Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Any updates on what has been a all quite on the western front week.

This really is a much eaglely awaited product to replace my Heljan fleet.

richard.

Well, the West Coast Eagles beat Greater Western Sydney by 90 points in the AFL on Sunday!!!!! :no: :no:

Cheers from Oz, Peter C.

Though I already have an slightly older second hand 52 "Western" in my collection (same scale, N/2mm, but from the "other" people if you catch my drift) I have thought about getting a second one as they are my main favourite of all the diesel hydraulics of the western region.

So to hear that there is progress in the developmental stage of the model is indeed good news, but I know these things cannot be rushed, it takes time and precision. However I for one look forward to seeing the final article.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmmmmmm, DEMU might be interesting ;-)

Hmmmmmmmmmm yes

2BIL 2HAL 2NOL 4SUB 4COR

best bet 2BIL and 4SUB 4LAV might give best options for future?????

2NOL probably not as withdrawn earlier

Although 2HAL can give other units

4COR would be interesting!

(other similar front available as a pullman)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmmmmmmmm yes

2BIL 2HAL 2NOL 4SUB 4COR

best bet 2BIL and 4SUB 4LAV might give best options for future?????

2NOL probably not as withdrawn earlier

Although 2HAL can give other units

4COR would be interesting!

(other similar front available as a pullman)

Read as EMU

DEMU even better Thumpers

Brought up on Reading to Redhill line So all the above

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking for something else, I've seen that Hattons's website includes four Western for pre-order at £110. They appear to be pristine versions of the Kernow MRC weathered limited editions as they are advertised as carrying the same names and liveries: e.g. D1068 in BR Blue here: http://www.ehattons.com/53216/Dapol_Model_Railways_4D100001_Class_52_diesel_D1068_Western_Reliance_in_BR_blue_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx

Are they also limited editions, or do they replace or are in addition to the original four locos announced by Dapol (and still shown on Hattons website at least)?

I've already pre-ordered a Maroon SYP loco but I may need to change it depending on the configuration of the bodywork (opening or fixed engine room panel and the presence or not of headboard clips) in that livery.

DapolDave I trust you will update us as soon as you can on such things, so we can make more educated pre-order choices - please.

Hi guys

First EP is confirmed as being in the air tommorrow chaps, so it's looking very promising for DEMU.

However, i have been down this route before, so i will confirm receipt as soon as its on my desk.

cheers

Dave

• Like 11

It certainly is Andy....! Now it's here in fully formed 3D, the work that has gone into it shows up so well.... the subtle shapes and details look very well balanced to me and I can hardly wait to see it in fully painted guise. I think I've decided what the missus will be buying me for my next birthday... :imsohappy:

Just noticed something though - the buffer heads look an odd shape.... is it my tired eyes or a blip in the photo...? (Not being deliberately picky here, far from it, and I know it's still the first EP, it's just that I've been looking at these beautiful machines since I was eight years old and the buffers caught my eye straight away!)

• Like 1

Just noticed something though - the buffer heads look an odd shape.... is it my tired eyes or a blip in the photo...? (Not being deliberately picky here, far from it, and I know it's still the first EP, it's just that I've been looking at these beautiful machines since I was eight years old and the buffers caught my eye straight away!)

Having looked at the original snaps I think it's a combination of the two things Nidge; the buffers are slightly squared in shape and the lighting on the right-hand buffer bleaches out a little above and below exaggerating the effect a little too.

I'm sure Dave can give the real ones a very close look when he's back in the office anyway.

• Like 2

Guest oldlugger

Hello Andy,

It does look very promising, although the buffers seem to be the wrong shape, and will a solid front fairing be supplied for the buyer to fit? Talking of the fairing it appears to be almost vertical rather than slightly inclined inwards as per the real machine.

All the best

Simon

• Like 1

Having looked at the original snaps I think it's a combination of the two things Nidge; the buffers are slightly squared in shape and the lighting on the right-hand buffer bleaches out a little above and below exaggerating the effect a little too.

I'm sure Dave can give the real ones a very close look when he's back in the office anyway.

First attempt at posting this vanished into the ether...!

I dare say it looks superb in the flesh Andy, and the photos posted so far are more than enough to make me put a stop to buying anymore distracting non WR items. If I hadn't already had something on today I'd have nipped along to Burton to have a proper look myself and to say hello, the same goes for tomorrow too as a long planned photo expedition of old WR haunts with a work mate takes priority since our days off have at last coincided. Mind you, since our little jaunt takes us past Swindon Museum it wouldn't hurt to pop in and get my name down for a Desert Sand beastie, providing of course they haven't all been snapped up!

I'm absolutely tickled pink to see this long awaited model break cover... well done Dave & Co, it looks like you've done us proud once again, the D63xx was a beauty and this is a fine follow up....... now then, where did I put that tin of 'Laira Blue'...?

;O) x10!

Edited by Rugd1022