London Festival of Railway Modeling 2011

Redkiterail

Went to the show today, and was a good boy by walking up the hill from the railway station. Managed to grab 3 Castle Cement JPAs at a reasonable price.

Widnes looked good, though I agree it looks a lot bigger in the mags. Apethorne impressed, maybe I should go O?

Walked around the exhibition twice before finding any Kadees (Thanks Charlie!) or smiths instanters.

The soap dodgers were about too. Oh and I couldn't go home without being assaulted by a rucksack!

I usually go on the Saturday, but it seems a lot quieter on a Sunday so maybe that will be the day of choice in the future.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I went today with eldavo - had a very good time, Dave is good company and we usually find something to laugh about (usually me...) Renewed acquaintance with Brian Daniels and his amazing O gauge diesels and rolling stock - had a nice chat with him, Brian is one of the good guys who is well worth spending time with. Met the mighty beast6606 as well who prior to this I've only had 'discussions' with on RMweb, I enjoyed my chat with him too.

I enjoy exhibitions and days out anyway, so really don't have any criticisms. Good layouts, plenty of variety and to top it all one of the box shifters selling all their US ho stock at half price. Out of my price range Cornerstone buildings suddenly became eminently affordable - as eldavo always says it would have been rude to leave them there!

Another of the very interesting items at Ally Pally yesterday was the 3D printing stand, where they were 'printing' a 2Bil during the show and had others on show. Very nice they looked too!

I enquired about pricing and felt the pricing was pretty reasonable really considering the outcome and effort (incidentaly it was £50 for the cad-work, £70 per carriage for said 2-Bil unit, if you can do CAD work then you can possibly save the £50 though). Might be worthwhile a group of people clubbing together for wanted items that other manufactuers don't/can't/won't do?

Kelly

I went on Saturday and to be honest, i thought it was less busy than last year.

Interestingly, I arrived slightly later , around 1100 ( prebooked) and walked straight in, no queueing.

I didn't find the layouts as interesting as 2010, but there was enough to see and demonstrators were as friendly as ever.

I enjoyed seeing Totnes and Happesburgh, but some of the others mentioned were also interesting to see.

In terms of shopping, found pretty much everything on my list ( and more!), so left happy enough though with a lighter wallet.

As has been described, the venue is superb and I do like visiting the AP.

Food? Saw the size of the chicken curry ( £6.50) and so shared one portion with a mate - still a generous portion. With tea not extortionate; not for a premium venue like this anyway.

Nice to see some familiar faces too.

Chris

Hello :)

I was there on the Saturday too, mainly on the 2mm SA stand doing a demo but I also had time to have a look around. I would like to echo the comments above and say that although it didnt seem as crowded it was another great show. I have been going to this show now for a few years and its one on my calender I dont like to miss, the venue, facilities, and food are always great (I always look forward to the meals there!). Once again it was fantastic to meet up with nice people from RMWeb land (Chrislock, ChrisF, Kempenfelt, TomJ, and Scale7JB to name some) plus I also managed to get everything (and more) on my shopping list, bonus!

Looking forward to next years show...

Missy :)

Evening all,

Just to give my thoughts on my visit yesterday. My father and I went yesterday for our first large exhibition, let alone the Ally Pally.

It was an enjoyable day. I liked the atmosphere, although we always managed to find the one fella who hadn't had a shower in a few weeks when standing near the layouts, but hey, I had a cold anyway so barely smelt it ;) Anyway, that's not the fault of the exhibition, which I thought was very well organised. Plenty of trade stands and nice layouts with a good variety, including the foreign ones - Fleminsbourg, I think it was called, was a very interesting American layout with two different gauges featured. Appledore was interesting too, anything with a mass variety of Bulleid Pacifics will get my attention! My two favourites were, funnily enough for me being a OO gauge fan, two O gauge layouts - Penpoll Quay, a lovely, quaint WR quayside shunting yard with Praries, Pannier Tanks and 08s trundling up and down, and the aforementioned Apethorn Junction. Whoever said it was like real trainspotting was completly right - it was the only layout for me that really made me interested to see what would come through next, which others couldn't claim.

That's not a critisicm of the other layouts, but Apethorn had a nice mix of operating interest, with stopping DMUs, van and freight trains being shunted in sidings, and express trains going through at speed. Huge variety of locos, from steam tank engines to diesels, including the famous BR Green Class 40 (40106) and a personal favourite of mine, a BR Large Logo Class 50 (50021 Rodney). Really nice variety, the scenery was excellent, the attention to detail brilliant, and the sound/smoke effects on the locos just topped it off. Hearing the 50 give a two-tone horn through the station, and the class 47 clagging furiously out of the sidings, or a rusty old Standard 3 Tank (I think) chuffing through, gave a lovely touch of atmosphere and escapism to the layout which I enjoyed.

