Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

Announced on a full page advert in the Warley show catalogue, Heljan are producing an 00 class 23 Baby Deltic for 2010. The advert states that they will initially be available with the later 4-character headcodes, in both BR two-tone-green and blue liveries. No further information is given on specification, due date or expected price.

Paul

• Like 6

That's very good new, as I like these ( unloved ? ) loco's.

It's also not such good news, as my layout, set in Falmouth, Cornwall, doesn't really make it viable to run one .....................

Still, should be a great new addition for us modellers.

At least there were 10 and not just the 1. ;)

Regards, Michel

The original drive line for the class 17 finds a new home! Or perhaps one installs a decoder with a random breakdown generator on it?.

But more seriously a very welcome announcement. I am a little surprised that this has been chosen ahead of the more numerous class 22, in the 'mop-up' of the remaining not available RTR possibilities

But more seriously a very welcome announcement. I am a little surprised that this has been chosen ahead of the more numerous class 22, in the 'mop-up' of the remaining not available RTR possibilities

Class 22 isn't available, Dapol are doing it in 4mm. 21/29/16 and [edit: 28] are the other possibles really.

We have 03,04,08,09,14,15,17,20,22,24,25,26,27,31,33,35,37,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,50,55,56,57,58,60,66,67 now in 4mm and quite new (apart from a couple).

It was either this or an electric really and until the 86 is done I can imagine they won't want to commit to another of those.

Hasn't 'Baby Deltic' already scratchbuilt the entire class?

The Co-Bo is missing from the list of possibilities. The weirdness factor of the Class 28 would probably ensure sales worthy of a future run. All in due course...

On the other hand it reputedly killed off Hornby Dublo, so the manufacturers probably consider it jinxed.

Paul

I'm sure someone will model the whole class!

I'm only surprised it wasn't a Class 21/29... icon_razz.gif

Heljan certainly gets my vote on the Baby Deltic. icon_thumbsup2.gif

I'm with you, been hoping for the 21/29 even since the explosion of unsuccessful/oneoff prototypes.

And dare I mention the headcode version 24?

• RMweb Gold

But what has the Baby Deltic got to say about all this?

Despite all the evidence about most other early diesels being found on the S&D in large numbers and on a frequent basis, even Class 15s, I just can't find any reference to Baby Deltics working over Masbury.... ;) :lol: :P

• RMweb Gold

Despite all the evidence about most other early diesels being found on the S&D in large numbers and on a frequent basis, even Class 15s, I just can't find any reference to Baby Deltics working over Masbury.... wink.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

I'm sure you can justify one model that wouldn't fit your prototype location. Afterall, the rest of your collection is spot on historically speaking wink.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

It just gets better & better :icon_thumbsup2:

Of course I'm sure these engines were regularly "seen" at Winchester regularly on Ripple Lane - Fawley oil & Kings Cross - Bevois Park cement trains coupled in tandem with a Class 15 !!!!!

Oh that'll mean I can justify both on my layout then

:icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

Despite all the evidence about most other early diesels being found on the S&D in large numbers and on a frequent basis, even Class 15s, I just can't find any reference to Baby Deltics working over Masbury.... ;) :lol: :P

I think a collection of all 10 would be highly desireable.;)

Surely that should be all 11 (or to be pedantic 10-1/2....) as they've now got a 23 engine in a 37?

Indeed.:D Infact, I should really add another 10 when the unrefurbished variant is released. Gotta have D5909 in BR blue, and do D5908 in GFYE with double arrow symbol for starters.;)

I'm only surprised it wasn't a Class 21/29... :icon_razz:

:icon_mutter: :icon_mutter: :icon_mutter:

[student mode]if it had have been, I'd have bought loads[/student mode]

;)

How can I justify one coming to North Lincolnshire except as the RTC machine?

Model their early years - they were apparently seen on occasion at Mablethorpe and/or Grimsby

[student mode]if it had have been, I'd have bought loads[/student mode]

;)

Model their early years - they were apparently seen on occasion at Mablethorpe and/or Grimsby

D5909 made it to Skegness in 1959. It was in the local newspapers.

With this one, If anyone does a sound chip at least we will know what it sounds like due to the sole surviving engine at Barrow Hill!!

Paul

The sound is won't be quite right. OK, the engine's the real deal, but on a real baby deltic there were whirring sounds caused by the compressors, and traction motor blowers driven directly by the engine. There's a good recording of D5909 at Hitchin in 1959, by Peter Handford on a CD called 'Diesels Through The Decades'.