Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

A VERY interesting formation, BD - interesting to see a Fruit D on a GN outer suburban train (legitimises what happens sometimes on my layout!); but do you think the blue 'un could actually be a CL? There COULD be a yellow stripe above the further windows, the gaps in the footboards look a bit different from those on an SLO, and a train like that would normally have included some first class.....??

Looks like it could be a CL. You're right about that yellow stripe at the far end.

• RMweb Gold

No doubting the haulage capability of the Baby Deltic, had her running up some steep inclines with 60 Bachmann Presflos and it was silky smooth throughout. Heljan sure make some lovely runners. (Original Claytons aside!)

This layout is a work in progress and has six levels. I know a Baby Deltic probably will never have to haul such loads on most layouts, but it's nice to know that they can handle such large amounts.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

As Brian has already said there are plans to modify the tooling to backdate the Baby Deltic to original condition as built and as first withdrawn before refurbishment. The two versions will carry the same livery but one of these will carry frost grilles and blanking plates. Both of these will carry nose end doors, disc headcode and access ladder and will be finished in original BR green with off white shirt and red bufferbeams. This backdated version probably will not be available until late 2012 and have been allocated catalogue numbers 2320-2303.

There will be another batch on the high seas before too long consisting of 2304 D5901 GSYP RTC, 2305 D5902 GSYP gloss, 2306 D5904 GLYE and 2307 D5909 BLYE weathered. There is more than likely to be a further batch before the tooling is changed.

Having decided to get one of the original versions of the BD when it comes out, I’m trying to decide upon which one and am a bit stumped regarding ‘with’ or ‘without’ frost grills and realise I’m not really sure of the difference visually. There are two excellent images posted earlier on this thread of both examples and the only difference I can see with my untrained eye is a diagonal plate running across the grill area. Also, did all versions receive them after production or were some fitted from new? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Having decided to get one of the original versions of the BD when it comes out, I’m trying to decide upon which one and am a bit stumped regarding ‘with’ or ‘without’ frost grills and realise I’m not really sure of the difference visually. There are two excellent images posted earlier on this thread of both examples and the only difference I can see with my untrained eye is a diagonal plate running across the grill area. Also, did all versions receive them after production or were some fitted from new? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

These were all in service by mid-1959,when frost grilles were being fitted to new Vulcan Foundry --and other---locos--e.g. the type 4's ( later Class 40) However,having looked at early photos of some ,I don't think you can be certain of the situation in every case. It appears that some carried them and some didn't..I saw all of them in service before their modification but after 50 years,the memory dims. Besides,I didn't know what a frost grille was. The dreaded '62--'63 winter was yet to come. It challenged the new 'Diesel Dawn' somewhat !

These were all in service by mid-1959,when frost grilles were being fitted to new Vulcan Foundry --and other---locos--e.g. the type 4's ( later Class 40) However,having looked at early photos of some ,I don't think you can be certain of the situation in every case. It appears that some carried them and some didn't..I saw all of them in service before their modification but after 50 years,the memory dims. Besides,I didn't know what a frost grille was. The dreaded '62--'63 winter was yet to come. It challenged the new 'Diesel Dawn' somewhat !

Thanks Ian. You’re lucky to have memories of them. Sadly I don’t remember the 23’s at all although I still have a vivid image of my first A4 at Kings Cross but then what right-minded rail enthusiast wouldn’t have been awe-struck by one of those!

• 1 month later...

Received from Hattons at 16.22 today.

This is an automatically generated email to tell you that Heljan UK 2300 Class 23 Baby Deltic diesel D5900 in BR Green livery with Small Yellow Panels and 4 character headcode. is now in stock and ready to purchase at http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=31976 for £96.00.

I think the first batch went very quickly.

Regards,

Brian.

• 1 month later...

The second pre-production sample wasn't fully approved so AFAIC we are still awaiting the third. I looks good though and there are now only a couple of small errors to correct namely the framework around the frost grilles and the headcode discs fitment. November seems very optimistic though for these versions and I would estimate early 2013 for release. I would think the Class 16 will be out before this though and we are awaiting livery samples at present.

