DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Thanks class66 and chris, im happy you both like the layout and with all the positive feedback this layout is getting, and its still not finished, im glad you think iv done hughs plan proud, iv been a great admirer of all his plans and everytime he posts one i wanna build it, and he has a great sense of space and were things go for smaller layouts, then its just a matter of tweeking things to make it your own, thanks hugh for the inspiration.

i have learnt alot building this layout, mostly with the dcc side of things and finally learning how to wire lights and point motors, electrics are not my strong point and moving to dcc was a big thing to me, but now iv done i wont look back, in fact all the stock that wont take a chip or cant be converted has gone to my fathers dc shed layout, were i know they will get run and looked after.

some picture updates should be on today just got to get me and my crutches upstairs laugh1.gif

Cheers

Neil

I suspect that there weren't many fire safety inspections made at your old place!! i wonder if its still like that now?

You're probably right on the inspections front (I once opened another fire exit to find about 20ft of the yard behind filled with shopping trolleys right up to the doors themselves, and no way to move them without going around the building) - as for closing and locking it may have had some sort of returning arm fitted but I couldn't swear to it. As for being like that now, the place was flattened a few years back - I think there's a Chinese takeaway there now.

Neil - looking forward to seeing some more pics, I've enjoyed watching this one come together.

well you havent had to wait long ragtag, thanks for the great comments.

i have done a little work today, adding some greenery in places and adding the dustbins, and then fitted a chip to my 09 and had to have a play around for a while and then got carried away with the camera.

i have had an issue with a Bachmann chip i brought, its a 8pin 2 function, i have had it in a Bachmann 20 and a Bachmann 57 and both locos sound really noisy while running, as im not very experianced with dcc is this a problem with the chip or the locos, should i send the chip back or is it some sort of setting i cant access through my current controller????.

anyway here are some pics

post-6696-0-05230000-1307021747_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-74015000-1307021764_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-04921600-1307021801_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-01027000-1307021822_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-75363400-1307021856_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-37254400-1307021876_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-06274200-1307021894_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-98091600-1307021911_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-28099100-1307021930_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-06606300-1307021948_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-51058100-1307021965_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-73237900-1307021984_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-90008900-1307022015_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-04562900-1307022040_thumb.jpg

hope theses are ok

Cheers

Neil

• Like 3

I have that problem with my Bachmann powered 90 on its Hornby chip. Its very growly and kinda judders a bit at low speed. Horrid. I think its the cheaper chips when used on some locos. For instance the chip in the 90 was in my baccy 20 before which ran like a dream. Weird stuff. Id try it in a few locos til it works then get slightly better chips for the others.

Cav

yeah cheers cav, i think im going to put it the 33, that always runs nicely and see what happens, i think ill look at some other chips instead, that was the cheapest chip i found, not always the best.

Cheers

Neil

Dont worry mate i havent done it, i will give that a miss, it may get better with time i dont know, all i know is i may stick with the TCS T1's, little bit more expensive but run lovely.

Hi bluemoon jon and thank you for the lovely comments, i like that picture too, one of my faves, only thing that i have noticed is the fencing, i havent stained the posts or painted the wire, think thats a job for tomorrow afternoon, i may just run some really thinned brown paint doen the posts so it highlights the grain and paint the wire in grey and then add a little light rusting.

i also think i need to pay a little more attention to the trees on the backscene, they still look a little flat in the photo with the 47 down the side of the shed, think they need bulking up a fair bit, they may even come off and redone, i think it would look cool if they over hung the siding slightly, not sure yet.

Cheers

Neil

alsmost forgot, after a chat with cav and myself not thinking about it very well, i may try and put some photo backscenes in, i think definatly above the line on the bridge to give that seen some depth and probably at the rear above the gates and to the right hand side around those gates too, i should have listened in the first place biggrin.gif

just gotta find the right backscenes that will fit nicely.

