Lime Street Station

Les Green

Major task is completing the track details:

Grinding back the rivets on each sleeper of the ply and rivet trackwork, cutting plastic chairs in two and trimming them so they can be fitted individually against the web of the rail!

Mind numbing!

Steve.

Steve,

A mind blowing task indeed. Another option is to leave the rivets intact and use a round needle file to remove material from the rear of each half of the chair - still mind numbing though!

Robin

• RMweb Premium

Glad you all had a great trip Steve, sounds like you all had fun.

I will be living up North by the time of the Blackburn show, so am very much looking forward to popping over the hills for another look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It will be just a month tomorrow since Michael's last posting on this topic.

I've been in Florida for most of that time, at my daughter's wedding.

However I'm pleased to say that others in the team have been their usual busy selfs.

John has been detailing the track-work in the station throat.

Over 500 individual chairs have been fitted as these two pictures show:

post-3984-0-96678000-1371238833_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-79807600-1371238831_thumb.jpg

Each chair has its soldered joint with the sleeper's rivet ground away, the chair split in two, and then carefully filed and fitted in place with adhesive.

Most of these will be unseen other than by the carefully focussed camera, as this area is behind the LNWR Signal Box!

We all of course know they are there.

Before the ballasting can commence all the point rodding has to be fabricated and fitted.....

What an effort!

John has also been busy with more flatform fixtures and fittings, of which photos are awaited.

Ticket barriers, and the goods lift for Platform 1 are in hand at present.

I believe Rob has been weathering more of the platforms since his return from holiday.

I know Les has also been away celebrating a wedding anniversary in Madeira, but I can't believe he hasn't been busy on something on his laptop..????

I did take the Working Timetable with me to Florida, but it must be something to do with the time difference or whatever.....I failed miserably to make much progress on our new operating schedule.

John, Les and Brian will be at the Wigan show this weekend, demonstrating their not insignificant skills, so drop by and say "Hello".

More soon, I hope.

Steve.

• Like 11

I know Les has also been away celebrating a wedding anniversary in Madeira, but I can't believe he hasn't been busy on something on his laptop..????

OK I admit it. The next stage of the hotel design is to take all the components from the 3D design and draw them in 2D with all the details on ready for laser cutting. i.e. brick courses, stone courses, lintels, arches etc. I manage to do a few drawings on the four hour flight to Madeira. The flight home was delayed by two and a half hours. Hence I was in the departure lounge at Madeira completing a few more drawings. The downside was I couldn't do any more on the flight home as the laptop battery had given up the ghost. Now booked a round the world trip. That should give me a few hours to spare on flights!!!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

John has been busy this week making a start on all the point rodding required. Rob has also been busy painting and weathering some of the track chairs. I, on the other hand, have done nowt!

post-8613-0-83278400-1372959205_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-93972000-1372959223_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

I have just gone through this thread from start to finish...all I can say is WOW!  :O Truly amazing craftsmanship....the station roof is just a marvel.  

I watched the Youtube video a few months ago on this layout but seeing this thread has really brought it all home just how much work and dedication has gone into this build so far.  

I take my hat off to all of you. :D

Hi

May i ask where did you get the point rodding from?, looking very good.

1) The rodding itself is 0.5mm square section brass wire obtained from “Eileen's Emporium” some time ago. I think they stock it in small lengths, but I had a special order and bought 15 meters. Downside was it was coiled  making it hard but not impossible to straighten. I know “Hobby Holidays” can supply it in straight lengths what’s more, in Nickel Silver. This will be easier to solder and “keep straight” !

2) The stools are white metal, and are supplied by “Model Signal Engineering” (Wizard Models).  A more detailed (and challenging) version made from etched brass is available from “Masokits”. These have to be individually made up and really do look the part, but inherently take time to build. These can be made to work.

3) All the cranks, bases, and point locks were sourced from “Masokits”, I think they are also available from “Model Signal Engineering”.

• 2 weeks later...