Stubby's latest boxfile layout - Laterite & Co Ltd

• RMweb Gold

Despite not having finished any of my last three projects (yet...), I've been tempted into creating a new boxfile layout.

This one will use 3 boxes, two for scenery and one reversed as the fiddle yard. It is not based on any particular location, style, era or reality, but is inspired in a very loose way by the Welsh Slate Museum at Llanberis.

These are very much 'in-progress' shots, but should give the gist of what I'm attempting. As with Porth Byhan, the buildings are designed to be split so that the lids can closed. I'm also hoping to include a working wagon turn table...

post-7025-025006800 1292252525_thumb.jpg

post-7025-094310500 1292252550_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That looks really good. I love the Idea of box file layouts.

Can i ask, is that scalescences brick paper you have used ? and if so what have you mounted it on ?

Thanks

Owen

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments.

Owen, yes it is Scalescenes paper, mainly mounted on 1.5mm photo mount frame card ( my standard stock, after having been given a banana box full of 7 x 5 sheets, all with mitred edges).

The back of the large factory building is thin cornflake pack card, to reduce the thickness.

Kenton, the trick is to think small, you can't actually get much in a boxfile, so keep the concept really simple. But these sorts of layouts are handy for the winter period, sat with the family in the warm lounge. They also serve as good practice pieces.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I've added a row of offices and the steps into the entrance building. I've allowed for a 3mm high ground level for the office doors, apart from the end door in the little passageway, which will be set into the ground, down a couple of steps.

The main steps to the entrance building will also need adjusting for the 3mm high ground level - as yet these elements are only posed for photos and assessment.

post-7025-075000400 1292420998_thumb.jpg

As usual Stu, this is looking good!

The scalescenes brick looks great,

and I like the added touch re the stairwell - I've definately seen that in real form...

Re your wagon turntable - what will you use?

I've got a Skytrex one in O gauge.

It looks really good, and uses a "lazy Susan" bearing -

which should be an ideal way of keeping the turntable free-running,

and nice + level, without any rocking.

I've seen folk use one of the spindles you get from bulk buying CDs...

seems like a plan to me...

Keep em comin'

Marc :D

Edit; I've always fancied a wagon turntable,

where the wagon stops, rotates 90 degrees,

and is then pulled into some opening warehouse-doors....

...the wagon is then loaded (or replaced by a loaded version for us cheats!)

the doors open, and hey presto, the loaded wagon appears,

rotates back through 90, and is taken away again....

Sounds simple enough,

but I still aint got round to actually doing it :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As always, thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

I've been making some progress on the wagon turntable.

The pivot is the Lego bit - it's 3mm high, plus the four locating lugs, so is an ideal height to use where there is no under baseboard facility.

The bicycle spoke is used to manually pull/push the table around.

I'm so pleased with how it's worked, I've even made a YouTube video :

You should be able to see the coupling lift, before the wagon is turned. This is a variation on the Brian Kirby uncoupling method - the magnet is on a sliding plate, manually pushed under the wagon once it's been put on the turntable.

I had to make the magnet moveable, to allow the wagon to be removed by the loco - a permanent magnet would have meant moving the wagon beyond the table before the coupling hook dropped.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

More work on the turntable and the surrounding ground works.

post-7025-0-08195400-1295624069_thumb.jpg

Since this was taken I've added the rails to the internal loading platform, and have the basic from wall of the warehouse completed.

More piccys later.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Jack.

Splashed a bit of paint around yesterday, plus made a start on the front wall of the loading bay warehouse. I still need to complete the turntable, I've got one of the non-working rail pieces on, the rest need to be cut to size then pva'd down.

I'm not sure whether to use coffee stirrers as the wood base - they work out at a scale 1'3" wide, which I think is too wide. Another option is to use embossed plasticard, but this is to thin and will need packing up first.

post-7025-0-44700400-1295781073_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-83301000-1295781113_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looks great Stu cool.gif , personally I would go for the plastic for the planks, even though it sounds counter intuitive, but those stirrers never seem to be even enough and the grain is of course way over scale. I find well detailed and painted/weathered plastic can look better.

Stu, I did one away back for a try-out capstan-shunting layout, and used an off-cut of Formica, (upside down) for the grain effect, and used an Edding drawing pen to draw the planks and spike holes on it - sorry - no photos! Used plasticard to raie the level - BTW mine wasn't powered as the locos didn't run onto it - movements, were dealt with by rope and capstans, including the turning - all done by the loco moving to and fro. - the other alternative is sheet balsa cut into strips and stained

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Jumping around yet again from project to project, this is a my latest boxfile style layout.

Using three boxes, one for the FY and two for the scenic area, it is supposed to depict a small yard next to a large red brick factory. A single point leads one way to a small loading dock, or the other to a wagon turntable, which itself leads to an indoor unloading facility.

The boxes are joined togegther with magnets, the turntable works using a Lego axis and a bicycle spoke to provide power, and Brian Kirby uncoupling is used to separate the wagons.

As yet, I have no name for this layout, so suggestions are invited.

post-7025-0-36151200-1299541796_thumb.jpg

Oh, and the usual Stubby47 self-imposed rules apply - the box lids must be able to shut...

That looks great.

I love the wagon turntable. Any chance of a close up of that?

Are the structures and low-relief back-scene removable so you can close the box files? (ah yes, I just read the last line).

As for names, Brick Lane is probably a bit obvious but could be a good excuse for modeling a curry house B)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Linesman (great avatar pic!)

Yep, all the building work above the height of the box is removable - the backscene is in three pieces, the main arched building is one piece, the white wall is covering the box join and the section over the wagon loading bay also comes off.

Here's a pic of the turntable :

post-7025-0-17312500-1299542635_thumb.jpg

And Brick Lane is, as you say, a bit obvious...

Stu

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress on the right-hand side building. No idea why I added a curved roof line to the dormer, it will be a nightmare trying to make the roof piece...

post-7025-0-60249400-1299870043_thumb.jpg

This is the layout all packed up...

post-7025-0-89401700-1299870200_thumb.jpg

Archived