Almost enough work there to *kof*justify a full body kit*kof* :P

Mercian still list both an Austerity and a 50550 so probably not worth putting another kit on the market, better I think to provide options for those using the Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol kit or the Dapol/Hornby RTR model as a starting point.

Of course any cab varients etc. could possibly be mated to the Mercian kit.

(With apologies to Robert for mentioning another manufactorer in his thread!)

....Of course any cab varients etc. could possibly be mated to the Mercian kit.

Back in the early 1990s, Wychbury Loco Works (remember them?) actually did produce detail etches to allow you to build things like Lambton cabs, and hopper bunkers / modified cab backs for some of the J94s. Very ingenious. Like a great many things, they fell by the wayside, so probably just as well that RT is considering a 21st century nickel-silver version.

Wychbury even produced a J94 chassis kit for a while...... That became unavailable too, but RT has filled that gap, and everyone can get building again.

Maunsell "N" mogul request

Going off at a tangent, but still sticking with RT's 4mm range, I was quite taken with his useful kit for the Bachmann "N" to represent the re-framed Maunsell "N" moguls. I wonder whether he might consider taking things a bit further and having a look at a complete etched replacement footplate?

Only reason why I ask this is because the Bachmann one is a mazak casting, and a number of them are known to have cracked / disintegrated, including mine :angry: which literally collapsed into not much more than metal dust a while ago. I'm not happy about trying to obtain another mazak casting (which might also disintegrate eventually), so would this be an opportunity for a good strong replacement to mate with the Bachmann boiler/firebox/cab moulding? Such etching could allow options like:

- original or curved frame fronts

- finer replacement lamp irons.

- finer footsteps.

- etched smoke deflectors

What d'ye think, Mr. Thompson? ;)

• Like 1

Going off on another tangent, a kit for a Hudson side tipping wagon is missing from the market.

Hudson side tipping wagon

An interesting wagon that would fit in with your existing range.

As used by steelworks, collieries, quarries etc.

Chilton Iron Works used to do an etched kit but they seem to have long disappeared.

Plus one from me for the tipper. There's a rather nice drawing in the IRS industrial wagon publication IIRC.

It should be noted that steps and so on can be had from AMBIS engineering.

AMBIS Engineering Division

(Alan Austin)

27 Stanhope Gardens

Ilford

Essex

IG1 3LQ

e-mail: alan [at] austinalan.wanadoo.co.uk - details from supplier.text

NOTE, NEW CONTACT DETAILS AND WEBSITE: http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/

Nice little etch, though many of the components (alternative rods for 50550, etc.) are not strictly relevant and the etched spoke overlays for Sharman's version of the Austerity wheel are now obsolete.

Adam

Edited by Adam

Plus one from me for the tipper. There's a rather nice drawing in the IRS industrial wagon publication IIRC.

There is indeed, as well as a drawing for a wooden 'Manchester Ship Canal' type side tipper (hint hint...).

Back in the early 1990s, Wychbury Loco Works (remember them?) actually did produce detail etches to allow you to build things like Lambton cabs, and hopper bunkers / modified cab backs for some of the J94s. Very ingenious. Like a great many things, they fell by the wayside, so probably just as well that RT is considering a 21st century nickel-silver version.

Wychbury even produced a J94 chassis kit for a while...... That became unavailable too, but RT has filled that gap, and everyone can get building again.

Wychbury was a Mercian/Agenoria partnership, Mercian still market the "Wychbury" Festiniog Railway England 0-4-0 loco, though who had what of the rest of the kits at the breakup of the partnership I don't know. A query to Trevor at Mercian would soon find out what is available.

Phil T.

Hi Robert,

Dragging that line back from the tangents…

Good to see you are considering producing the dome. Since our exchange of e mails I’ve had a look through some of my Austerity/J94 photographs some of which give the impression two dome sizes may have been fitted.

I hoping its just distortion of the photographs.

There’s a good phot of a dome albeit Dutch, about midway down this page:

Dutch Austerity

For your accessories etch how about some builders plates that were fitted to some bunker sides and maybe half etched saddle tank to spectacle plate brackets?

An etch to glue on the back of Gibson wheels to give the impression of the filled and two webbed spokes either side of the boss may be worth considering? (That would have saved a pal a bit of job that he’s just done on his.)

Apparently there were two types of wheel fitted to the J94 making three in total if you count the sixteen spoke wheels fitted to some of the industrial versions…

You may be aware of this publication. A good perusal may give you some more ideas.

It’s the Austerity tank parts catalogue that contains some excellent drawings and illustrations. Well worth a fiver.

Austerity Cat

Now lets think what else can wish list. ;)

Porcy

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Paul here, there is no point in me bringing out a full kit, i know i'm half way there already! :laugh:

I also don't have a problem with you mentioning another manufacturer.

I know Trever at Mercian anayway, in fact it was him that asked me to produce the 0 gauge Giesl Chimney for the Austerity tank.

