Waverley line Branches

mr magnolia

Chard those Cess level steps 5180 seem to make no sense at all. I cannot find a clear enough shot of her to see if she wore them at any other time around that period.

Derby Sulzers hasn't shed any light on it either, only shot is this one: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/ImageView.aspx?id=1c45acbf-4f4b-4386-9fbe-61429f8d6568

But it's 50 whole pence more than i can afford.

Here is what Kelso station site looks like today (about 1PM)

Not all has gone half the station yard entrance is still there

Behind the fence the old station yard awaits development

Then looking to Berwick the new roadabout and superstore

Next looking towards St Boswells

post-368-0-53127900-1315334408.jpg

post-368-0-36064700-1315334462_thumb.jpg

post-368-0-59989700-1315334484.jpg

post-368-0-46217300-1315334501.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Here's a branch we don't often feature. However, the reference to Hardengreen Jct is surely spurious, isn't it? Reminder to self, it's time to get the map out later ;)

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=35558

Hi Chard,

You need the map...

The description for the photo in the link is correct.

The photo was taken looking towards Hardengreen Junction from the Millerhill side of the junction for Dalkeith Colliery.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

To be honest, I didn't realise Jedburgh had a turning facility. I can't say I've ever seen a photo of it so thanks for enlightening me!

Dave.

From the 1863 map, you can make out the turntable as in those days the mapmakers fortunately listed such objects.

post-7852-0-86165000-1317465299.jpg

But it doesn't seem to have lasted too long - it's not there on the 1898 map.

Been on Google Earth again, this time starting out around our favourite searchlight! Anyway, one gasometer later, I found myself traversing - in a virtual sense - Boleside Road along the north-westerly bank of the mighty Tweed. And, contrary to what i had believed for ages, the Selkirk branch solum is relatively unobstructed from the point of the A6091 thundering above it, down towards its old river crossing, where the realigned A7 takes over its course on towards Lindean.

I half-remembered some road-over rail bridge parapets before, and later during, the eighties roadworks around that area between Darnick and Gala. They always struck me as belonging to the Selkirk branch but I've never been able to place them since. And I'm not sure this evening's virtual drive has done much to improve matters. The key possibly lies in the vintage 1961 AA Scottish Book of The Road, my copy of which awaits, somewhere in the resource space better known as the garage of number twelve!

Between netherdale and Boleside, hidden in the trees, there used to be a foot bridge over the solum. It was still there about 10 years ago. It was a lattice girder structure

The building of new road form Netherdale to langlee involved removal of some of the embankment and the remains of the railway bridge over the Boleside road.

Not sure if we have seen this at Gordon before ?

But you may have seen this one of mine - the last freight train ever to leave Gordon for St Boswells - reproduced in Julian Holland's Discovering Scotland's Lost Local Lines

post-5524-0-06567200-1318343564.jpg

The about to be made redundant stationmaster had been waving the flag for the benefit of the unofficial passengers in the Guards van having their last trip to Greelaw. This is almost the saddest photo I ever took, the stationmaster watching his raison d'être disappearing into the distance under the bridge; he was quite choked when he turned round.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Archived