Kernow Adams O2

• 1 month later...

Kernow have announced a seventh version of the O2 in Southern Maunsell livery fitted with push pull gear, numbered 207.

And, ironically, that is the only one that is sold out! 

It seems that 'any colour you want, as long as it's black' still holds.

Pity there are not a few new versions of the O2, an IoW loco in SR livery or a loco in LSWR Sage Green livery for example.

Are Kernow stuck with a stock of slowly moving locos whilst we are ready to spend money on more locos that cannot be produced until that stock has cleared?

Edited by andrewwaite1

• RMweb Gold

Pity there are not a few fresh versions of the O2, an IoW loco in SR livery or a loco in LSWR Sage Green livery for example.

Are Kernow stuck with a stock of slowly moving locos whilst we are ready to spend money on more locos that cannot be produced until that stock has cleared?

I doubt that Kernow are contemplating further production of the O2.However,a phone call to them might be in order to clarify matters.

Pity there are not a few new versions of the O2, an IoW loco in SR livery or a loco in LSWR Sage Green livery for example.

O2 #214 in LSWR green looks very smart.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/486;lswr/i-8p7CKrk/A

Edited by andrewwaite1
  • Like 3

Hi Folks,

Can anyone share the CV best settings for this Model, I have adjusted CV 55,54,49,2. The model starts ok but slows to a crawl on some sections of track on a lower Speed Setting, I have a Beattie Well tank and it runs quite beautifully so a bit perplexed on this one. Moderate speed is fine though.

TIA

Interesting development, Gaugemaster in Ford, Sussex now have O2's in stock, numerous variants in their new stock just in cabinet in the front entrance.

They're also on the website. But, unfortunately, only the black ones.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if it's been covered here, I apologize if it has, but I don't fancy going back through 68 pages to try and find it:

Does anyone know the correct way for the vac pipes to be fitted to the front buffer beam for the PP mainland versions?

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can obtain a Kernow/DJ O2 in maunsell green livery, please? I seem to have missed-out on these.

Kindest,

Andrew

Try eBay or Hattons S/H list. Dave Jones was selling some NQP (not quite perfect) examples at Stafford earlier this year but I'm not sure if he had any Maunsel Green liveries. Might be worth an email.

If all else fails, one could buy one in another colour and have it repainted professionally: I priced professional painting/kit building/scratch-building services at the London exhibition last month, and a full respray of a 1:76 scale steam locomotive was estimated by one professional model maker at £50-£60, which would make the O2 in Southern Railway Maunsell green cost ~£175 instead of ~£125 (not including postage) using this method.

The professional model maker's website is: www.theweatheringservice.co.uk ("The Weathering Service")

Edited by jamespetts

• 1 month later...

I have managed to get hold of a Maunsell green O2 over eBay; it was sold as having had its couplings modified. On receiving it, I find that the front NEM pocket has been carefully removed and placed in the packet of spares, and looks easy to re-attach (if I remove the glued-in vacuum pipes). However, the rear NEM pocket has been cut away and is missing. I am not quite sure what to do about that: I could simply run the locomotive coupled only at the front, but that is not really how it would have worked with a push-pull set. I could try to use scale screw link couplings and have it permanently coupled to gate stock carriages, but then it would not be possible to have the locomotive uncouple to visit the shed. My plan is to use Kadee couplings generally on the layout.

I bought this now, even though I am focussing on the other N gauge layout at present because these are difficult to get hold of. Does anyone know of a way of retrofitting an NEM pocket and/or a Kadee coupling to a small locomotive like this?

I did wonder about using the Kadee no. 5, but I am not sure where one might fit the box for it. The space left after the removal of the NEM pocket is shown in the attached picture.

Looking at that I think I would be talking nicely to Kernow and to DJM to see if there is any possibility of getting a bogie frame as a spare part- Kernow as a spare or Dave might have a scrapper he would sell the bogie from.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Premium

In that photo it looks like that little hole is where the NEM socket was. I suggest taking a Kadee NEM coupling and gluing it into that hole. Check it's at the right height and select one of appropriate length.

In that photo it looks like that little hole is where the NEM socket was. I suggest taking a Kadee NEM coupling and gluing it into that hole. Check it's at the right height and select one of appropriate length.

I did try placing the NEM tension lock coupler that remained in the packet against the hole, but the hole was far too small (about half the size that it needs to be). I wonder whether some shank/fragment of an non-NEM Kadee might fit into that hole?

• RMweb Premium

You could try enlarging the hole a bit, thinning the coupling tail. I can't locate any of my O2s right now so I'm relying on photos to see what it should look like at the back.

• RMweb Premium

I did try placing the NEM tension lock coupler that remained in the packet against the hole, but the hole was far too small (about half the size that it needs to be). I wonder whether some shank/fragment of an non-NEM Kadee might fit into that hole?

Firstly get a small flat bladed screwdriver and insert it into the hole. Give it a wiggle to try and expand the plastic a bit returning it to something more rectangular - when I have trimmed the pocket on my O2, M7, N15 etc to reduce the over long distance the tension lock sticks out, then the pocket does get a bit crushed and requires expanding again before it can be used.

Secondly get your NEM coupler of choice and on the section that goes into the mount, use a set of cutters to remove 2/3rds to 1/2 if the length leaving you with a rectangular tab.

Thirdly get some glue (I use PVA wih a touch of black acrylic paint) and coat the shortened end of the coupler in it. Then insert the coupler into the hole in the bogie and leave till the glue dries.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Good news, I found an O2. Here are some photos that should help you.

I tried to replicate your photo, for comparison.

post-6821-0-32638700-1528052127_thumb.jpg

A close up of an intact NEM socket.

post-6821-0-22416200-1528052201_thumb.jpg

It sticks out quite a bit, no wonder it was removed.

post-6821-0-21696400-1528052118_thumb.jpg

This confirms that if you open the hole out you will be able to fit a Kadee coupler, there is plenty of room to push it in further to secure it.

post-6821-0-39036700-1528052113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nile