Wheal Elizabeth

ullypug

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

I'm still debating whether to transfer stuff from the old site over as that was then, this is now etc. In the meantime, I'll start by setting up the topic and post anything new I feel is better here, rather than in my blog or gallery.

post-6673-12583600227964_thumb.jpg

Morning all

I'm still debating whether to transfer stuff from the old site over as that was then, this is now etc. In the meantime, I'll start by setting up the topic and post anything new I feel is better here, rather than in my blog or gallery.

Hi Andrew

I Know what you mean, i transferred a couple of reminder pages of Ranson Bridge and some new pics , the one you have just attached is a stunner,love those 136x tanks

Cant seem to get back into this site lately ,

Anyway sure I'll get used to it

thanks

regards

Brian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is a bit of a duplicate post whilst Andy waits for the server people to sort a technical issue on Blogs. Most of my stuff gets posted there but I've taken a few photos whilst setting the layout up in advance of the show in Weston in a couple of weeks.

They show the new conflat clays and the latest additions to the engineers trains, as well as D2127 a detailed Mainline 03 with a High Level chassis kit More details are on my blog page. Sharks have still to be painted, transfers added and weathered but I managed to sort the issue of working AJ couplings. It means losing a section through the ploughs but I don't see much alternative.

Anyway, posts attached.

post-6673-12625350369066_thumb.jpg

post-6673-1262535060544_thumb.jpg

post-6673-12625350769398_thumb.jpg

post-6673-12625350938907_thumb.jpg

post-6673-12625351105115_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Andrew, look forward to seeing you and the layout at Rochdale.

What era/stock do you plan to use at the exhibition?

Kevin

All of it! (i.e everything from Beattie Well Tanks to Class 37's in red stripe Railfreight, with lots of lovely hydraulics in between).

We tend to run steam to BR green diesels one day, then early BR corporate blue to airbraked mid 1980's another.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

hi andrew love this layout so much and its a big inspiration for what im hoping to achieve with mine, just one question for now anyway :lol:

are the clay conflats kits or scratchbuilt??

kind regards

neil

• RMweb Premium

hi andrew love this layout so much and its a big inspiration for what im hoping to achieve with mine, just one question for now anyway :lol:

are the clay conflats kits or scratchbuilt??

kind regards

neil

Thanks for the comments neil

The conflat clays are converted kits, namely Cambrian Boplate E with cut down Bachmann 20ft ISO containers. More details are on my blog.

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Just a gentle reminder that I'm off to the Weston show tomorrow (17 Jan). Everything prepped and ready to go. It must be all of a 7 minute drive to the show for me. Makes a change!

Any RM Webbers are very welcome to come and say hello.

Nice article in the new RM mon...

Another one to show that P4 is nae that hard and works cool.gif

Hang on a minute! This layout may look absolutely superb, fully capture the essence of china clay branches and the trains run faultlessly - all true - but I'm sorry to advise that it does nothing towards proving that P4 works! Why? Because it is not a 100' x 30' multi-track main line, with trackwork more complicated than Retford, running a multitude of pacific hauled 13 coach expresses at a scale 100 mph. I know because Tony Wright has said repeatedly that these are the criteria for proof, so it must be so!!

Oh well, back to my own none working branch terminus layout again to play with my non-working locos and stock!

dave.

Hang on a minute! This layout may look absolutely superb, fully capture the essence of china clay branches and the trains run faultlessly - all true - but I'm sorry to advise that it does nothing towards proving that P4 works! Why? Because it is not a 100' x 30' multi-track main line, with trackwork more complicated than Retford, running a multitude of pacific hauled 13 coach expresses at a scale 100 mph. I know because Tony Wright has said repeatedly that these are the criteria for proof, so it must be so!!

Wasn't a similar challenge from a different editor the reason why Heckmondwike was built, and indirectly the Scalefour Society formed ;-)

In the meantime, we just have to make do with these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GPL1968#p/u/0/Yzdz3t4AAr0

http://www.youtube.com/user/GPL1968#p/u/1/s7KHkp0oJd4

Watch this to the end for some high speed running at *more* than 100 mph :-)

Apologies if these have been posted here before, but it makes the "mainline P4" point rather well!

Flymo

I know because Tony Wright has said repeatedly that these are the criteria for proof, so it must be so!!

Oh well, back to my own none working branch terminus layout again to play with my non-working locos and stock!

dave.

If that quote was from anyone else from any other magazine you would possibly - even maybe - take a little notice. Hey but then its TW. I rest my case M'lud biggrin.gif

Anyway back OT I'm looking forward at long last to seeing Wheal elizabeth in the flesh at Rochdale www.rmrg.co.uk , who knows . if i get time off for good behaviour from dishing out exhibitors lunches and other duties, not operating on ewsbury Midland, I may - just may get chance to operate Wheal Elizabeth Andrew!!

• RMweb Premium

Anyway back OT I'm looking forward at long last to seeing Wheal elizabeth in the flesh at Rochdale www.rmrg.co.uk , who knows . if i get time off for good behaviour from dishing out exhibitors lunches and other duties, not operating on ewsbury Midland, I may - just may get chance to operate Wheal Elizabeth Andrew!!

You're very welcome to have a play Andy - it'll give me an opportunity to have a look round. There are quite a few layouts we don't get to see very often down here and it looks a good line up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well the stock is all ready to go. One or two running repairs completed since Weston and things more or less packed for the trip to Rochdale this coming weekend.

Any RM Webbers are very welcome to come and say hello, this being Wheal Elizabeth's first northern show, though not the last.

i wish i could get up there to see this great layout, its been a real inspiration and help for my deeping clay layout and to see it in the flesh would be fantastic, good luck with the show and keep the photos coming, there excellent

regards

neil

• RMweb Premium

Had a very enjoyable weekend operating the layout at Rochdale. A few pictures posted below. Managed to sneak a brake van special in when no one was looking (including me thanks to Geof!). Next outing will be the EM member's day at Chippenham on 21 Feb, then York at Easter.

post-6673-12656682376597_thumb.jpg

post-6673-1265668253369_thumb.jpg

post-6673-12656682733283_thumb.jpg

post-6673-1265668314345_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wheal Elizabeth will be appearing at York this coming weekend 2/3/4 April. Any RMwebbers are very welcome to come and say hello (assuming I'm not somewhere else drooling over other layouts). I don't think my silver bullets are going to arrive in time to be converted to P4 before the show :(

Have to wait until Epsom at the end of April.

Other shows this year are Scaleforum (Sept), Thorncombe (Nov) and Wigan (Dec).

post-6673-126989021388_thumb.jpg

Archived