Kernow Adams O2

• RMweb Premium

A long shot I know but I don't suppose that among the bits of returned ones that there is the possibility of a O2 body (preferably with all or most of the small parts still attached) coming up available for sale is there?

A long shot I know but I don't suppose that among the bits of returned ones that there is the possibility of a O2 body (preferably with all or most of the small parts still attached) coming up available for sale is there?

Have you had an answer to your question?  I am waiting for an answer to two recent e-mails about the rear bogie screw and spring.

There are Companies who make a business out of stripping models and selling the spares. Might it be beneficial for all parties (certainly for we modellers!) for the returned O2s to be sold to one of those companies who would then sell the bits as spares?

Chris G

• 3 weeks later...

Same as me, when I lifted Ventnor off for wheel cleaning a few of months ago, the bogie was left on the track.  No sign of screw or spring but could have been missing for ages, track cleaned and vacuumed once a week and lots of it.  Runs OK without being properly attached, but no back-up for spares it seems.

I have some positive news! The screw in question is used in a number of the places on the O2. I removed the one which is screwed into the chassis underneath the bunker (i.e. just back from the trailing bogie mounting). It does not seem to have resulted in the model falling apart. I bought some steel compression springs from Eileen's Emporium (Steel Compression Spring 4.0mm Long 3.0mm Dia 10 Pack SPRC300), one of which seems to have done the job. 

Chris

)ompression Spring 4.0mm Long 3.0mm Dia 10 Pack SPRC300

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have the BR 30225 version was it usual for the cab interior to be such a bright shade of yellow ... I have seem cream paint on the interior of other types of loco?

I have been looking at photos of this loco in "Steam in Cornwall by Peter Gray " and very much nit picking I think it's very fine finish needs a bit of toning down to give a more care worn appearance.

The other thing that catches my eye is the smoke box handles which seem to protrude further than maybe it should.

It's amazing how far model trains have come with detail that I'm looking at something as inconsequential as that

Incidentally in the same book it shows a couple of photos of this loco hauling a train of Maunsell coaches page 14 /15 the one coach appears to be a BCK whereas the second could it be a composite as it's not a Brk 2nd ?

Would this be two loose coaches rather than a set

R

• RMweb Premium

I have the BR 30225 version was it usual for the cab interior to be such a bright shade of yellow ... I have seem cream paint on the interior of other types of loco?

I have been looking at photos of this loco in "Steam in Cornwall by Peter Gray " and very much nit picking I think it's very fine finish needs a bit of toning down to give a more care worn appearance.

The other thing that catches my eye is the smoke box handles which seem to protrude further than maybe it should.

It's amazing how far model trains have come with detail that I'm looking at something as inconsequential as that

Incidentally in the same book it shows a couple of photos of this loco hauling a train of Maunsell coaches page 14 /15 the one coach appears to be a BCK whereas the second could it be a composite as it's not a Brk 2nd ?

R

Looks to me as though the coaches in those photos are a Maunsell Brake Composite and an Open Second. These were formed into two coach sets as the photo shows. In this case the brake end has been marshalled in the centre of the train. Both coaches have set numbers on them, although I can't make out if it's the same set. Some chopping and changing between sets did occur though.

• RMweb Premium

R

Cab Interiors were a yellow/cream ex works, but soon lost its lustre in service.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Looks to me as though the coaches in those photos are a Maunsell Brake Composite and an Open Second. These were formed into two coach sets as the photo shows. In this case the brake end has been marshalled in the centre of the train. Both coaches have set numbers on them, although I can't make out if it's the same set. Some chopping and changing between sets did occur though.

Sets 100 - 110 were formed thus 1959-62. Hornby have produced a BR(S) open third with set number 105 on the end. 

• RMweb Gold

Just to say that I have only just read through this thread and need to say that I built a Finecast 02 once and made a pretty good job of it. However this model makes my effort look like a pile of carp. Just saying.

Ivor Bungle

Something fishy about this post.......throw it back in the pond to feed the herons....

• RMweb Premium

Thank you 2ManySpams, Oldudders, Phil for all the information much appreciated.

Now time to get the paint out

R

Sets 100 - 110 were formed thus 1959-62. Hornby have produced a BR(S) open third with set number 105 on the end. 

Also with set number 104 (R4538) although i've not found a matching 6 compartment Brake Composite without resorting to renumbering for either set.

• RMweb Premium

Spams, do you know if those 'redundant' 10 Compartment coaches (100 seaters?) became the 'strengtheners' such as that at Axminster and Seaton Junction?

Philth

Iirc one was used on the Meldon quarry workers train. Would have to read up on the fate of the rest but I suspect they were retired due to their age - concerns over the strength of old coaches following an accident.

• RMweb Premium

Iirc one was used on the Meldon quarry workers train. Would have to read up on the fate of the rest but I suspect they were retired due to their age - concerns over the strength of old coaches following an accident.

I could have looked up some stuff but I am a lazy ar$£ as you know. I shall have a little looky in my little booky leter this evening as nothing else that rhymes with booky or looky can happen in this weather.

A. Cooky

• RMweb Premium

I could have looked up some stuff but I am a lazy ar$£ as you know. I shall have a little looky in my little booky leter this evening as nothing else that rhymes with booky or looky can happen in this weather.

A. Cooky

Nooky?