Waverley line Branches

mr magnolia

Jedburgh Branch.

The signal box diagram of Jedburgh (https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lner/E382.gif) shows two FPLs which, I presume are Facing Point Locks. 

The one at the approach to Jedburgh has "FPL (1 Hole) Normally In": this leads to either the sidings or the "main line".  The second facing point lock, leading to the platform and the run-round loop is "FPL (2 Holes)".

Can some kind soul explain 1 or 2 hole FPLs?  I understand the FPL part, but 1 or 2 hole, I don't.

All this has come about after talking to an old Jedburgh worthy - also a train-spotter of some vintage - who was recalling the arrival and departure of three excursion passenger trains and 'wished [he] had a diagram to explain it easily'

The SRS have various box diagrams of interest to Waverley Route followers and the copy of Jedburgh received from them is excellent.

Attached is one of his photos near St Boswells loco 2487 (with 1946 number) 'Glen Arklet'.

Bruce

post-5524-0-75011600-1528908101_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce,

FPL is facing point lock, the reference to holes will be whether the point is locked in normal and reverse or just normal.The hole being the notch in the end stretcher where the lock fits into, one hole is the point is lockable in only one position Which one it is would depend on possible passenger train movements moving into the moveable or facing end of the points.

Hope that helps

Colin

• 3 months later...

"Dwn Express.   13 Plum & spilt milk.    No 115 Empire of India at Wooden 1330hrs 18th Sept 1948”

So it says on the back of the Brownie print. Posted on this board one day shy of the 70 years ago that the photo was taken.

Wooden is within a stone's throw of Mellendean end-on juction where the NER and NBR met end-on.

The late Tom Glendinning recalled the visit to Hawick station of Empire of India painted black conveying HM King George on his visit to Hawick.

Bruce

post-5524-0-39656100-1537199550.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Bruce,

FPL is facing point lock, the reference to holes will be whether the point is locked in normal and reverse or just normal.The hole being the notch in the end stretcher where the lock fits into, one hole is the point is lockable in only one position Which one it is would depend on possible passenger train movements moving into the moveable or facing end of the points.

Hope that helps

Colin

Please forgive my ignorance, but is Normal "straight ahead" and Reverse "left or right"? ("" for want of better descriptions)

If so is this how the points are properly referred?

• RMweb Gold

Normal is where the points are normally set and reverse is the change of direction. It doesn’t always follow that “normal” is the straight on road. Normal/ reverse are the correct terms

Colin

Thanks, I understand that now having thought about it.

• 4 months later...

The attached  scan (courtesy of Bruce) is from an original photograph which has been in my possession for about 60 years. When I attended Duns Primary School in the late ’50s/early '60s, my teacher for a short spell was one Sheila Romanes, the daughter-in-law of C J L Romanes, who was a renowned railway photographer between the wars. Sheila knew that I was interested in railways and was kind enough to let me have this and one other mounted print (of an A3 at Dunbar, so not relevant here). 

Depicted are ex-NBR Scott class 4-4-0s Nos. 9895 Rob Roy (LNER D29) and 9363 Hal o’ the Wynd (LNER D30) pausing at Duns on 30th September 1928 while working a Hawick (?) to Whitley Bay day excursion. It is noted on the back of the photograph that the exposure was f5.6 @ 1/100 on Ilford Panchromatic film and that the ticket price was 5/-.

Bill

9896 & 9363 Duns 30-9-28.jpg

Archived