Mercian still list both an Austerity and a 50550 so probably not worth putting another kit on the market, better I think to provide options for those using the Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol kit or the Dapol/Hornby RTR model as a starting point.

Of course any cab varients etc. could possibly be mated to the Mercian kit.

(With apologies to Robert for mentioning another manufactorer in his thread!)

• RMweb Gold

Nickel silver is a really good material and alot of my kits and parts do use it, however its now alot more expensive than brass so i'm being more selective in what i use it in now and whats appropiate, also its slightly harder to roll than brass for a curved cab (lambton) which can also leave distortions in some cases. The 4mm scale, 009 gauge HGW Peckett uses brass because of its curved cab. (final test castings due in a week or 2)

SR N Class, i agree with the cast running plate problems, i've been very lucky as i have a very early one and its been fine, i however bought one second hand off Bachmann at warley a few years ago, (i won't say how much as it will make you sick just like the person next to me at the time! :bo_mini: )It was really worn out, some of the paint was worn away, there was litrally no lining left and yet the running plate was pristine and mint, a sign that it had been replaced by Bachmann.

I can look into doing it but it will be quite a while before i do it as i have so many projects to get out of the way and also development cost is another factor.

You've forgotton another variant, the N1!

so probably just as well that RT is considering a 21st century nickel-silver version.

Maunsell "N" mogul request

Going off at a tangent, but still sticking with RT's 4mm range, I was quite taken with his useful kit for the Bachmann "N" to represent the re-framed Maunsell "N" moguls. I wonder whether he might consider taking things a bit further and having a look at a complete etched replacement footplate?

Only reason why I ask this is because the Bachmann one is a mazak casting, and a number of them are known to have cracked / disintegrated, including mine :angry: which literally collapsed into not much more than metal dust a while ago. I'm not happy about trying to obtain another mazak casting (which might also disintegrate eventually), so would this be an opportunity for a good strong replacement to mate with the Bachmann boiler/firebox/cab moulding? Such etching could allow options like:

- original or curved frame fronts

- finer replacement lamp irons.

- finer footsteps.

- etched smoke deflectors

What d'ye think, Mr. Thompson? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Funny enough, i went hunting for one to photograph on sunday but found they didn't have one there anymore :(

I would like a rake myself one day.

Going off on another tangent, a kit for a Hudson side tipping wagon is missing from the market.

Hudson side tipping wagon

An interesting wagon that would fit in with your existing range.

As used by steelworks, collieries, quarries etc.

Chilton Iron Works used to do an etched kit but they seem to have long disappeared.

• RMweb Gold

I will have a look through photos to check the domes just to make sure, I will see tomorrow if i can find the real dome to the austerity tank during my meal break to photo and measure, luckily i finish in town anyway.

Hi Robert,

Dragging that line back from the tangents…

Good to see you are considering producing the dome. Since our exchange of e mails I’ve had a look through some of my Austerity/J94 photographs some of which give the impression two dome sizes may have been fitted.

I hoping its just distortion of the photographs.

There’s a good phot of a dome albeit Dutch, about midway down this page:

Dutch Austerity

For your accessories etch how about some builders plates that were fitted to some bunker sides and maybe half etched saddle tank to spectacle plate brackets?

An etch to glue on the back of Gibson wheels to give the impression of the filled and two webbed spokes either side of the boss may be worth considering? (That would have saved a pal a bit of job that he’s just done on his.)

Apparently there were two types of wheel fitted to the J94 making three in total if you count the sixteen spoke wheels fitted to some of the industrial versions…

You may be aware of this publication. A good perusal may give you some more ideas.

It’s the Austerity tank parts catalogue that contains some excellent drawings and illustrations. Well worth a fiver.

Austerity Cat

Now lets think what else can wish list. ;)

Porcy

....SR N Class,

.....I can look into doing it but it will be quite a while before i do it as i have so many projects to get out of the way and also development cost is another factor.

I can wait. But if I can put my name down for one now...... ;)

You've forgotton another variant, the N1!

True, but only if you want to get involved with different cylinders and a breeze-block of a front footplate!!

Funny enough, i went hunting for one to photograph on sunday but found they didn't have one there anymore :(

I might be able to help out there. It'll be 1960' Black & white though. I'll see what I can dig up later this morning.

Porcy

Pic Should be with you now

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

a quick update on the 4mm scale, 009 gauge Harrogate Gasworks and Statfold Barn Railway Peckett 0-6-0ST.

I've been told the approved castings should arrive at the end off the week so both versions shoud be on general sale over the weekend.

This will also include for 4mm scale, standard gauge people...

S&L heavy duty buffers

Peckett buffers

Austerity/J94 standard cast chimney

Austerity Stoker glass fibre chimney

Regards Robert

RT Models

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

now available on the website

The 4mm scale, 009 narrow gauge Harrogate Gas works and Statfold Barn Railway 0-6-0ST Peckett.

4mm scale narrowgauge,

loco detailing small locomotive jack

4mm scale, standard gauge,

S&L heavy duty loco buffers.

