Johnsons Klear/ Quick Shine

Hi

Silly question i see people using johnson klear for varnishing bodys on locos, but it is very hard to come across in my part of the world but whilst shopping today spotted something similar i think its johnsons pledge klear multi surface wax. I had a look in bottle and its clear is it the same stuff or is it something completly different?

Also if its different stuff has anyone used it?

I have attached a picture:)

Scott

post-267-0-93179800-1300211150_thumb.jpg

Scott

Most Asda Large Store's have Klear in stock usually £2.50 / £3.50 a bottle.

Pete

I have a feeling that even ASDA have exhausted their stocks of original Klear now. Don't buy the replacement that is murky brown though as that wont work.

I have a feeling that even ASDA have exhausted their stocks of original Klear now. Don't buy the replacement that is murky brown though as that wont work.

Ok i will look out for the original and will stay clear of the replacement then:)

Thanks

Scott

Most Asda Large Store's have Klear in stock usually £2.50 / £3.50 a bottle.

Pete

Pete,

I'd be interested to hear of any ASDA branches that may still have stocks of orignal Klear. It's my understanding that ASDA hasn't sold the stuff for a year or so but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong!

I have and it's very good.

Scott the stuff you mention in your first post says wax, to me that suggests it would never dry and harden like a varnish. I could be wrong though

Hope the weathering is going well

Richard

Well went to lakelands today in llanelli and the quick shine they do they have discontinued it for something with the same name it 10.29 a bottle and looks like milk. Im not having any luck with this weathering :(

Any one suggest something else for varnish :)

Well went to lakelands today in llanelli and the quick shine they do they have discontinued it for something with the same name it 10.29 a bottle and looks like milk. Im not having any luck with this weathering :(

Any one suggest something else for varnish :)

Are you sure this isn't the same stuff thst others have used? It says here that it has a milky appearance. I hope it is the Quick shine that others have used as I'd hate to think I'd missed the boat once again.

Are you sure this isn't the same stuff thst others have used? It says here that it has a milky appearance. I hope it is the Quick shine that others have used as I'd hate to think I'd missed the boat once again.

Hi went on the link and the bottle which is shown on the site is the stuff is seen. But i was woundering if its the same stuff as before and does it dry clear?

Hi

Out here in Oz, that's the name and packaging under which kleer is sold - only its under the "Pledge" name alone - its not til you read the back of the bottle do you see its made by Johnsons. If its aroma (which can be quite sinus burning) gets up your nose whilst you're spraying it, consider brushing it on - its like water and you won't get brush marks because it levels itself as it dries

If you want to use it as a flat varnish, stir (thoroughly) in a small amount (about 30%) of Tamiya Matt Medium - that's a tip from the aircraft modellers and it does work - although I'd reccommend spraying a test patch first, if you've got too much matt medium in the mix, you'll get a cloudy, white effect wherever you spray it when its dry - dries pretty fast too !

Best

Matthew

Johnsons Klear is sold under different names in other parts of the world - this might help, (although the formula sold in UK changed a couple of years ago).

http://www.swannysmo...leteFuture.html

I found the above link through Shorliners link a while back and have used the new kleer floor wax in the white bottle, not yet as a finishing coat on a painted model ,but have used it on a 1/48 scale aircraft kit's canopy.pleased with the results.Came out like stated in above link,crystal clear,when dry.

Ive yet to finish painting model to try it out on painted surfaces.

I did however a while ago coat a scalescenes card kit with it,It did waterproof it a bit,at least against smudging whilst. handling . On a test print i placed in window however,the paper did fade.

Tel

Has anyone tried Astonish floor polish as shown in the link provided by shortliner as this product is readily availble and cheap.

I have used this before Klear left the scene and the bottles I have are of quite an age. The formula appears to be the same as Klear and I have had no problem with it. I cannot vouch for current bottles as they to may have changed the formula. It has got to be worth a try as it does not break the bank

Terry

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have bought the Lake lands Quick shine and have used it on a class 2 but looks to be streaky and not a clear smooth finish which I thought it would have been. Does anyone know what the reason could be for that? I have weathered it first with matt enamel paints.

Thanks

Scott

I have seen this recommended as being the same stuff as Klear but now offered for modellers. Not such good value as the original but then how much did most of us get through?

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=GMWFUTURE3

Please note that I have not tried it myself, I am just repeating what I have been told. I would be interested to see if it really is Klear. It is hard to tell from the picture but it looks cloudy rather than clear.

I first picked up the recomendation for the original Klear from Frank Waller of Road Transport Images, he had been using it for many years. With the demise of the old formula, there was some doubt about the new one but Frank's last newsletter assures customers thet the new formula works in exactly the same way as the old stuff. I've yet to try it myself but I'd accept his recommendation at face value, perhaps trying it on a trial piece of scrap to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the new formula on some armour and aircraft kits I've done recently and found the results no different to the old one. As well as providing a good coat for decals to go onto, if painted over any glazing on a model it will give it the effect of looking much thinner.

• 6 months later...

Good Evening all

I do hope I do not get into trouble for bringing this subject up again.

But I can now confirm there is absolutely no difference between the old dis-continued Johnsons Klear and the New formula still available in certain stores.

Replica Railways in Swindon kindly gave me one of their white plastic coach bodies to carry out the experiment, I thought using white plastic would show up any colour casts.

I painted one half of the coach in the old formula and the other half in the new replacement formula and there is no difference, I cannot see where the two join, they are identical.

I hope this satisfies anyone doubting the new replacement product as I know there have been suggestions of a brownish colour cast when used.

I could photograph the coach body but I do not think it would show up very well.

And I promise never to mention this product again.

Regards

I have just tried using Pledge Multi Surface wax (new version of Klear) as ballast adhesive and I have to say that I am impressed with how easy it is.

The ballast was Woodland scenics fine and was given a misting with water first. Then I poured some pledge into a bottle with an eye dropper and added a drop of Tamiya matting agent to help kill the shine and the applied it to the ballast. It sank in quickly and easily without disturbing the ballast. No sign of the old gremlins of cratering or surface tension. In fact it even got drawn through by capillary action.

12 hours later and it has set nicely. I hoovered up the few loose grains and stood the layout up on its side. Nothing fell off! :locomotive:

I will not be using PVA again for ballasting and I would heartily recommend Pledge to anyone who wants to make sometimes tedious job of ballasting go much quicker.

• RMweb Premium

I have just tried using Pledge Multi Surface wax (new version of Klear) as ballast adhesive and I have to say that I am impressed with how easy it is.

The ballast was Woodland scenics fine and was given a misting with water first. Then I poured some pledge into a bottle with an eye dropper and added a drop of Tamiya matting agent to help kill the shine and the applied it to the ballast. It sank in quickly and easily without disturbing the ballast. No sign of the old gremlins of cratering or surface tension. In fact it even got drawn through by capillary action.

12 hours later and it has set nicely. I hoovered up the few loose grains and stood the layout up on its side. Nothing fell off! :locomotive:

I will not be using PVA again for ballasting and I would heartily recommend Pledge to anyone who wants to make sometimes tedious job of ballasting go much quicker.

I'll second the method, although I used the original formula. I wetted my ballast with IPA & water mixed (IPA available from Maplins in 1 litre cans). I've also used it for ground cover flock too.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I asked SWMBO to get me a bottle of Quick Shine from our nearest Lakeland branch on Thursday, but after checking their computer system she was told it had been withdrawn from sale, both at shops and online, and would be replaced by a 'new' version in April. I wonder if that will be another unclear version of Klear? :scratchhead:

Geoff

Archived