Tim's painting and weathering workbench

Guest LNER Tom

Do you think making an EM Chassis for her seperatley would be possible. I know it means getting a new Duchess chassis and making a trailing bogie, but I suppose it would mean that you could still run on Llandudno Junction and use her on your future EM layout. I know Mr Wright has done something similar with one of his Thompson A2s so it can also run on Retford ;).

Back to the model. What makes it for me are the subtlety of the weathering. Look at those smoke deflectors and how they are streaked, I really love that effect. How many times do we see weathering on the loco, but the smoke deflectors are completely flat with just a dull Grey rolleyes.gif.

What's next for a grime make over?

• Like 1

Do you think making an EM Chassis for her seperatley would be possible. I know it means getting a new Duchess chassis and making a trailing bogie, but I suppose it would mean that you could still run on Llandudno Junction and use her on your future EM layout. I know Mr Wright has done something similar with one of his Thompson A2s so it can also run on Retford ;).

I could, but given that the life-expectancy of Llandudno Junction is limited to only a few more years, it's not going to happen. The mainline side of things won't be remotely ready by that time, but I still wanted to finish her, because I ran out of time (and lining) at the time :) Got the new balance weights though and the bogie wheels only need new axles as they are already the final ones. ;)

Back to the model. What makes it for me are the subtlety of the weathering. Look at those smoke deflectors and how they are streaked, I really love that effect. How many times do we see weathering on the loco, but the smoke deflectors are completely flat with just a dull Grey rolleyes.gif.

That was one thing I really wanted to get right, given that I'd originally given them a dirty look, which I soon found was wrong (it pays to look at prototype photos properly!). See below for how it started life - this is one of the shots not used in the recent appearance of LJ in Hornby Magazine, thus I can reproduce it here.

post-6712-0-47000100-1300022121_thumb.jpg

Comparison shot at a similar head-on viewpoint. Note the cleaner smokebox (Microsol again, plus a cotton bud and some dirty-ish paint).

post-6712-0-36611000-1300022510_thumb.jpg

What's next for a grime make over?

As eluded to early in the thread, I've got an 8F to deal with, though it's not the only EM'd one I have. Knowing me, it'll be both of them, which will suit me as I really could do with them out of the way! laugh.gif

Both locos are quite different and will demand subtly different treatments. The Fowler tendered one (48046) is being done from a photo taken by Chris Evans during August 1961 and it's absolutely filthy. The number is barely visible and as for the tender emblem, I know it's there but I cannot for the life of me see it! blink.gif

Might just have to crack the airbrush out for those two.....

• Like 1

Congratulations Tim, looks just right!

As well as agreeing with other comments, I especially like the effects you have managed with the wheels and motion. They look just as all the colour photos of 60's Duchesses seem to portray. Ideal mix of oily, dirty and "alive".

I guess you have to redo all, or at least some of, that when you regauge?

Iain

Remind me again, how did you get that extra texture on the driving wheels of your dad's 9F? I remember you telling me, but can't for the life of me remember

It's just fine talc stippled in with the paint mix.

Nice work on the Duchess, you've captured the weathered red very effectively.

• Like 1

and as for the tender emblem, I know it's there but I cannot for the life of me see it! blink.gif

Just don't bother adding an emblem - there's a danger the thickness of the transfer (even Pressfix or Methfix) could show through.

Do you remember that 9F I did? It's owner was impressed by how you could hardly see the badge on the tender - there wasn't one but the mind will fill in the rest :)

Congratulations Tim, looks just right!

As well as agreeing with other comments, I especially like the effects you have managed with the wheels and motion. They look just as all the colour photos of 60's Duchesses seem to portray. Ideal mix of oily, dirty and "alive".

I guess you have to redo all, or at least some of, that when you regauge?

Iain

Sadly, yes. The flip side of it is that if I've not been terribly satisfied with the effect on previously weathered locos, I get a second chance at it. I've only got two more Black Fives to which that applies to deal with, which is probably just as well!

It's just fine talc stippled in with the paint mix.

Nice work on the Duchess, you've captured the weathered red very effectively.

Ah ha - I shall give that a go, most likely on the 8Fs :). Might also do some texture work on the Brit featured earlier. It's gone back into the works for completion of the other side (can you see a pattern already? mocking_mini.gif)

Cheers all!

