Loudaphone

PeteScR

I have recently acquired a "Loudaphone" set and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a hold of the wiring diagram, power input requirements for these. They came from a DMU and I have the driver and guards van sets and they are works of art! I have opened them and they are pristine inside.

Any pointers welcome.

Pete

Buried somewhere at home I have at least one Loudaphone unit as used on the Underground. Buried somwhere else, indoors, I may also have some clues to train circuits, and I'll have a hunt in the next few days.

For now, I'd guess that there will be at least a feed and return connection from the train's control supply. For the Underground, this was -52 volts DC nominal, and definitely a DMU would be different. I wouldn't expect there to be a heavy current demand from this sort of kit.

There would at least be a pair of connections to the transmission line - the train wires used for communication. Wouldn't be unusual to be connected to a pair of wires not carrying a permanent current, such as lights or heating set and trip. With some Loudaphones, there might be an additional connection for a 'call attention' signal.

• RMweb Gold

For now, I'd guess that there will be at least a feed and return connection from the train's control supply. For the Underground, this was -52 volts DC nominal, and definitely a DMU would be different. I wouldn't expect there to be a heavy current demand from this sort of kit.

On the Southern EMUs that I used to work all the 'low voltage' circuits were 70v.

Andi

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have emailed Pete already via his web site but I thought I would put out a wider request. I own a Lightship (long story, don't ask why, but probably the same reason people like to ride steam engines). I am restoring the ship to get its systems working (light and fog horns etc). It has a loudaphone system on board and one of the handsets is missing a mouth piece. I was wondering if anyone had one of these things that they would be happy to sell me. I would like to get them working.

I would add (to anyone who has one in the garage) that they should not try and power it up. If it is like mine the internal wiring is rubber coated and when I touched (examined it) a lot of the rubber on the wire was missing and just disintegrated in my hand. They will need rewiring. It might just be my one but I doubt it. These things are very old and the wiring used in construction would not be good.

Anyway, if anyone is interested please do contact me via this forum. If anyone is interested in the ship then take a look at http://lightshipgannet.blogspot.com/

Thanks

S

Archived