NCB Brakevans

I have found another photo of a different brake van for cannock and Rugeley Coll. This time it looks like an ex LNWR 10 ton brake van.post-20690-0-59883300-1517070439_thumb.jpg If it is then London Rd Models do a kit for this vehicle.

The second photo is from the Philadelphia system but I know nothing of the prototype.

post-20690-0-63296600-1517070528.jpg

David

• Like 6

The second photo is from the Philadelphia system but I know nothing of the prototype.

attachicon.gifPhiladelphia Colliery.jpg

Pretty certain that's Ashington. It's certainly a Northumberland Area running number & Ashington type rear Target. Ex GNR  now at Tanfield if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Isn't that the one that went to the NYMR http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e3f0e4e29 Its been discussed before, but I don't remember if it was on here.

Paul

Could be but there was/is this one at Tanfield.

3845993567_61e2bfc21d_z.jpg?zz=12009_0822_154153 by John Ireland, on Flickr

There was at least one Brake van lost to fire but I think that was a 1/507 BR Brake. 

P

• Like 3

Could be but there was/is this one at Tanfield.

3845993567_61e2bfc21d_z.jpg?zz=12009_0822_154153 by John Ireland, on Flickr

There was at least one Brake van lost to fire but I think that was a 1/507 BR Brake. 

P

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94234-gnr-8-wheeled-brake-van-no23791/

A photo of the 8 wheel brake van at Tanfield is here (6th photo from the top);

https://tanfield-railway.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/shunting-saturday-456-move-pt2.html

There was a burnt-out brake van in the sidings at Marley Hill when I visited a while ago and it looked like a BR-type. Got a photo somewhere I think...

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

• RMweb Gold

If someone was to point me to a supplier for the axle boxes and springs, MJT maybe and buffers this would speed things up. Something I can quietly draw up in the evening on the computer. In theory some elements from my LT may well lend a hand in the design to speed things up.

• RMweb Gold

If someone was to point me to a supplier for the axle boxes and springs, MJT maybe and buffers this would speed things up. Something I can quietly draw up in the evening on the computer. In theory some elements from my LT may well lend a hand in the design to speed things up.

Hi Robert,

I think that Wizard may have both the axleboxes and springs.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/product-category/wagons/?filter_2_railway_company=ner-north-eastern-railway

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Waterside system owned by the Dalmellington Iron Company had running powers over a section of the Ayr-Dalmellington railway in GSWR/LMS days and used a brake van. However in NCB days these running powers were not required and the Waterside network became completely internal user and no brake vans were required. As the gradient from the collieries to the washer was "with the load", brakes were pinned down on the wagons next to the loco.

• 2 weeks later...

On my thread The Lillershall Co, PGH of this Parish posted photos of the 2 ex Cannock and Rugeley Colliery Brake vans that were used at Grabville Colliery (ex Lilleshall Co) which I am re posting on this thread.

One of these vans is now at Thee Telford Trust site.

Granville Brake Van 1.jpg

Brake Van No 2.jpg

Brake Van No 2 2.jpg

I dont know the origin of these vehicles or when they arrived at Granville.

David

Like the look of these. Might have a bash at scratch building the top one - perfect brake for a micro shunting puzzle.

Like the look of these. Might have a bash at scratch building the top one - perfect brake for a micro shunting puzzle.

If you want a small and unusual BV then how about one of these?  Dragon Models Rhymney Rlwy slightly modified and shorter than a wagon..  It's now painted in my 'corporate blue' to match all the other oddball BV's that I have.  I really should take a group portrait of them!

post-807-0-90500100-1526987700_thumb.jpg

What's the collective term for a group of BV's?  A 'Retardation'?

• Like 10

5050, Does the chimney come down and back up when passing though tunnels and bridges like the coach in the titfield thunderbolt? :)

No, but someone has taken a hacksaw to it since the photo was taken.  If I find out who it was I'll be very very angry! :punish:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

PGH, sorry I was in a bit of a rush so I did not re read the thread, just copied over the photos without re reading the data that went with the photos.

Given the fact that the Brake vans were built by the CRC little chance of a kit then!

David

Hi All.

An update on CRC no2 at Telford Steam Railway. She is mine and has had extensive work carried out over the last few years including new roof timbers, side timbers and is about to receive about half of a new chassis rail. This latter work is having to be carried out by a contractor due to the work involved. Once complete, she should have a new canvass roof and be repainted into a pseudo CRC livery, but carrying her number and the CRC lettering.

On the subject of NCB brakevans, the September 2018 issue of Railway Bylines has a photograph of an NCB brake van at Gartshore Colliery, taken on 11 March 1967.

The notes writer (the Clydesider) is asking about the parentage of this van, which has 'NCB No. 1' in white on the side.

For anybody interested, the photo is in an article called 'Scottish Miscellany' on page 486.

Stephen