Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I don't think that there is any mystery about this - the maroon Westerns were painted in standard coaching stock maroon - which is known by many and various names nowadays.

The intention was that they matched their trains.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I've agonised on this regarding the painting of my coaches and more recently a Farish Western. My conclusion is that when you look at real locos and stock in service there is no 'correct' shade of maroon. I've seen several mid 60s photos of trains where the individual coaches in the same train are not the same shade and also one of a maroon Western pulling a maroon train where the loco shade doesn't match the train. Often it seems to fade to a slightly lighter, redder shade which I find quite pleasing... until it gets a bit out of hand with the last few locos to retain maroon.

In other photos it seems to have turned almost purple, although in this case it could be the film because there are no other maroon things in the same shot for comparison.

Anyways, after doing several coaches in Precision maroon straight from the tin (which my subjective judgement says is a bit dark), I mixed in some red before painting the Western and was very pleased with the result.

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

Hi,

If you'll excuse the plug - readers of this thread may be interested to know that I've just firmed up my order for a limited edition of the Dapol Western for Lord and Butler Cardiff.

This will be D1009 Western Invader in the original maroon with pale yellow buffer beams and stocks.

There will be a run of 200 although we will be renaming a few with appropriate names.

I don't think there has been a rtr model of a western in this guise since the Lima one of Pathfinder so hopefully there should be plenty of interest despite the brief lifespan of this livery.

Hi,

If you'll excuse the plug - readers of this thread may be interested to know that I've just firmed up my order for a limited edition of the Dapol Western for Lord and Butler Cardiff.

This will be D1009 Western Invader in the original maroon with pale yellow buffer beams and stocks.

There will be a run of 200 although we will be renaming a few with appropriate names.

I don't think there has been a rtr model of a western in this guise since the Lima one of Pathfinder so hopefully there should be plenty of interest despite the brief lifespan of this livery.

Hi Adrian,

That sounds like a good move and I'm sure it will be a sell out. In the interests of accuracy you just need to bear in mind how the yellow was actually applied to the bufferbeams, the precise details of which you'll find in 'Part One' of the livery info I've linked to in post #558 above. The Swindon built locos with yellow bufferbeams were all the same, but the five Crewe built examples had variations which although only slight, were very noticable when fresh out of the shops.

Any particular reason why you're going for 'Invader'...?

;)

Hi Nidge,

I've trawled all the books for the livery details and the detail variation of this one and found the BSS no. for the yellow hidden away in one of Adrian Curtis' books.

We'll obviously restrict any renames to the Swindon examples. Why Invader? - although not in this livery, Pathfinder, Talisman and Venturer have, or are being done recently -

Harrier sounds like an aircraft and Stalwart a bit well.. warty. Besides, I just liked the name!

Hi Nidge,

I've trawled all the books for the livery details and the detail variation of this one and found the BSS no. for the yellow hidden away in one of Adrian Curtis' books.

We'll obviously restrict any renames to the Swindon examples. Why Invader? - although not in this livery, Pathfinder, Talisman and Venturer have, or are being done recently -

Harrier sounds like an aircraft and Stalwart a bit well.. warty. Besides, I just liked the name!

That BSS number for the early yellow is also in J.K. Lewis's book 'The Western's Hydraulics', along with all the other relevant paint codes ;)

Can't fault your choice of D1009! Pathfinder would be very slightly different anyway with it's white window pillars, unique among the maroon Westerns, the rest of which had grey / off white pillars.

I had a look at the CAD images printed in the latest issue of Model Rail today and even though we've already seen them here in all their glory in this thread, somehow seeing them on paper makes it all the more real... I can't wait to get my stickey mitts on the finished article now.... B)

• RMweb Premium
D1009 Western Invader in the original maroon with pale yellow buffer beams and stocks.

I don't think there has been a rtr model of a western in this guise since the Lima one of Pathfinder

Hornby released a weathered Pathfinder in this livery not too many years ago with the pancake motor. Ironically mine is now withdrawn thanks to the Dapol ones becoming available.

This is a bit OT but I was browsing Hattons' website this evening and was surprised to see that I could pre-order a Farish Western (Western Champion in maroon w/SYP) for only £81.14. Yes, that's £81.14. From the picture supplied, it appears to be the same old Poole tooling we've all come to love and enjoy:

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

Now, since I could pre-order the new Dapol Western we're all drooling over for just 2 quid more (also from Hattons'), let me be the first one to ask the Bachmann folks in Barwell who might happen to read this thread: Do you actually think anyone is going to buy your Farish Western?

