Tim's painting and weathering workbench

Time I updated this one, thanks to some gorgeous sunlight this afternoon.

Arrow first - normal 3/4 shot plus a track level one from next to the tender looking to the front. It looks quite a bit bigger than it really is! blink.gif I've used some white gouache for the water streaks this time and I'm much happier with the effect. Hard to think this one is portrayed in summer 1961 condition......

post-6712-0-15116000-1300893697_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-96070900-1300893735_thumb.jpg

Final one of Sir William for now - similar view to the above shot of the Brit. All I need now is a shed-type diorama or backdrop to put in these shots......

post-6712-0-68932400-1300893664_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Guest LNER Tom

Defitinitely worth a + from me ;)

Cracking pictures, the Brit looks fantastic, the sunlight certainly brings the detail out. I love the attempt to clean the cabside number by the crew!

Simply superb!

Hi Tim. Some lovely and very interesting work on this thread! It's great to see the Brit so filthy you can barely tell that it's green, makes me itching to do mine but I mustn't get too distracted, besides, finally I'm finishing-off my Black 5 using some similar methods to these you're demonstrating here (now that my airbrush has packed-up :angry:!).

On the loco below, you've managed to achieve an absolutely perfect colour along the middle of the boiler – between handrail and steam pipe – with just the mearest hint of rusty red. Do you have a formula for that mix? Mine's looking very grey at the mo – also, whilst weathering it I've realised that adding any colouring makes the gap between boiler and footplate on Hornby's model more noticeable. :(

post-6712-0-69558000-1299082521_thumb.jpg

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your kind comments on the Brit - I think it's come out rather well if I say so myself!

As for 45275, yes, that's low sunlight catching the metalcote gunmetal in the way that it should do. My usual mix is matt black, matt leather and the gunmetal. Shade varies depending on what bit I'm doing, so there's no hard and fast rule in force. As it is, I still need to tweak that model a bit more as it's not come out as well as 44800 did. I've since got some new Humbrol 33, so that might have something to do with it! laugh.gif

I'll be looking forward to seeing your finished 44890 though - it's been a while since any activity on it! mellow.gif

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Hi Tim

Is your duchess a Hornby one? What are your thoughts on it? I always said if brass masters ever did a duchess it would be the only steam loco I would ever build.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Tim

Is your duchess a Hornby one? What are your thoughts on it? I always said if brass masters ever did a duchess it would be the only steam loco I would ever build.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, it is the Hornby one. Although not perfect (it's one of the older "super detail" models), it can detail up quite nicely to a reasonably good model. The drawback for me is that it doesn't quite hold it now against things like the Britannia and Royal Scot/Patriot. The same goes for the Black Five and 8F, though they're cannon fodder - rather akin to Phil E and his DMUs ;)

It's a shame Martin Finney never scaled down the 7mm Duchess to 4mm. That was a work of art!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Slight bit of inactivity on my part, but the weather's been too good to miss out on!

Anyway, by way of an update, here's a work-in-progress of my current weathering project. I've been meaning to crack on with one of these, so here goes. The bodies are "in works", so they'll get reunited once everything is touch-dry.

In the words of Rolf Harris, can you tell what it is yet? laugh.gif

post-6712-0-67572700-1302194182_thumb.jpg

White gouache again used for the limescale streaks on the cylinders, as per a photograph I have - the whole loco is horrifically dirty for early 1960s. It seems to mix in white happily with enamels while they're still slightly tacky, which it different to how I've used it in the past. Seems to have worked anyhow!

Powders are next and then a spot of dry-brushing around the firebox+ashpan area.

More anon!

Update....!

Missed the sun by about 10 mins, but this will do for now. Once everything is fully dry, I'll deal with a few other dry-brushed areas, plus adding lamps (class G position, hence lack of middle lamp-iron).

post-6712-0-43524400-1302201594_thumb.jpg

The sun beckons for tomorrow methinks....... cool.gif

• Like 1

Guest LNER Tom

Honestly Tim, that has to be possibly the finest bit of weathering I've seen. The body work looks well and truly dirty...but the wheels have that lovely oily look.

Bravo mate.....I hope your bringing this loco on Tuesday ;)

• Like 1

Honestly Tim, that has to be possibly the finest bit of weathering I've seen. The body work looks well and truly dirty...but the wheels have that lovely oily look.

Bravo mate.....I hope your bringing this loco on Tuesday ;)

Thankyou kind sir! Yes, I shall be bringing it, along with one or two others if the weather plays ball..... ;)

btw, how is the limescale effect done...one of the best effects of it done on a model loco :)

Ah yes, this was a bit of experiment that went right. Several-stage process of some white gouache, followed by some dry-brushed matt leather (neat), some more gouache (washed lightly) and then MIG Europe Dust lightly brushed across (most of it removed to leave just a trace).

Several ways of skinning that cat here to be honest. Each loco behaves differently anyway, which includes how it's been driven and also the water (hard or soft). Also, if it was due to go into works for an overhaul, then certain things would have leaked more than others!

Now for the other two 4MTs I have..... ;) Personally, I think it clears the Bachmann v Hornby debate on which 4MT looks better once and for all - Hornby's version and by quite a margin! *tongue firmly in cheek* tongue.gif

Very nice. I don't normally go in for steam loco's but I have a bit of a soft spot for late BR ones. Here's to seconding the sun request for tomorrow, kids at school, wife at work and me with a day off. Going fishing in the morning and a date with the work bench in the afternoon.