Same with Penpoll, which was atmospheric and quaint. Tank engines quietly trundling around and shunting wagons peacefully, seagulls fluttering on the walls, a random window cleaner, a shunter standing around in the yard - it oozed atmosphere and immersion. This was also true of all the good layouts of the day - a good layout was escapist, and immersive. Happisburgh was impressive and charming, and I was pleased to catch it on (what I believe was)it's last outing. Cluxton was great too, with it's wealth of scenery and rolling hills, as well as Crewlisle, which resembled a big train set with all sorts of trains running constantly and providing lots of detail and operational interest. Lots of great layouts, and others less so, but hey, it's my personal opinion, so I'm not going to throw stones at someone else's hard work - unlike the chap who thought he had a right to bold-facedly tell one of the guys on Penpoll Quay the supposed multitiude of errors on one of his kit-build Pannier tanks. Fortunatly, there wern't many of these kind of rude rivet-fachists around, and the day was largely a friendly one. A lot of the operators were open to chat, and we ended up in a lengthy chat with the operators of Penpoll, with both being happy to show us their locos and give my father, an O gauge modeller, a wealth of advice and info on the subject.

The trade stands were a mixed bag - a lot were selling used stuff for what I believed was too-high prices, but there were a few strong stands, and I came away with a shiny new Hornby Merchant Navy (35026 Lamport and Holt Line) loco for under £100, which considering I saw it everywhere else for £120+, I thought was a pretty good bargain! I hardly had heapfuls of money anyway, but I could have spent a lot more had I been inclined (or had the necessary funds!).

Tonnes of inspiration, and an enjoyable day overall.

Finally home at 7:30pm, having taken Tony home with his layout and the German Railway Society stand. Drove home with the lighting rig and my purchases: Slaters 7mm wagon wheels, HMRS 7mm transfers for pre-grouping Southerm railways, a tin of Solder paint, a Parkside 4mm BR standard van with Red Panda underframe and a book ( LNWR wagons vol 2 from Wild Swan). Oh and two mugs off our stand. Eclectic?

One question. Why was the Finsbury Park area full of Scotsmen in kilts?

Comment about disability scooters. One idiot drove in behind our stand, tried to do a three point turn and ended up wedged on top of our electrics. And no, he sodding well wouldn't get off so that we could lift the scooter off the extension lead. He had to be bodily lifted off. Idiot.

Tony now has to find out why a point motor failed before Winkelhof's next outing in a fortnight at the East Grinstead show.

Bill

Some photos :

Mychett Green (LCC trams) - with some very rare stuff - an M class , and an LCC trailer

post-80-0-88191200-1301262805_thumb.jpg
post-80-0-93422600-1301262899_thumb.jpg

Apethorne Jnc , demonstrating that I can't take lineside photos....
post-80-0-75024900-1301262941_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-91160800-1301263010_thumb.jpg
Bawdsey , with some exceptionally fine structure work:
post-80-0-49010700-1301263090_thumb.jpg
post-80-0-12665800-1301263125_thumb.jpg

An American gauge O layout, something Jnc:
post-80-0-25185300-1301263195_thumb.jpg

NBR in the snow (P4), with alien life forms from HG Wells
post-80-0-14352500-1301263345_thumb.jpg

Clutton
post-80-0-23575700-1301263381_thumb.jpg
Impressionism at Crown St
post-80-0-06998100-1301263471_thumb.jpg

Last Rites at Happisburgh

P1010120 640x480.JPG

P1010125 640x480.JPG

post-80-0-88191200-1301262805_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-93422600-1301262899_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-75024900-1301262941_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-91160800-1301263010_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-49010700-1301263090_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-12665800-1301263125_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-25185300-1301263195_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-14352500-1301263345_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-23575700-1301263381_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-06998100-1301263471_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-30464700-1301263554_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-82815400-1301263586_thumb.jpg

I wasn't there yesterday but today seemed far quieter than previous sundays. We did sign up a couple of new members but I think our society stand sales were down and I did wonder how the traders were doing.

There were slightly fewer layouts that I found interesting than last year but I think that's just down to random variation rather than any trend but were there fewer layouts in total? The lack of crowds did make it easier to take a good look at layouts and I was glad I didn't miss the last chance to see Happisburgh. It was also good to see the extended version of Moor St and thanks to those there who answered my many questions.

