Home of 0 gauge GWR Railcar.

5Bel

Hi All,

As well as building my 4mm electrics I also build 7mm stuff for people. This is a Gateneal/Home of 0 gauge GWR Streamlined railcar. I am building it for Jon Penn of Diggle, Halebarns and Westport fame. The kit as it came to me had no instructions, warped roof halves and a motor bogie design that was impossible to get working. I have cut a hole in the floor and used a Mashima 1824 driving a Roxey 13:1 gearbox, driving one axle. This is enough to move it along nicely. The kit is over 20 years old and is quite a challenge. Apart from big gaps in the roof, I think it captures the look of the real thing quite well. The resin cab ends are quite nice, but the roof halves had warped quite badly. I straightened them by immersing them in boiling water and bending them back to straight. Here are some pics.

post-7006-0-09645200-1300442739_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-43833600-1300442768_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-32850200-1300442787_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-77208300-1300442813_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-41088000-1300442837_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-77040700-1300442863_thumb.jpg

I am probably going to double the body weight in filler by the time it is finished!! It will be finished in GWR chocolate and cream as per mr Penns' wishes. I can't help thinking how nice this would look in Bulleid green with yellow stripes!! There are whitemetal seats provided with the kit but as there are no instructions, I don't have a clue where they should be located. If there are any GWR railcar experts out there, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now, Ian

Guest dilbert

Which of the 1st generation AEC Railcars are you building ?

C.W. Judge's Great Western Railcars (ISBN 0 86093 139 0) gives details on the internal arrangements for :

N° 1

N°s 2-4

N°s 5-9 & 13-16

N°s 10-12

the above having different seating layouts with/without WC facilities dependent on the railcar... dilbert

Hi All,

Kenton, I have seen the webpage you mention, it's given me some of the basic info I need. Dilbert, it will be built as one of the lavatory fitted railcars. Thanks to both of you for the pointers, I will try to look up the books on Amazon.

Thanks again, Ian.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Here is a quick update on the Railcar. After what seems like ages I have finally got around to working on it again. The body has now been painted using car aerosols and I think they have come out OK. The chassis has been completed and the unit has already had a trial run at it's new home on the Diggle, Halebarns and Westport Railway. Here are some photos of it so far.

post-7006-0-81841100-1314198133.jpg

post-7006-0-47602600-1314198162.jpg

post-7006-0-48112400-1314198197.jpg

post-7006-0-75280400-1314198219.jpg

I need to tidy up the black line at cantrail level, then it's out with the Fox lining to complete the body. Thanks to Nick Davies I have got a plan of the interior so it can be finished.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Evening 5bel,

That really looks like it was a challenging project, but you've done a fantastic job with it.

Personally, I much prefer the shape of this streamlined railcar to the later razors edge ones. I bet the one you've got there would look great in blood and custard.

That's very nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of the interior.

Your thread has also highlighted the oft overlooked benefits of working with very old kits, once you address the limitations of the older models (if they can be overcome) you can end up with something unusual or unique

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. The Railcar is finished all bar touching up some lining and fitting the handrails on the ends. The interior was completed using the diagram Nick Davies sent me. Using the white metal seats has certainly added weight to the model, even if I did have to chop them down quite a bit!! Here are some pics.

post-7006-0-07110300-1315478717.jpg

post-7006-0-18653700-1315478772.jpg

post-7006-0-44098300-1315478798.jpg

post-7006-0-85733000-1315478849.jpg

I still have to fit the cab bulkheads which are painted and ready to put in place. I agree with iL Dottore in that old kits can be very rewarding when (and if) you can overcome their shortcomings. I am pleased with the result, but I will say this has been the worst kit I have built yet. I seem to be asked to build "difficult" kits, but at least they test my modelling skills and you do learn new techniques whilst doing so. One day someone might ask me to build a kit where everything fits!! Hopefully it will be performing shuttles on Diggle and Halebarns by the end of the month.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just as a way to finish the topic, here are a couple of photos of the railcar in it's new home on the Diggle and Halebarns Railway.

post-7006-0-66734100-1316251700.jpg

post-7006-0-54674000-1316251741.jpg

It had a good run last night and it's new owner is very pleased with his new aquisition.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• 2 years later...

5Bel

Just a quickie, I managed to locate one of these kits at the GOG Summer show at Cleckheaton.

I am in the process of cleaning up and reassembling as i go as it had dried flux all over it.

When I finally get onto a PC i will post some pictures.

Cheers

Bob Lawrence

Hi Bob,

Good luck with the kit, you have a challenge on your hands. As you can see though it does result in a good model. I had quite a bit of reshaping of the roof to undertake but this was easily done with hot water and some patience. The cab ends are a really good moulding. It would be nice to see this kit updated as it is an ideal prototype for a small layout. If you need any advice feel free to ask.

Cheers for now, Ian

Is this bending of the resin roof likely to manifest itself later on after the kit is built thus ruining a good model or will the fixing help prevent that. I have to say I have never been a fan of resin

Paul R

Hi Paul,

Once it is glued in place I don't think there will be any problems. The kit I had was stored in a very damp cold environment, so that probably had a lot to do with the warping. I am not a fan of resin either but I don't think there is a way to capture the look of these units any other way.

Cheers for now, Ian

Archived