DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Great job on the depot neil, looks really good. I really like the idea of all the lockers and pillar drills etc too. Perfect for some atmospheric sounds i think.

Cav

Thanks all for the great comments, im really happy with how the depot building has turned out, next up for the building is some subtle lighting on the inside and a spot on the outside, and a few maintenance staff to fill those lockers with junk, and maybe a bit of clutter on the right side, i have also put a small concrete apron in front of the main door, maybe a slightly rusty inspection platform and a few metal bins with some rusting parts.

Cav, hopefully a sound 60 maybe coming in 2 mths time so that will definatly add some atmosphere laugh.gif

The small bumpy road that sits over the headshunt has also been laid, using a few built up layers of filler.

This weekend when i finally finish working, im going to attempt to do a few small sections of ballasting in the areas that dont need any more building work doing on or around, this will mainly be the headshunt, the rear of the depot building and the road behind the depot.

The ballast will be a mixture of jarvis very fine ballast, with a lot of very fine sand mixed in and a few very small areas of filler, which i hope will come out ok when stippled with a hard brush, then a little ballast sprinkled in and a lot of oily, greasy weathering, i think im going to do a little trial piece and hopefully give the impression of a dirt build up on the ballast

thanks again for the great comments

Cheers

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks Matt, great to hear from you again aswell.

Ok a few little updates

Most of the update is the ballasting, and some shrubs and geenery, also the interior of the depot is nearing completion and the exterior needs a few more details adding on, pipework etc.

the ballast was made up of extra fine grey jarvis ballast with fine sand mixed in, this was brushed in and drops of water put on to it then the usual PVA mix dropped on using a eyedropper, very tedious but im really happy with the results.

the greenery stuff that has benen put down is woodland scenics dark underbush, which has a light spec of greenery to the ends, this was stuck down with PVA and sprayed with cheap hairspray, then some sprinkles of light green and red flock to lighten the grenery up a little, still plenty more greenery to add as i dont want it all to look the same colour.

here are a few pics of the updated work.

post-6696-0-80604700-1303122176_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-57237600-1303122186_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-71946900-1303122195_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-67229600-1303122205_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-04633300-1303122215_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-10247700-1303122233_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-39069600-1303122258_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-70517700-1303122268_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-30532500-1303122284_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-87644000-1303122293_thumb.jpg

please feel free to comment, im always open to tips and help and things i may have missed laugh.gif

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Starting to really look the business Neil. Really liking the depot. Are you intending to build up the ground levels anywhere or will it all be flat?

The 60 will definately add to it. What livery is it?

Cav

Hi all

Thanks Cav, im really happy with how this is turning out so far, i know previously iv spoken to Cav about having a embankment at the front of the layout, but after a few re thinks iv not gone down that root, although how the baseboards are built i could add ths at a later date if i wanted to.

This week has seen alot of scenic developments with the addition of some lighter green foliage on top of the dark underbush which has lightened everything nicely.

I also thought that the retaining wall at the back of the layout under the warehouse would be a fairly bland expanse of walling, so after a trip to the model shop i came back with a pack of ratio security fencing and gates, this will form a compound area in front of half the retaining wall which the track maintenance team will move plenty of junk and rubbish in sooner or later.

I have also given the fuel point area a bit of consideration and decided to leave the fuel point out for now and develop the land into a car park for the depot staff, the reason for this was that the fuel point would conceal to much of the layout and you wouldnt be able to see much of the locos moving through to the depot, this also gives a siding to store a few wagons or a loco waiting to go on or off shed.

the back panels have also had a little treatment and experimentation, i have painted the back panels with a wash of white undercoat, then washed some childrens watercolour paints over the top ( hope my daughter doesnt realise daddy has borrowed her paints ) i used some pale blues, white and a pale grey, i was originally toying with the idea of digital printed back scenes and this may still happen if the current experiment doesnt look to good in the morning unsure.gif

I also purchased some high hedges for the rear left and left end panel, the end panel will have a gate at the end of the road for the staff to enter and exit.

hopefully some pics to come by the end of the weekend.

i have really enjoyed building this layout so far, and i have learnt alot along the way mainly with the foray into DCC and trying to push my scenics to be better than previous layouts.

although im still scratching my head with point motors.

A quick question to anyone out there, signals, what can i have and where do i put them?????????

And yes Cav the 60 will look great on here and also an EWS 56 is coming soon, looks like more work for your weathereing shop Mate, once the 57 has been sent out laugh.gif

Thanks everyone for the positive comments

Cheers

Neil

Some good ideas there mate. I like the idea of ditching the fuelling point as there is now a bit more room to store PW wagons or even wagons coming in for repair. Is that not a fuel tank in your shed? As for signals I doubt that there would be any in the area you've modelled. It would all be internal movements. Maybe a stop board as you come upto the three way point to get permission to proceed to where you're going but beast 66606 might be able to better advise. I just think a stop board sometimes adds some detail even if its not completely accurate. I added one to Outon if you noticed!