Cheers

Neil

Hi all, well my backscenes have arrived today, and i have ordered a woodland scenics tree kit, i havent been happy with the trees at the back of the depot, and the pictures i have taken recently have made my mind up to remove them and then fit the backscenes and then refit the new trees so they hang over the path a little, in hindsite i should done the backscenes before fitting the buildings in place, but as iv said before this is still a learning curve and what looks good at the start doesnt always mean it will look good towards the end and i think this will give the layout a whole new dimension, well thats if i dont cock the fitting of them up laugh1.gif

so im off with prints in hand and not alot of confidence in what im about to attempt, but fingers crossed and luck on my side i think i can crack it.......i hope laugh1.gif

The next update could be of a grown man on his knees, head in his hands and a pile of wood, plastic and wires lay all around him unsure.gif

Cheers

Neil

Ok well here goes, iv done the backscenes, im still a little unsure, but i think its improved things, so ill put it to the masses and see if its a win or a loss.

post-6696-0-50072400-1307196578_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-58959100-1307196596_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-89733700-1307196613_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-79755300-1307196631_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-09370900-1307196649_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-40250300-1307196668_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-27780100-1307196686_thumb.jpg

please be gentle

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Thanks Mike, im so glad you think its come out ok, it can be hard some times to be positive about your own work, especially when its something you have tried for the first time, I always get that kick when i see someone elses layout and think that could work on mine and then your mind gets ticking.

Thanks again mike

Neil

Neil that is a million times better. I might have to take a look at the gaugemaster backscenes for my extension. Im considering a custom made one looking down a big yard though for one end of mine. Are you pleased with your new look?

Cav

Hi guys, and wow i didnt expect that such a good response thank you guys

Cav, i have to thank you for making my mind up on it, i should have listened to you in the first place laugh.gif, and yeah i am pleased with it, few little bits to tidy up and trees to build to make the scene complete.

thanks jon and chris, looking at it, it really does add a sense of location now and the layout looks like its part of the scenery in a bigger world, i think the backscenes have added everything i hoped it would and you guys have confirmed it for me.

Thanks again

Neil

Hi crisis, thanks for the good comments, Pilot road was the boxfile featured in model rail, unfortuanatly it got taken to bits, i took the figures off for charlie street and then we moved house and the point dowells got damaged and broke the points in the process so sadly it got broken up, that shot was pretty cool, i will look for the original for you i should have it on a disk somewhere and ill try and PM it you if thats ok

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil.

I also think the backscene looks great on your layout. I have just fitted the same one onto mine. They are really good quality aren't they.

Your layouts looking quite finished now. Whats next on your list of jobs?

Dave

Hi dave, and thanks for the kind comments, the backscenes are great arnt they and easy to handle and cut, iv still got one section left so they go a fair way too which is a bonus.

The layout is probably about 85% complete i think, next is the trees to replace the ones taken off and then details like people, vehicles, and little cameos, got some cool little plans for that, also things like pallets, barrels, and general yard clutter.

also i want to get the trestles that the layout will eventually permantly sit on at home and exhibitions.

Then its a matter of getting my head around the dynamis that iv just brought and then concentrating on more stock, locos and a couple of new wagons and then getting them all off to Cav ( RBE ) to get them detailed and weathered, in fact id like to thank CAV for all his help and tips and advice, i met him this year at the mansfield exhibition with his fantastic Outon Road and he has been a source of inspiration and my constant rambling text messages laugh1.gif but he has helped me progress into dcc and take my modelling to the next level so thanks mate, look forward to members day and Outon road.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Grimley, its a pleasure coming from you too as iv admired alot of your work since becoming a member of this site so thanks for nice comment

Cheers

Neil

Hi all, did a little bit of work today, mostly tidying a few little niggly areas, firstly i gave the fence posts around the car park on the front of the layout a little wash of thinned down brown and went around the fence wire with a permanent marker to take the brass wire look away.

post-6696-0-63841700-1307302412_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-65444500-1307302430_thumb.jpg

and then sorted the pathway at the side of the factory with a little brown and grey ballast and some greenery and a security fence to stop the local yobs, i may get some clutter like an old bike thrown over the fence for detail

post-6696-0-88679400-1307302790_thumb.jpg

and then a little greenery at the other end of the factory and over the wall.

post-6696-0-41093700-1307302849_thumb.jpg

trees and cctv cameras should be here tomorrow so a little more to get done, really should get my stock sorted and chipped next.

NEIL

• Like 1