which are some help in a quest which I have to find any Cromptons allocated to Hither Green in 1967 that were GNYP. Of the examples quoted by Russell 6507/6509/6544 were Eastleigh engines for all of 1967 but D6583/D6585 were re-allocated to HG in October 1967. Does anyone have any info of any other HG allocated locos earlier in 1967 that had no yellow panel?

Although slightly OT may I refer to another interesting point raised by Robert's photo of D6583:

http://www.flickr.co...57603653307095/

This concerns the later exhaust arrangement which I had previously assumed from looking at photos was a change that didn't get under way until after 1967 and seemed to take place at works visits at which the loco was also painted into blue. I hadn't previously been able to identify any green locos that had received this modification. D6583 also seems to show that the horn housing is still covered, the opening up of which I had also believed happened simultaneously with the exhaust modification.

Aside from the Lima version all Class 33 models in N and 4mm versions have had the later exhaust arrangement. As they had this for the majority of their existence it has probably been seen as the more economic option by manufacturers. With the upcoming Dapol Class 33 I was more or less resigned to having to attack the roof to reproduce the earlier silencer box but it may be that I will be relieved of that particular chore for at least one loco!

David

Forgot to mention, page 13 'Diesels in Wessex' has a photo taken 29/04/1967 at Eastleigh with D6518 GFYE, D6501 GNYP and another unidentified loco which is GSYP. If only I could find a similar shot at Hoo Junction!

• 2 years later...

Co-Bo question.

Did any of these engines still have the grey grills on transfer to Barrow?

I take it for granted that, on transfer, they lacked the yellow panel but did they retain the grey grills?

If anyone can point me to a photo reference I'd be most greatfull.

Regards

A quick look through my collection of photos shows the following kept grey grills until the end. D5705-Carnforth 1968, D5707-Carlisle 1967, & on receipt of FYE , 5708 had them on receipt of FYE at the end of its life, D5711-Carlisle 1967, 5712 at Reddish 1968 & D5715-Crewe 1967. I suspect the rest did, although in a lot of photos the grill colour cannot be made out on account of the filthy state they got in. (Especially black & white shots). Here are a few links to photos showing the locos listed above.

https://flic.kr/p/aiX6vED5705 in Derby Research times.

https://flic.kr/p/iv5cE1D5707 at Dallam with FYE.

https://flic.kr/p/9Wk2HVD5712 at Reddish 1968.

The above list is by no means exhaustive as there are lots of photos out there, but are the ones I could provide links to quickly.

Paul j.

D6333, all green in July 66, courtesy of Mr Delamar in a thread elsewhere. Is anybody else looking for these :yes:

There's a glimpse of another one in all green, in Sept 66, on p86 of Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered. It's not D6333 as it has head code boxes.

Cheers

Mike

Archived