As for the locos I look forward to giving them a dusting so to speak. the Hornby 60 is my favorite model to weather. Is it ews too? they weather up sweet.

cheers

Cav

Hi mate, yes there is a fuel tank inside the depot, that was what sparked the ditching the fule point idea in the first place, and then i looked at it more in depth.

i thought the answer on the signals was going to be a not really answer, but i do like the suggestion of the stop board, yours on outon is pretty cool, how did you make it??

the 60 is a load haul one and i think an EWS is going to be aquired also.

I am also trying to find some depot signs, ie H+S signs and signs on the outside of the depot bulding, think i need to sort some drain pipes and external piping too for the depot, just to finish it off.

Cheers

Neil

I have a load of sign graphics that I just print out on card then varnish. Works a treat. I'll send you a zip file if you like. Do you have photoshop? if not you can bang em in word and scale and print in there.

Is the loadhaul black or triple grey?

Cheers

Cav

brillent thanks mate, not got photoshop, but im sure i can sort something in word at work or something, thanks mate.

The 60 is the black one with the orange ends and the large loadhaul logo, think it would look good faded logo and orange ends faded too maybe, ill leave it you super hands laugh.gif

Ok send me your email address and Ill do you a zip file.

I will research the black loadhaul weathering tendancies and weather to suit! Its a good livery. I like the triple grey version though which I did one of a few months back, that one was awsome I didn'y want to give it back to the customer!! :lol:

Cool cheers cav, iv seen a couple of pics of the livery with the large load haul logo which was really faded. I was eyein up a couple railfreight 27s yesterday too, gotta swing that by the missus yet tho, got permission for a day off for demu tho ha ha

Railfreight 27's? 26's methinks! Love them though. Nice and small and lots of details to play with. Bit scottish for your area though innit?

You'll love DEMU its a great show. Smaller venue this year but should still be a fantastic event plus Outon Road will be there so even better! lol Might even let you guest drive for a bit if you like!!

Cav

cool cheers mate, that would be fun, ill bring the 09 n some other stuff too.

Yeah they are out of my era and region, but i could always have a scottish day on the layout, couple of stags heads n scotty dog locos lol

ok here is a few picture updates of the work thats gone on over the weekend, mainly the fencing around the compound and greenery and trees and hedges.

as always please feel free to comment.

post-6696-0-09725400-1303736236_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-25294500-1303736247_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-64134200-1303736257_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-68658100-1303736267_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-09421300-1303736277_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-01798800-1303736287_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-66764600-1303736297_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-23762800-1303736316_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 4

Yeah Neil any extra stock is always welcome. The 09 would certainly be welcome a return visit. Progress is going well on deeping by the looks of it. the compound area is particularly effective.

hi all, thanks for the great comments

Hi mud, i have to admit inspiration for the trees did come from you, it kind of evolved from cutting branches off trees in my street at 2am in the morning, i wasnt sure at first but now iv bulked them up a little more they look pretty good.

Hi Cav, the compound area does look pretty good, iv recently added some scrap, sleepers and rail and little bits of of cuts from the scrap box, still a little more to add yet though.

Thanks for the comment guy, yeah i think iv cracked on with it quicker than i thought i would, i had originally planned for it to be ready just before the mansfield show next march, but i think at this rate ill be one by july, which is good because then all my money resources can go into stock.

A little update on things going on at deeping, lighting has been added to the interior and above the front entrance to the depot, this has added so much more dimension to the layout, and really has highlighted the interior better than i thought, in fact that well that there are bits that need touching up and the details making a little better.

next is to tackle the point motors which i have been putting off way to long, i recently brought some of the peco point levers with the console they go in, which will give it a signalbox type operation, hopefully my electrial skills will be upto the job.

then im going to tackle the rear right corner next to the tree line, a gate will go next to the hedging to allow access for the compound then im thinking mybe a low relief factory into the corner, i think trees across the whole of that portion will be to much

please give your thoughts or suggestions on this please laugh.gif

Cheers

Neil

Thanks jamie ill try and get some updated pics on soon, i cant take credit for the 09 and 08, there the fantastic work of my friend Cav ( RBE of this site ) he has done an amazing job on the locos and the rest of my stock will be going to him soon to have the sane treatment.

Cheers

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,well unfortunatly im unable to do any work on the layout at the moment

im currently on crutches for at least 6 weeks after having mini open surgery and decompression on my left hip.

this has left me having to use crutches to move anywhere and with the layou being upstairs its a bit of a mission.

there are a few little bits i can do like decals on the Heljan 47 and a few little detail bits to make, but at the moment its hard to sit in one position for more than 5 mins angry.gif

a little work was done at the weekend, the point motors and switchs are finally in and working well, this has been a major plus for me as iv struggleed with them for months yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

and the retaining wall at the rear is now in place and just needs detailing and weathering.

The next big thing to do is the overbridge, my plan for that is to do a modern kind of tram way, the kind you get through sheffield etc, i think this would add a little more interest than just your basic road.

The problem with this idea is sourcing the parts and trams etc, my knowledge on trams is weak to say the least so if any one acan help that would be great.

well bac k to the pain killers and boring tv

Cheers

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

Not good that you are not very mobile and then can't stay in one position for long!

Doesn't work out too well for the modelling then!

Hopefully you shall start to get back to normal shortly and be able to get some more modelling done.

All the best.