Regards Paul

Very nice. I don't normally go in for steam loco's but I have a bit of a soft spot for late BR ones. Here's to seconding the sun request for tomorrow, kids at school, wife at work and me with a day off. Going fishing in the morning and a date with the work bench in the afternoon.

Regards Paul

Thanks Paul :). According to the Beeb, it looks like it'll be excellent for a few days yet, which bodes very well for getting the camera out!

There's something about the "not quite the end of steam" look when diesels were only very new..... Can't quite put my finger on it! laugh.gif

Cheers,

Sun played ball cool.gifcool.gif

Final fettling to the tender axleboxes with some black and burnt umber gouache and she's done. I'm well and truly sold on the Hornby 4MT now. biggrin.gif

post-6712-0-81535500-1302278882_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-63378900-1302278935_thumb.jpg

Plus a broadside shot of the driver's side.

post-6712-0-86245800-1302278970_thumb.jpg

I might just make the shedplate a tad clearer on the smokebox, but otherwise, she's a finished item (lamps aside).

Cheers,

• Like 6

75013 looks cracking now, the extra bit of work with the gouache has paid dividends, oh and a bit of sun B) . A nice filthy end of steam loco-right up my street, cheers Phil.

Mmmm, it did before anyway! rolleyes.gifwink.gif Still, the end of steam for this one was another 6-7 years to go. It was rather cleaner the following year in 1962 when it got reallocated to Bletchley from Mold Jct. There are two photos on Colour Rail's site (you'd need to pay to see them bigger than thumbnails!), one of which is on a wiring train at Ashton.

Ta,

Edited by Tim

As usual Tim - fantastic work and thanks for sharing your inspiration with us.

All of those locos look so realistic.

As for Jim's comment about Sir Bill - a Duchess being the only steam he'd model - Jim, you need a 9F. I was talking to a colleague who started his career at Oxley in 1965. He says they were working a ballast back from Kings Norton via Camp Hill to Oxley when they were stopped at Monument Lane and scolded for not telling the bobby their power was a 9F. That was 1965 or 1966 after New St was declared a steam free zone !!!

• Like 1

Very nice indeed, well done sir. My sister used to live at Watford with a garden backing onto the railway. I was much younger than her and can rember when I was nowt but a nipper standing at the bottom of her garden and watching Sir WAS steaming past. I always thought it looked magnificent.

Regards

Roger

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mmmm, it did before anyway! rolleyes.gifwink.gif Still, the end of steam for this one was another 6-7 years to go. It was rather cleaner the following year in 1962 when it got reallocated to Bletchley from Mold Jct. A photo of it exists *somewhere* on the 'net on some wiring trains in the Cheddington area....

Ta,

No offence meant Tim, I was referring to when she was bodyless :rolleyes: , but the finishing touches do send her to the top drawer ;) . Phil.

Well it's OK I suppose - better than some of the rubbish you posted at the start of the thread... Good to see people encouraging you all the same though...

Seriously though I really the 4MT - though I never think they were the best looking loco, the front end always looks a little awkward to me. But in model form still nice :) I really like the colours you've used. I know 'end of steam' but a number of locos did end up like this before then and most modellers aren't brave enough to use the lighter colours to replicate this. Either that or the thousands of B&W images have successfully hidden these shades! Locos always look dirtier in colour views.

Really like it :)

Well it's OK I suppose - better than some of the rubbish you posted at the start of the thread... Good to see people encouraging you all the same though...

LOL!laugh_mini.gif Well, you know how it is when the sun eventually comes out ;) :P

Seriously though I really the 4MT - though I never think they were the best looking loco, the front end always looks a little awkward to me. But in model form still nice :) I really like the colours you've used. I know 'end of steam' but a number of locos did end up like this before then and most modellers aren't brave enough to use the lighter colours to replicate this. Either that or the thousands of B&W images have successfully hidden these shades! Locos always look dirtier in colour views.

Really like it :)

Thanks mate! Yes, I've always yearned for colour versions of countless images, only to find they're really quite dusty.

A prime example is a shot of 71000 at Colwyn Bay in April 1961 - the b/w shot in one book shows it to be pretty grubby, so you'd expect it to be mucky grey. Far from it - the Colour Rail image in BR Standard Pacifics (P Swinger) is horrifically beige and covered in road dirt. Certainly goes to show! laugh.gif

Cheers,

Update on proceedings:

After much procrastination, the first of my two EM'd 8Fs in my fleet (there are currently 6). I've given 48175 a bit of a facelift in the weathering department, having been weathered about 7 years ago. Times change, as do tastes.

post-6712-0-65849100-1303138091_thumb.jpg

Thanks to a superb little tip picked up on Gordon S's 9F topic here, I've put it to use and it really does work an absolute treat! biggrin.gif Thankyou Gordon! good_mini.gif

post-6712-0-02640300-1303138183_thumb.jpg

I've used a slightly different trick on this model with the staining on the boiler. White gouache, thinned, painted in streaks along the entire length from halfway along the smokebox to the cab. The powders are added afterwards to tone it down. Typical 6B condition for a "big 8". I have a feeling cleaners weren't really there, it being a freight shed.

If anyone wants me to detail the modifications I've done to the model (of which there are a few), don't hesitate to ask!! laugh.gif

Thanks Tim, amazing pics. you have fired up my thoughts for weathering once time will allow.

Thanks! Glad to have been of help :). Look forward to seeing some of your results on the forum!

Cheers,

• Like 3