Tim's painting and weathering workbench

Very nice indeed Tim. The blue really does show up the dirt doesn't it?

Yes, you're right about that! I haven't a clue how it manages it, but the same effect seems to be present on 46256 as well when posed in bright autumn sunlight. I guess we'll see what it looks like on Monday on some stock ;)

All that is needed now for absolute prototype accuracy is a "not to be moved" target on the nearside lamp iron. :devil: :laugh:

:jester: :jester:

A quick diversion from steam era projects for the moment. This past week has seen a long term inmate of my "to-do" pile given its repaint into CE Dutch livery. Fresh from masking removal, here is 37170. Transrail decals (Fox) await it, plus my usual bufferbeam detail as per my rather numerous Bachmann 37 fleet. There will also be new bogie sideframes to correctly portray the cast Deltic type of frame that this one carried.

post-6712-0-74244800-1319298087_thumb.jpg

Bodyside grilles are yet to be given their executive dark grey paint and I need to dig out a pack of Hornby class 31 buffers.

I'll say this much though - it's nice to have a change once in a while! :)

Nice repaint Tim. What did you use for the cantrail lining?

Thanks Guy. I've actually retained (for now) the original lining. To save me a lot of time and paint, it was a mask-up of a 37239 donor model to retain the roof, cantrail (parts of) and black areas on cab and bonnets. I got fed up waiting for a dutch centre-box model to appear as a general release as I wanted one now rather than some far-off time in the distant future.

I'm probably going to mask off what's there now and paint the line in by hand as the original isn't orange enough for my liking.....

Cheers,

Nice job Tim, are you going to do anything with the windscreens on this one? Was going to do my Dutch splitter but not sure how much it will show through the black paint.

Cheers

Hi Wayne,

I've thought about it and to be honest, I'd have to alter the entire fleet if I did. It's alright on one or two, but on well over a dozen, it soon adds up and involves paint matching (thinking of 37403 here).

Time may tell though!

Cheers,

Hi Wayne,

I've thought about it and to be honest, I'd have to alter the entire fleet if I did. It's alright on one or two, but on well over a dozen, it soon adds up and involves paint matching (thinking of 37403 here).

Time may tell though!

Cheers,

Hi Tim,

Thats true. It's also the reason why I decided against it, also having close to half a dozen 37s (not all in traffic) to fit it would indeed be quite an expense.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since this got updated (I blame work!). Latest off the workbench is a long term resident of my "to do" pile - one of Mold Junction's "Crabs", 42772. Base model is Bachmann and has had scale wheels fitted (Gibson) that are both the right size and profile. I've also made a new front numberplate that is better looking than the rather oversized thing it comes with.

post-6712-0-21175900-1329654779_thumb.jpg

I've used the airbrush on this one almost entirely, though a reasonable amount of MIG powder work has been done too. The end result is a fairly pleasing loco displaying the hallmarks of almost never having been cleaned (6B didn't have cleaners during the summer months). I will admit I'm a big fan of a "working loco" rather than some museum pice or even a slightly grubby loco.

post-6712-0-07102900-1329655269_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-11154400-1329655292_thumb.jpg

Next up will more than likely be one of 6B's Black Fives. Not sure when though!

Edited by Tim
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

The first of two Hornby B1s for Peterborough North. This one is 61098 of Immingham (40B) shed. Having worked from a prototype image of this one, the thing that became clear to me was that it was very much a "cared-for" loco. It also had some rather prominent embellishments, which makes me wonder if it was the depot "pet".

post-6712-0-76433300-1331828156_thumb.jpg

The first thing done to this one was giving the areas that mattered a couple of coats of Johnson's Klear. A nice big flat brush does the trick (in my case, a number 8 flat hobby brush from Humbrol). The rest is just airbrushing of gunmetal/leather mix where needed and removed as required. I think this one required around 4-5 goes at it to build up the desired effect of a groomed loco.

post-6712-0-71931700-1331828175_thumb.jpg

I'll be sorting out the Klear on the motion and then whatever MIG powders that take my fancy on it later.

Next up is New England's 61282.......

Edited by Tim
  • Like 8

And so to the second B1:

This one is a little grubbier than 61098. It's a bit more of a work-in-progress as there are areas I'll be doing some dry-brushing and powder application to, but it'll do for a quick pair of shots.

This one only required a single coat of Klear to prevent the lining being damaged by repeated streaking with neat white spirit, but I'm happy with things thus far.

post-6712-0-30338500-1331828920_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-31628500-1331828995_thumb.jpg

All that remains to be done afterwards is delivery to their (hopefully satisfied) owner this weekend. I may get a chance to do another shot of 61282 after powder application, but we shall see how time goes....

• Like 6

61098, did you change the tender crest? have Hornby done that shape B1 with the late crest?

I knew I'd forgotten to mention that bit! :rolleyes: Yes, it's a new crest (HMRS). My preferred method is Microsol and just let time do the rest. Takes about 20 mins to do the full tender without leaving any marks behind.

looks great, I like the weathering of the tender chassis but cleanish tender sides, something ive seen on quite a few pics.

Im after one of these soon, no hurry just yet, I do prefer them with the later crest, easy to change but might just wait till they bring it out on lower front numberplate version, or maybe swap with someone who bought the high numberplate version,

Mike

• Like 1

Im after one of these soon, no hurry just yet, I do prefer them with the later crest, easy to change but might just wait till they bring it out on lower front numberplate version, or maybe swap with someone who bought the high numberplate version,

Mike

You'll be wanting the one Hornby have in their 2012 plans then. 61270 is just that machine. Whether it has a different smokebox door is another matter entirely. We'll find out sooner or later! Either way, having weathered three of these now, it would be nice to have one of my own sometime or other.... :)

Cheers,

I dont recall ever seeing a pucker smokebox plate typical of the style fitted to 'Crabs'. The numerals should be very sidely spaced.

post-6680-0-20120200-1331841349.jpg

It's rather difficult to find a suitable set of transfers for Crabs these days. That one on 42772 was done a while back, though I might revisit it if I can source suitable numbers! As it is, the original numberplate was so wafer thin, not to mention too long/tall.

I'll have a thunk ;)

I use Modelmaster smokebox number transfer sheets and make up plates as required spacing the characters as per the real thing. Then I float Decalset on them then varnish. I prefer them to etched plates seeing as real numberplates were black and white. Nickel silver/brass and black never seem to cut it.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Ta for that Larry. I shall give that a go for my next two (42932+42853) and maybe even revisit 42772. I'm pretty sure that none of mine require the rarer block font on their numberplates though.

Cheers, :)

Regarding etched number plates, paint with enamel white, leave to dry thoroughly.

Float on acrylic or thinner enamel black, when still wet, turn and rub off the black from the numbers on cartridge paper.

Works for me.

Same trick works on nameplates if you have to re-do the colour, Just spray/paint as normal, then buff up the brass etc on VERY fine wet-or-dry.

Regarding etched number plates, paint with enamel white, leave to dry thoroughly.

Float on acrylic or thinner enamel black, when still wet, turn and rub off the black from the numbers on cartridge paper.

Works for me.

Same trick works on nameplates if you have to re-do the colour, Just spray/paint as normal, then buff up the brass etc on VERY fine wet-or-dry.

You know, I've tried this (or similar) in the past and never had much of a degree of success. Perhaps I might give it another go and see how I get on :)

Cheers for that Jeff.