It's gone back into the works for completion of the other side (can you see a pattern already? mocking_mini.gif)

Having operated Auchinraith with you a couple of times, I'd spotted that pattern a long time ago! :lol:

• Like 1

Having operated Auchinraith with you a couple of times, I'd spotted that pattern a long time ago! :lol:

Ah good, thought you would ;). As an aside, one of the EMUs is due some repair to the paintwork as it's showing signs of wanting to peel off. sad.gif

Just don't bother adding an emblem - there's a danger the thickness of the transfer (even Pressfix or Methfix) could show through.

Do you remember that 9F I did? It's owner was impressed by how you could hardly see the badge on the tender - there wasn't one but the mind will fill in the rest :)

Good point...... The tender has a printed one on it anyway, which is probably just as well! It'll vanish........cool.gif

Good point...... The tender has a printed one on it anyway, which is probably just as well! It'll vanish........cool.gif

Just get rid, it's easier! :lol:

I play similar mind games when lining the tender chassis on NER tenders; only line the obvious bits. Once it has a coat of grime you'll still be able to see the bits on things like axle boxes and springs but your mind will assume the rest is there beneath the dirt and accept it!

Somehow, I forgot the photo of my chosen 8F was online...... rolleyes.gif

Anyway, here is what I'm aiming for from the 6G website - taken in mid-late August 1961 by Chris Evans. As you can see, it's caked in it.

ce0009640.jpg

My starting point pre-weathering is below:

post-6712-0-92265600-1300038733_thumb.jpg

Wheels, bufferheads and crossheads have been given a base coat of satin black, drain cocks fitted and the pony truck given a serious "haircut" with a hacksaw+dremel. Also thinned the cab roof as it is horrendously thick - left over from the 1980s body tooling is would appear.

More anon when I get round to doing this one!

• Like 1

Guest LNER Tom

cracking shot of 46256 on Llandudno :)

I noticed something I haven't really been doing, streaking down the smoke box door front, will do a bit of that on the K3....microsol would work on that wouldn't it?

Good point Tom! I dare say one can...... What I have sometimes done is use some butanone or slightly less fiery liquid cement to "crack" the paint where the real stuff has had rust try bubbling up from underneath. It's very hit or miss though, from my experience. Not usually found on smokebox doors though, except much nearer the end of steam.

Definitely worth using gouache for such things though. The black and white tubes are great for that, with hints of the rustier shades to tone as required. :)

Cheers,

Tim,

if you don't mind a question, what's the source of the lamps on the Duchess?

I'm using Springside with the jewels prised out and binned, but I note yours have lenses without being way too OTT like the jewels.

Tim,

if you don't mind a question, what's the source of the lamps on the Duchess?

I'm using Springside with the jewels prised out and binned, but I note yours have lenses without being way too OTT like the jewels.

Hi Jamie,

Sure - they're the extremely-hard-to-come-by Kenline ones. I'd give my right arm to get a load more of these as they are probably the best LMS/BR loco lamp I've ever seen and used.

I'll probably upgrade my remaining Springside ones to take optics, though I'm still hunting for more Kenline ones....... rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Argh!

Thanks anyway B)

Saying that, I'll be interested to see how you've modified the Springside ones......

As aside (open to all reading here), what became of Kenline in the end? unsure.gif

Cheers,

Saying that, I'll be interested to see how you've modified the Springside ones......

Excuse me muscling in with my pic on your thread:

post-6670-0-83329800-1300467056_thumb.jpg

White ones still look oh-so-crude, black ones not so bad. Still better than nowt IMO.

Without the jewel they no longer catch one's eye from the other side of the room. The bare whitemetal dish is sufficient.

Hey Tim,

Just stumbled upon your thread here. HTFRU...? Been awhile since we last said hi. Thought you had got away from the toy trains. :P

Looking at your images I like what I see. But you know me and all these 'atta boys' and 'back slaps you're getting I guess its left to me to slap you around a bit. :aggressive_mini: I mean, someones gottta say it. You know I'm a bit of a stickler for the rivets and rust patches and I noticed those thick smoke deflectors on that Duchess of yours, couldn't you have taken a file and carefully filed a very light chamfer off the front edges of the smoke deflectors to help my eyes and reduce the pain they caused. :crazy_mini: You certainly have the weathering skills to make them look a tad thinner - right. :biggrin_mini2:

Hope to see meet up with you again sometime, meanwhile, take care. :tongue2:

Tone

• Like 1

Excuse me muscling in with my pic on your thread

Oh not at all matey - certainly see what you mean about the lamps though. Perhaps this is the wrong forum board to make mention of it, but I've long wondered about making a new loop from fine wire and adding it to the Springside ones to see if they can enhance the effect or not. Painting them is another game altogether. Oily rear with a greeny-yellow tinge.