Peckett loco buffers

Austerity/J94 cast chimney

Austerity conical stoker chimney

Regards Robert

RT Models

• Like 2

Apologies for not mentioning this before, but it occurs to me that a cast filler cap for the Austerity saddletank would be usefull for those of us with the Kitmaster/Airfix kit, after all if you're making a chimney and dome it seems logical to make a filler!

The buffers look good, especially the heavy duty ones.

Off on another wishlist/tangent type of thing (sorry!), how about some etched end ladders/walkways and steps for the Airfix/Dapol Interfrigo van?

• RMweb Gold

I can look into this, i know where the tank filler although i will need to check how stable the saddletank is before i climb on it.

Unlike the dome the other day which after measuring around the cab i found the dome in the coal bunker and managed to lift it out, was surprised at how light it was!

Is the Dapol interfrigo in 4mm scale or 3.5mm scale, i've never been able to decide?

Shame Airfix never did the more common wagons found over this side of the channel, think they are SNCF, theres one preserved in the NRM which i photograhed several years ago?

Apologies for not mentioning this before, but it occurs to me that a cast filler cap for the Austerity saddletank would be usefull for those of us with the Kitmaster/Airfix kit, after all if you're making a chimney and dome it seems logical to make a filler!

The buffers look good, especially the heavy duty ones.

Off on another wishlist/tangent type of thing (sorry!), how about some etched end ladders/walkways and steps for the Airfix/Dapol Interfrigo van?

Regards Robert

RT Models

Now you have done the BoB/WC front piping, how about a replacement for the plastic piping that goes under the BoB/WC cab. My attempt with soldered brass wire was a miserable failure.

Going back to Austerity detailing, how about a set of jointed replacement coupling rods for the Dapol/Hornby model? Or better still, two sets, one that could be a straight swap for those using the original wheels (which use a large crankpin), and one to suit scale (Gibson etc.) wheels?

I've had a look and I can't find anyone else that does them. (Someone will now prove me wrong...)

Lamp Irons, front and rear footsteps including the optional extra steps as featured on 68078 http://www.flickr.co...ol-1604787@N25/

front buffer beam to front steps strengthers as featured on http://www.flickr.co...ol-1604787@N25/

Bunker coal rails as featured on the preserved example http://www.flickr.co...ol-1604787@N25/

and some saddle tank footsteps would be a good start

Regards

Trevor

The photo of 68078 is a good guide to the differences to be found on the Austerities and the alterations made to the J94's by LNER/BR :

a, 68078 was built by Andrew Barclays and the handrail on the side of the saddle tank is mounted higher than Austerities from the other builders; because of this the extra handgrip above the step is nearer to vertical than the J94's from other builders.

b, The handrail pillars on 68078 are made of plain round bar as fitted to the WD 2-8-0s/2-10-0s, these were fitted to all Austerities except those built by Hunslet from late 1944 onwards.

c, The footplate steps on 68078 are typical of the thirty J94s that were allocated to the Eastern Region, these were all dealt with by Gorton Works until the late 1950s. If you look closely you will see that the front and rear steps have the ends slightly angled to stop feet from slipping off the step, however, the extra middle steps added by LNER/BR have vertical pieces welded on. This applies to most of the ER based j94s. The fortyfive locos based at ex NER sheds had the vertical pieces added to all the steps.

d,Another modification on many of the J94s was the fitting of a smokebox doorstop on the smokebox front, again look closely at the photo of 68078 and you will see two bolts on the edge of the smokebox front near the door hinge where the doorstop was fitted.

Austerities built by Hudswell Clarke have another addition which is easily missed, they have two triangular lifting lugs fitted to the tank top, one is fitted between the chimney and the water filler and the other between the dome and the cutout for the whistle.

It is well documented that the J94s sent to the Cromford and High Peak section were fitted with oval buffers because of the sharp curves of that route; but the locos allocated to Bidston shed for working in Birkenhead Docks were also fitted with oval buffers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

a quick update the 4mm scale Ruston 48DS chassis test etch arrived today and has been approved so will order the production batch once some other test etches arrive for some other new kits.

Expected price will be between £8.00 and £10.00, once again the final price will depend on the cost of the production batch.

Lots more kits and parts in other gauges and scales expected soon but won't say too much right now, just going off to build the test etches.

Regards Robert

RT Models

Hello everyone,

a quick update the 4mm scale Ruston 48DS chassis test etch arrived today and has been approved so will order the production batch once some other test etches arrive for some other new kits.

Expected price will be between £8.00 and £10.00, once again the final price will depend on the cost of the production batch.

Regards Robert

RT Models

Ooh.....good :)

Cheers

JAn

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

its actually the LT 60ft rail wagon that i've been working on and the Hurst Nelson Brake van, got a nearly fully built up model sat here but needs some modifications and the patterns created.

I will get round to working on this again later in the year.

Hi there

I heard through a friend, that your working on the brass etchings for a London transport 50ft bogie wagon/flat in 4mm

Is this the case or is it someone else?

Mark

• Like 1