Waverley line Branches

mr magnolia

Our little bit of the real world is very close to Brunstane and Portobello, on the Waverley route.

In the late 50s / early 60s, what type of passenger stock would we have seen floating by? We are n gauge by nature, and seeking appropriate models to reflect the local and branch passenger services.

As a wider question, is there a 'bible' equivalent to answer questions such as these?

thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium

Our little bit of the real world is very close to Brunstane and Portobello, on the Waverley route.

In the late 50s / early 60s, what type of passenger stock would we have seen floating by? We are n gauge by nature, and seeking appropriate models to reflect the local and branch passenger services.

As a wider question, is there a 'bible' equivalent to answer questions such as these?

thanks in advance

There are two books worth referring to for details and lots of good photos for the period that you are interested in, these are:

Rail Centres : Edinburgh by AJ Mullay, and

An illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways by WAC Smith and Paul Anderson.

thanks - I look forward to spending some more of the research budget!

edit - although the going rate for the out-of-print

An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways seems to be about £60! (cough...)

(dunno why the bold bit is here - the beauty of copy/paste, I guess)

An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways seems to be about £60! (cough...)

Not necessarily - see here (though they're both in Australia!)

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Rail Centres: Edinburgh might give you a bit.

You might alos get a fair bit out of Roger Siviter's Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route (Runpast Publishing 2004), which will alos be easy to get hold of. Got my copy in Peebles a few years back and spies told me they'd seen it in Hexham a few months ago. The last few pages cover the northern end, and to help you out a bit while you wait for your books to arrive from Australia, one pic in your period shows A3 + maroon gresley brake + blood and custard Mk1 + b&c gresley + maroon gresley + b&c gresley brake. All I think available from Dapol/Farish? A lot of the pictures are a bit later than your period, but just show the same stock (albeit with Mk1s more dominant) in maroon. There's the odd Thompson in there too, but I don't think you have one in N? There was Stanier stock, too, but I can't find any going all the way through to your end of the line, even behind ex-LMS locos. There's a B1 on a local with 2 staniers but only going as far north as Hawick. Note sure what the local trains used at the north end (if there were any), but anyway I don't think you have local coaches in N, do you?

Hope this helps.

thanks for that - I've also got a picture of a B1 with mk1s and a carmine / cream Gresley in 1959, heading to Hawick from Waverley. thats a farish/Dapol combo i think!

thats in 'the waverley route - the post war years' by robert robotham, courtesy of portobello library. Like most books, the captions concentrate on the locomotives and duffers like me can't tell the difference between coaches in black and white photos without a caption.

I shall await my book deliveries with interest though.

• RMweb Premium

Glad you're starting to work out some combinations.

For quick recognition, Gresleys have beading lines and are divided into panels; Staniers are smooth-sided steel much like Mk1s, but the former are shorter and have reinforcing trusses under the body (which look like a girder suspended by two diagonal girders). Thompsons are also smooth-sided steel, but have at least one oval window somewhere towards the ends. That's very over-simplified, but might help....

thanks for that - I've also got a picture of a B1 with mk1s and a carmine / cream Gresley in 1959, heading to Hawick from Waverley. thats a farish/Dapol combo i think!

thats in 'the waverley route - the post war years' by robert robotham, courtesy of portobello library. Like most books, the captions concentrate on the locomotives and duffers like me can't tell the difference between coaches in black and white photos without a caption.

I shall await my book deliveries with interest though.

You'll find more than a few linkies and suggested reading at this destination:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/6186-waverley-route-new-image-links-and-discussion/

Enjoy.... biggrin.gif

You'll find more than a few linkies and suggested reading at this destination:

http://www.rmweb.co....and-discussion/

Enjoy.... biggrin.gif

:O help! (oh - and thanks) and thanks for the style tips mr daddio - shorter coaches are always a good option on a small layout; I shall be looking very closely to see what I can get away with.

the wonder of Amazon shops brought me my 'rail centres: edinburgh' yesterday as well, with an invoice that suggests I have paid 90p plus £2.80 pp. Can't argue with that!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks in advance

I have a copy of A.A Maclean's "The Edinburgh Suburban and South Side Junction Railway" from Oakwood Press. Its a fantastic book and covers all the locomotives and rolling stock on the line, it also breaks the suburban line into sections and gives details of stations, including drawings. There are lots of pictures, diagrams and maps all very useful for modelling research.

I'd recommend it.

Glad you're starting to work out some combinations.

For quick recognition, Gresleys have beading lines and are divided into panels; Staniers are smooth-sided steel much like Mk1s, but the former are shorter and have reinforcing trusses under the body (which look like a girder suspended by two diagonal girders). Thompsons are also smooth-sided steel, but have at least one oval window somewhere towards the ends. That's very over-simplified, but might help....

Another useful guide is the roof

- Gresley coaches the roof ends curve down to meet the end of the coach

- Stanier & Thompson coaches they continue straight to meet the roof as with Mark 1

- Gresley & Thompson stock have curved rainstrips along the sides of the roofs

- Thompson coaches will either have corridor connectors or flat ends - the flat ended ones are the 'suburban' sets and much shorter (51')

If you get that far then a brilliant resource for matching coach sides to diagrams is to compare photos with the comet web site pictures !

Dapol/Farish? A lot of the pictures are a bit later than your period, but just show the same stock (albeit with Mk1s more dominant) in maroon. There's the odd Thompson in there too, but I don't think you have one in N?

It kit form but not RTR. The 61'6" Gresley stock is reasonably well covered in RTR form however.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a great time prowling the various links and books recommended here - its taking me off in all sorts of tangents!

The Edinburgh Suburban and South Side Junction Railway is next on the shopping list, I reckon.

Then it will be time to take stock, as it were.

thanks all.

• RMweb Premium

This might be getting off the original subject a wee bit but, there is also a rather nice book on the Balerno Branch and the Caley in Edinburgh. A very nice Edinburgh suburban line that ran through the delightful Colinton Dell. There is also another book with particular reference to Edinburgh's railways you may find useful as background reference - Steam days at Haymarket which contains lots of details of life at Haymarket, loco workings and lots of nice photos.

A very nice Edinburgh suburban line that ran through the delightful Colinton Dell. There is also another book with particular reference to Edinburgh's railways you may find useful as background reference - Steam days at Haymarket which contains lots of details of life at Haymarket, loco workings and lots of nice photos.

thanks again - even if Colinton is a bit foreign to us porty types in the north east of the city!

• 2 months later...

Morning all! Topic title change to denote the place for all the Branch talk, acknowledging Mr Magnolia's contribution starting this thread long before Groups were mooted.

And here's one of Railscot's latest crop to alert you to the thread, it's End of the Line at Penicuik.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=34469

Feel free to use this for everything branch-related, the Border Counties line has its own special place cool.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Max Stafford

it appears to be Stanier Period three corridor stock, most likely a Diagram 1905 or 1968 BSK and Diagram 1969 CK.

Loco; Ivatt 4MT.

Hope that's a help!

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Caption says it's going the other way, 'Chard, and that agrees with the map :unsure: .

I completely agree mate. I wrote the entry blind, as it were. Then when I came to edit it after double-checking the caption, the software bug was present preventing me from so-doing, hence the error was perpetuated. Grrrr....

Archived