Meantime, I've been working on that Brit shown earlier...... cool.gif Pics later if there's still enough light to play with.unsure.gif

Cheers,

Hiya there Tone,

Hey Tim,

Just stumbled upon your thread here. HTFRU...? Been awhile since we last said hi. Thought you had got away from the toy trains. :P

Long time indeed! I'm guessing you'll not be at Nottingham? Maybe see you at Ally Pally? If not, there's always Warley! laugh.gif

Looking at your images I like what I see. But you know me and all these 'atta boys' and 'back slaps you're getting I guess its left to me to slap you around a bit. :aggressive_mini: I mean, someones gottta say it. You know I'm a bit of a stickler for the rivets and rust patches and I noticed those thick smoke deflectors on that Duchess of yours, couldn't you have taken a file and carefully filed a very light chamfer off the front edges of the smoke deflectors to help my eyes and reduce the pain they caused. :crazy_mini: You certainly have the weathering skills to make them look a tad thinner - right. :biggrin_mini2:

Yes, that's a very good point well made there. Might also sort them on the Brit that's OMWB right now. A few strokes with a #25 blade might just do it....... ;)

Cheers,

Quick update time....

I'll get some better pics taken after the weekend (if the sun plays ball) but here's a shot of the Brit to whet the appetite..... The lagged pipe for the injector seems to have come out better than I expected. Acrylic white (Vallejo) left to dry and then stippled/dry-brushed with some dirty enamels.

post-6712-0-40029900-1300476515_thumb.jpg

Quick one also for Tone - I think this improves the look a little?

post-6712-0-28450800-1300476554_thumb.jpg

Took a bit of work to get it right without showing where the join was - all gone nicely. I'll see what the big light in the sky does on Monday (as per the Brit)........

Cheers,

• Like 3

Quick update time...

Quick one also for Tone - I think this improves the look a little?

Took a bit of work to get it right without showing where the join was - all gone nicely. I'll see what the big light in the sky does on Monday (as per the Brit)........

Cheers,

Wow, don't it just improve it, good job there Tim, made world of difference.

I'll be at Ally Pally with Vine Yard. See you there.

Cheers, Tone

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim, nice work on the Brittania and of course the Duchess (don't want to hurt her feelings!;) ). Re the musings on lamps I added a piece of thin wire to a springside casting and created a lens from Krystal Klear adding a black dot behund before applying the KK with a cocktail stick. The lamp is on my 9F (pic on my thread but I can't remember whether you can see it or not) the wire was from some multicore flex I think and fitted into a hole drilled right through the body. It works but it's a bit fiddly :blink: . Cheers Phil.

Wow, don't it just improve it, good job there Tim, made world of difference.

I'll be at Ally Pally with Vine Yard. See you there.

Cheers, Tone

Thanks Tone. I'll be on Clutton on the Saturday and on the MRC demos for the Sunday. Should have a brace of Black Fives and the pair of Pacifics for a weathering and modifying demo. Don't need much with me - less is more! laugh.gif

Hi Tim, nice work on the Brittania and of course the Duchess (don't want to hurt her feelings!;) ). Re the musings on lamps I added a piece of thin wire to a springside casting and created a lens from Krystal Klear adding a black dot behund before applying the KK with a cocktail stick. The lamp is on my 9F (pic on my thread but I can't remember whether you can see it or not) the wire was from some multicore flex I think and fitted into a hole drilled right through the body. It works but it's a bit fiddly :blink: . Cheers Phil.

Ta Phil. I think I'll start a new topic in Hints and Tips for the lamps and see who else bites. Be good to see how you've done yours.

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim, heres a cruel close up, I'm going to use thinner wire next time :( it looks better in the flesh, the handl is finer than the cast original . However the lens shows up quite well, the KK absorbed the ink dot I placed inthe centre of the lens hole and that was the result, an accident, as I was trying to represent the hole in the reflector where the flame shone through with a small dot of ink!! I'm going to try a strand of copper wire from some multicore stuff I used to wire the layout, pretty fine. Will look out for new post on lamps.

post-10896-0-47394800-1300483932_thumb.jpg

Cheers Phil.