In all seriousness, re-issuing that old model in the face of what we all legitimately expect will be an overwhelmingly superior Western model from Dapol, and for almost the same price to boot, strikes me as being as daft as making N gauge British outline buses to 1:160 scale. I just don't understand why Bachmann has decided to waste capital (regardless of how little) to re-issue that model when the Dapol is so clearly going to be a better value for money for the consumer. I know the tooling was amortized years ago but the Farish Western is no cash-cow when nobody is buying them.

I wonder how long it will take before they are heavily discounted? When they are they might be a good source for spare parts...

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

There are probably a certain percentage of buyers who won't differentiate? :scratchhead:

Yes. Unfortunately, this percentage is comprised of well-intentioned wives at birthday and Christmas time... :umbrage:

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

<snip>"Do you actually think anyone is going to buy your Farish Western?" and "I just don't understand why Bachmann has decided to waste capital (regardless of how little) to re-issue that model when the Dapol is so clearly going to be a better value for money for the consumer"

Matt

I suspect it comes down to availability. There are a lot of places where you can't buy Dapol but can buy Farish (i.e. ModelZone). So if Dapol think it is worth producing a new Western then it must be worth Farish catching the coat tails and flogging some to those who don't know better.

Sad, but business.

Luke

• RMweb Premium

Now, since I could pre-order the new Dapol Western we're all drooling over for just 2 quid more (also from Hattons'), let me be the first one to ask the Bachmann folks in Barwell who might happen to read this thread: Do you actually think anyone is going to buy your Farish Western?

Matt

I can see a few reasons why people might buy the farish version actually, first of all they can get it to market pretty quickly it's just a case of planning a production slot, the Dapol version I don't think we will see until this time next year at the earliest, despite Dave saying the 00 version could be out in May, there is no way that will happen so that pushes everything else back.

Also how many people actually know Dapol are doing an n gauge western? It wasn't in their catalogue when announced last year and there are many modellers who just don't use the Internet, at least not for websites such as rmweb, so unless they are searching around trying to find this information then I'm sure there are many n gauge modellers that haven't got a clue about this forthcoming loco, and any coverage in the magazines was a long time ago now and I bet it can confuse things further if any news/updates are in the same article as the 00 version. I personally often look back at catalogues from the previous year or two to see what I'm still waiting for that I want to buy, but as it isn't in the Dapol catalogue people who don't use the Internet will either forget it was announced, or think they must have imagined it!

Cheers, Richard

I for one will be suprised to see the Dapol western released by may.

If it was confirmed at this date then i would hold of getting a replacement Heljan one as done As D1013 and having to modify the baseball cap effect again and the lights are next to useless on dc.

Heres thou to awaiting news.

richard.

• RMweb Premium

It has been in news letter's and confirmed at open day if memory serves me right. I thought it was in the last catalogue, but stand corrected on that.

But how many of Dapol's customers are members of their club? I'm not disputing the fact that it will arrive one day but just pointing out that I don't think it is a well known fact that Dapol are doing an n gauge western outside of the likes of rmweb and the Dapol club. It s missing from what should be the main reference point for customers, the catalogue, however I presume it will be in the new 2012 catalogue whenever that is released.

Compare this to the farish blue Pullman for example, and whilst most of the talk has been about the 00 version, I would expect the majority of N modellers know about it because it is in the catalogue and any customer can go into a shop and find that information from the catalogue, whereas for the western they can't unless the retailer is upto speed with what has and hasn't been announced and given the announcement was almost a year and a half ago I wouldn't be surprised if many had forgotten the western announcement by now!

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I for one will be suprised to see the Dapol western released by may.

If it was confirmed at this date then i would hold of getting a replacement Heljan one as done As D1013 and having to modify the baseball cap effect again and the lights are next to useless on dc.

Heres thou to awaiting news.

richard.

See post #315

Cheers, Richard

• RMweb Premium

What are the odds on this batch ending up in the bargain bin rather quickly as folk hold off awaiting the Dapol version? Personally I am reluctant to part with £80 (VAT-free) for a Heljan when the Dapol looks to be such a worthy model and comes without a baseball cap! On the other hand if they reach £50 I might reconsider just how many Westerns I need ;)