The coffee was drinkable this year which it hasn't been in past years (though we didn't get any vouchers today) and the sandwich I had for lunch was OK.

Apart from it being much closer to home I do find AP a far more pleasant location than the NEC and fortunately I didn't encounter the backed up drains that I gather were making the exhibitor's car park fairly foul!!

Impressionism at Crown St

that backscene is awful, going to set fire to it or take a sledgehammer to it the next chance I get! feel like doing it to the whole layout if im honest. flash photos dont help mind, but its still awful, done in a rush by a clubmember as can be seen.

although I havent been to the clubrooms in about 8 months, just cant get the time anymore. did say I cant do any work on it or take it to any shows but the lads in the club want to take it out so its left to them, I still get flack from them, although its not me asking for invites to shows, told them I cant go.

it doesnt look or operate how I want it to put it that way.

I did wonder if Crown Street was the same Crown Street I followed in an earlier version of RMWeb, Mike. For newer members, the layout topic can be found here...

http://www.rmweb.co....it=crown+street

Perhaps it was a space issue, but what happened to the blocks of flats and chimney that was built for the layout? As you say, the backscene isn't a patch on the original buildings I saw.

I wasn't able to get to AP this year, so am only able to make the observation from pics. Perhaps it looked better in real life...

Any more pics of Crewlisle about? It certainly stirred fond memories of CJ Freezer type layouts...

I went on Saturday, my fourth year in a row going to Ally Pally. I thought there was the selection of layouts was very good this year, with several really excellent ones, though with three deep crowds in front of whichever couple or so contemporary layouts are at the show each time I do wonder why they don't invite a few more. The stalls had most of the bits I was after, but I was surprised by the cost of Lima Mk3s, with one place having a pair for £35 each.

A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZY5ciVQ-Is

And some photos:

Apethorn Junction

B%20007.JPG

Blackston Junction

A%20181.JPG

Bawdsey

A%20038.JPG

A%20033.JPG

Appledore

A%20022.JPG

Clutton

A%20054.JPG

Flemingsburg Junction

A%20063.JPG

Happisburgh

A%20094.JPG

Felsen

A%20114.JPG

Widnes Vine Yard

A%20161.JPG

A%20169.JPG

A%20168.JPG

Asciano del Lamone

A%20135.JPG

A%20145.JPG

Groenen Creek

B%20002.JPG

A%20221.JPG

Paul

I went on Saturday, car parks really full but I was able to buy a ticket immediately at the box office with no queuing and got straight in. Thought the range of layouts was good, from an excellent Z gauge layout up to gauge 3, using control methods from radio control, i-phone, computer, dcc, non-dcc etc. You could see the latest product ranges from Bachmann etc. and then back in time to the enormous Hornby Dublo 3 rail set up - so seemed to me that this exhibition was especially wide ranging in showing what could be done in railway modelling. Everyone I talked to on layouts and stands was very friendly and helpful, saw good demos on casting, vac forming and painting. Oh, and I did find the "2 Bachmann mk1 coaches for £33" offer and also some Testors Dulcote spray varnish among various other bits and pieces so i went away happy after 6 hours.

I reckon it was a high standard exhibition.

Bill

Guest jim s-w

Most astonishing comment heard at Ally Pally today;

When a father asked an operator on behalf of his young son to see a particular train run he was told "you've missed it and we've completed the sequence now so you'll have to wait an hour and a half to see it next". :O

G.

Its, as others have said, down to how it was explained. Due to the way I intend to operate New St and its complexity we wont be able to 'do requests' and some trains may only run a few times a day. I am sorry but that is just how its going to have to be. Hopefully we should be able to give an approximate time when trains will run and I do intend to have 'happy hour' at the end of each day where normal service stops and we can do requests as well as having visitors stock run but ultimately we are there to provide a show and to do that the best way we can we need to have a sequence to run to. You wouldnt ask a band to play your favourite track 'right now' would you?

Cheers

Jim

As I live just down the road I went both days (got in free late Sunday). This was my first show so I had no expectations. There were plenty of highlights - Clutton, the WW2 layout and especially the 009 layout that nobody has mentioned but I though was just beautiful! I would love something like that.

I had a really interesting conversation with a couple 2mm Assoc members on Saturday. One chap making wagons and another visiting member. Thanks so much for being insightful and instructive, and most of all encouraging! I will seriously give membership some thought when I'm more accomplished.