• Like 2

Cheers,

Nice to know they are progressing well with both, I am looking forward to these so not bothered in what order they come in. Will Heljan be showing the samples to the public? Howes usually have the samples so will have to take a trip along there to have a sneaky peek.

Cheers,

Nice to know they are progressing well with both, I am looking forward to these so not bothered in what order they come in. Will Heljan be showing the samples to the public? Howes usually have the samples so will have to take a trip along there to have a sneaky peek.

Heljan will be displaying painted samples of these at Warley and I'm sure they will let you have a good close up examination.

Depending on what arrives between now and the 26th sample wise I may take a couple along to Baby Deltic's (Lloyd W) open day at Colchester for a run on Harford Street. Meanwhile I sure Howes will let you have a look at what they have if they haven't sent them back. Just bear in mind they are EP samples and not the finished product.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ok the errors are coming to light.

Nose

Radius where front of nose meets bodyside is wrong

Nose curvature wrong.

Slope on bonnet is too much.

Also where bonnet meets bodyside, it should line up with bottom of drivers window.

Has anyone had a go at correcting the nose issues (NOT the headcode box) - it's that mismatch of bonnet/bodysidejoin not lining up with the cabside windows that is most glaring (to me). I'd considered reducing the height of the windows from the bottom edge, but that leads to other issues with lining up against bodyside grilles and windows. Is it a case of pack the inside of the nose with filler and have at it with the Big File??

Picked up a cheap blue one for use on Ripper Street 2. I've already shifted the sideframes up so the axleboxes line up with the axle centres and corrected some of the blatant gauge error *huge grin*

TIA!

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had a go at correcting the nose issues (NOT the headcode box) - it's that mismatch of bonnet/bodysidejoin not lining up with the cabside windows that is most glaring (to me). I'd considered reducing the height of the windows from the bottom edge, but that leads to other issues with lining up against bodyside grilles and windows. Is it a case of pack the inside of the nose with filler and have at it with the Big File??

Picked up a cheap blue one for use on Ripper Street 2. I've already shifted the sideframes up so the axleboxes line up with the axle centres and corrected some of the blatant gauge error *huge grin*

TIA!

Hi Alan

The answer to your problem might be in DEMU's Update 34...the one with a photo of four odd looking blokes wearing Blyth Power T shirts :sungum:

Or is it a case of what Lloyd (aka Baby Deltic) says in my signature quote. :scratchhead:

• 3 years later...

Don't think this has been mentioned but some of the second batch appear to have bad fitting front cab windows, I don't see this

on the first batch produced, I ask this before I go ahead and purchase.

Edited by paul 27

By 'second batch' what exactly do you intend?

If it is the second group of releases covering the original appearance in service, (disc headcodes, no yellow panel) then the three I have closely inspected have neatly fitted cab windows. The only faults that announced themselves were the decidedly murky BR totem (ghastly thang, who cares?) and slight mispositioning of the red to cream transitions on the lower bodyside band. (Any other faults it might display are submerged in the general overwhelmingly successful impression of Baby Delticness the model conveys.)

• RMweb Gold

I have several of these that replaced my cut and shut Hornby 37 project from the 1980s which was never completed.

What jars with me with the Heljan model is the headcode box, my ancient project looked more realistic at least in this area. The Heljan models box apertures are too small and limits the size of the headcode characters that can be added, diminishing the appearance of the front end,

Paul James of the EM gauge 1970s crew has had a go at this with impressive results.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_class23.html

The Kier Hardy site is a never ending source of inspiration.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I've got three of the disc headcode type (if that's what you mean by the 'second batch' - Heljan produced these after the four character headcode type) and have never noticed anything wrong with the cab glazing.

• 3 years later...
16 minutes ago, MoarCrossovers said:

What are the general thoughts on Heljan's Baby Deltic? I learnt about them yesterday and am considering hunting one down, but there doesn't seem to be many reviews on them in order to gain a better option before purchasing.

Your post is ideally placed on the nineteenth page of the very topic that contains detailed reviews.  Start scanning on about page thirteen to get a full picture.

In summary, a little debate over details and aspects of the body and detailing, livery attributes and crispness of early releases, and confirmation that the beast will pull the house down.  

If you're in the market  for a  rather fine RTR Class 23 in OO then this is your only option, other than extensive fettling.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1