New links for ex-Fotopic collections

keefer

• RMweb Premium

Given the recent problems with Fotopic, a few people have already or will shortly be moving their collections to other sites.

So how about posting the new links here so that they're all easily found in one spot? (saves multiple threads throughout the forum too)

Perhaps just put the old fotopic name and provide the new link.

We all know how useful the Fotopic sites were for reference, many members had collections there and i'm sure we've all referred to them at some point, so this is just an idea to make everyone aware of where they have gone.

Maybe the only 'conditions' being members post their own link once they've definitely moved and (esp. if it's a link for a site from someone not connected to RMWeb) make sure the link won't cause problems for those access it from here?

I've checked this with Andy Y and he has agreed to sticky this if it takes off.

• Like 4

Dear all

Thanks for some of the guestbook messages, all gratefully recieved.

I am moving my site to Zenfolio. It is about a quarter done so far - tedious. But it has advantages over fotopic. It is better structured - using the sub groups that BR used for its fleet statistics. This is preferable to using TOPS codes as they altered considerably with time. At the moment the Departmental collections will only have stock built new for the engineers but Zenfolio allows very easy duplication of pictures in different collections - this can be seen now with some of the locomotive photographs. ALSO, when I still have high resolution scans I am not using the low c100kb scans as on the fotopic site, but those of c500kb which appear to give a good resolution and are not too slow to download.

The new front page is http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/

Or direct to the wagon photographs

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagons

And to the other railway related collections http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsotherrailwayphotographs

Enjoy

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

My photos - Daves Railway Archive, Daves East Midlands Railway Archive and the others are moving to flickr, at :

http://www.flickr.co...os/davidwf2009/

So far about a third of them are there, the rest will follow as soon as I can reattach the captions.

More will be added in due course.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My fotopic site British Rail through the 70's and 80's has been moved to Zenfolio...approx 2000 photos moved so far,

the link can be found here HERE

The very popular accident photos previously at fotopic on "Control we have a problem" are also in the process of being moved to Zenfolio approx 1/3 uploaded so far and they can be found HERE.

In both cases there are an awful lot of captions to retype as these are lost to fotopic. :(

Because of the problems with fotopic my website The rise and fall of cross country services to and from Brighton

is largely bereft of photos until I change all the links to zenfolio.

Please take a look and see what you think.

• Like 1

My fotopic site British Rail through the 70's and 80's has been moved to Zenfolio...approx 2000 photos moved so far,

the link can be found here HERE

The very popular accident photos previously at fotopic on "Control we have a problem" are also in the process of being moved to Zenfolio approx 1/3 uploaded so far and they can be found HERE.

In both cases there are an awful lot of captions to retype as these are lost to fotopic. :(

Because of the problems with fotopic my website The rise and fall of cross country services to and from Brighton

is largely bereft of photos until I change all the links to zenfolio.

Please take a look and see what you think.

Have you tried the Google cache for your pages? Some comments may be recoverable - although this works for comments from other people, I am not sure for those that you have added as "Story".

Paul Bartlett

If you embed any captions in the photo EXIF, most galleries these days will be able to extract such and save having to retype. It's good protocol anyway for future generations who may wish to analyse old material. Many magazine publishers like The Railway Magazine etc demand this as standard with submitted material.

http://www.exif.org/

There is plenty of freeware that will allow you to do such.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried the Google cache for your pages? Some comments may be recoverable - although this works for comments from other people, I am not sure for those that you have added as "Story".

Paul Bartlett

Yes I have tried the cache method, however our webfurher......sorry webmarshall at work bars access although it allowed access to Fotopic! I will have to spend sometime at home doing it. Once I managed to come across the webpages that store all the captions, cant find it now.

PS Have linked to your Zenfolio site from mine.

Regards

Andy

Yes I have tried the cache method, however our webfurher......sorry webmarshall at work bars access although it allowed access to Fotopic! I will have to spend sometime at home doing it. Once I managed to come across the webpages that store all the captions, cant find it now.

PS Have linked to your Zenfolio site from mine.

Regards

Andy

Andy - thanks, I haven't investigated linking

ANYONE - have you got a Zenfolio Referral code - If so please let me have it - will save you some money, and me!

And my referral code is YDA-98Z-BBZ if anyone wants to send some cash my way!

Paul Bartlett

It's a pity that we all seem to be going in different directions but, at least for the time being, I've joined the Flickr camp :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/

There are plenty of other railway pictures on there and I have already linked my site to various others. However, it will take me a while to re-upload and re-caption some 8,000 pictures, so it is very much a case of work in progress...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As resources seem to be getting dispersed around the web, can I add a plea for "searchability" in the new sites - make sure captions/descriptions are filled in with what detail you have, and check spelling of place names and other terms that are likely to be searched.

Still deciding what to do with the meagre selection I had on fotopic. Think I'll do some proper EXIF captioning of what's on my hard drive first (thanks to Chris Nevard above for the EXIF heads-up)

• RMweb Premium

My prototype photos are now at http://www.flickr.co...03/collections/ - if anyone is bookmarking, I recommend you only bookmark this page of collections (or an individual set), and not the individual collections [ there will later be others, not all rail/model related ], because I've discovered that if I accidentally add a set to the wrong collection, the only way to correct it is to delete and recreate the collection. Unlike when they were on fotopic, the 2008 narrow-gauge sets have been resized to a sane size for viewing, and the exif data should be complete.

Captions should follow later, but I've already spent far too long doing the uploading this week (/me really misses being able to use ftp to upload).

Share and enjoy, or complain to /dev/null B)

ĸen

• 3 weeks later...

Finally my Flickr site contains most of the images from my old fotopic site. And there are also some new ones.

it can be found here and there are 1400+ images to have a look at. I've not finished grouping them yet but all have a brief description.

So go and have a butchers. Flickr Site