I saw a few Minitrix coaches I was after on Plus Daughters stand but didn't have time to stop and bargain so thought I'd get them Sunday afternoon. Needless to say, they were gone by the time I got there. Bummer. I managed to persuade them that the brake van I was looking at was only worth a quid. He agreed so that was my bargain of the show. I did pick up a few gems from Gem though - some Peco connectors for my Mercontrol levers.

Apart from the usual people complaints - backpackers, invalid cars, non-looking bumpers and stand hoggers - I was REALLY disappointed with the Cheltenham stand. Such appalling customer service. I'm disappointed in myself for buying something from them but they should be ashamed of their complete indifference and (sometimes) rude attitude. One chap was constantly on his mobile phone to his mates with little or no attention to serving his customers, the older chap couldn't care less if he sold anything or not. The woman was slightly better.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and may venture to another, especially if there are more N and 2mm stands and traders.

I have been visiting exhibitions for many years but this was my first Ali Pally. I was expecting something similar to Eurospoor (which I have attended), but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was much better in many ways (not all tho). I liked the fact that layouts and trade stands were mixed together, unlike at Eurospoor where you have the room of layouts and the room of trade stands (typically).

The standard of modelling was very high, I think the balance of layouts could perhaps have been better, it felt like EM/P4 layouts seemed to outnumber most of the others. It may not have been the case, but it is the way it felt. The narrow gauge coverage also seemed a bit poor with less than a handful of NG layouts. Not to mention that the non UK models seemed to be a substantial minority. But that all said, you are never going to make everyone happy with the layout balance, and someone will always moan about it...

But, in all of this, the most refreshing thing about it all, was I left the exhibition in a good mood, having not suffered patronising, misogynistic comments that have been made at a disproportionate number of other exhibitions. Every time I asked a question on a stand or layout I was answered as a modeller, which was nice. I was also grateful of a quick guide in using the EM societies point filing jigs which I am looking at getting for my planned layout from the EM track building demo person.

I had a good day, I enjoyed myself, and I went home happy!

J

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at Paul's excellent pics of Alley pally and noticed the pile of washing machines on Widnes Vine yard - missed those when I was there!

They were dumped by a fly tipper, late in the afternoon.

We had a great time, lots of interesting chats, a few guest operators and Kelly and Nat (alie) looking around the wiring / systems.

Catering was good, although it did get busy, I missed all the queues, lucky I expect.

Thanks to all, visitors and hosts alike.

A lot of firsts this weekend. My first Ally Pally show from either side of the barriers. My first time operating Appledore. It behaved quite well considering its age and that it was its first outing in over a year. My first offer to drive on Widnes. (I'm feeling a bit of a prat now for not taking up Tony on the offer. D'oh)

It was good to meet several RMwebbers in person and bump into a few people I hadn't seen in years.

Good selection of layouts with lots of inspiration to try to resuscitate my moribund mojo. I only wish I had more free time to just be a spectator. Picked up a few bits and bobs that have been on my long term low priority shopping list.

Food, as an exhibitor I got the free lunch. While not Michelin star was pretty good for mass prepared bulk venue fayre.

People, I found far fewer of the rucksack brigade and managed to not get hit over the 2 days. That must be some sort of record. The one time I did get rammed into was when neither of us were watching where we were going and the apologies from both of us were given in perfect unison. Almost comical. There even seemed to be a shortage of soap dodgers compared to some shows I've been to. :)

My modelling mojo has shown a few signs of doing a Lazarus. Who knows, maybe my hiatus will be foreshortened. All in all a great weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for posting pics and videos - gives a really good sense of it.

I haven't been since 2007, and it was always a regular event in my calendar, so on balance, reading the critics it looked to be a good show.

Hi,

Spent Saturday with dad and a friend.

Thought that it was a good show with a nice range of layouts and traders. I too thought that the number of specialist traders had decreased from last year and it was a shame not see traders such as Comet or 247 there, but oh well. I thought the best layouts were Totnes, the nice little NBR layout in Winter in the specialist hall and littleton Parkway. Spent a bit of time at Aperthorn Junction and managed to watch a Class 47 get run into by by DMU, there on all the operators stood at looked at each other, classic! :lol:

It was nice to see Widnes Vine Yard again, although I never got to talk to Dave (Beast66606) because he was busy at the time I went to say hello! It was also nice to see some other RMwebbers when I saw Chris F, who took me to see clutton and meet Tim easter and some others. We hen proceeded to have a chat about wiring and DCC, thanks for the advice chaps, really good! :good_mini: :good_mini:

All in all, a very nice day, well spent, quite literally, managed to get a Class 70 for £85. So it was a good end to a good day!

Simon

Archived