Menasha WI

Bagpuss

The Menasha topic was getting buried on the Layouts forum so I'm starting a new one here that might be easier to find.

The initial development of the layout was described on the old RMweb.

Following on from Chris' post about the February work weekend, we've been getting ready for our appearance at Sheffield exhibition this coming weekend. Several of Charles' superb fall trees have been planted to hide awkward corners. This photo gives an idea of how big they are. With the electricity pylons and tall buildings there's a definite vertical element to the layout.

post-3560-0-52667100-1301442424_thumb.jpg

Chris' S-4 in Nekoosa Papers livery poses above some of the vegetation we've added to the canal bank. Mike's having an ongoing battle with the varnish used to represent the water. The latest problem is rippling as the last coat dried. It sounds like it would help the effect but the jury's out.

post-3560-0-59449000-1301443134_thumb.jpg

Some of the newly added road-signs are visible in this shot of GP-30 713 switching Pechiney Plastics.

post-3560-0-63588800-1301443121_thumb.jpg

As might be obvious, these were my first attempts at photographing the layout. I've got a lot to learn to emulate Bill's (YankeeRailroader) standards. Sounds like an excuse for more practice.

If you're at Sheffield this weekend, come and see if we've worked out the operating sequence. How can it be so complex when we only run 3 trains?

This year, we will also be appearing at:

• Derby - 14th-15th May
  • Eurospoor, Utrecht - 28th - 30th October
  • Warley - 19th - 20th November
  • Wakefield - 25th - 27th November

Looks like we'll be clocking up a few miles.

Nice to see Menasha again, I remember it from the old RMweb.

Ditto.... I was trying to remember it's name only the other week (really should pay more attention!!). :unsure:

Looks like I'm going to have to get to Warley this year, now.... :rolleyes: ;)

• 1 month later...

We're at Derby exhibition this weekend, which sounds like an excuse for a couple more pictures:

post-3560-0-69222800-1305233563_thumb.jpg

Ex-Algoma Central GP38-2 2002 crosses the diamond leading to the US Papers mill as she comes off the swing bridge with train Y1863 returning from Menasha.

post-3560-0-80920900-1305233885_thumb.jpg

The tail end of Y1863 crosses the bridge as it heads for Neenah yard.

In response to a query on the Derby exhibition thread, please excuse this photo of map-liveried GP40-2 3026 taken a couple of years ago while the layout was still under construction.

post-3560-0-70788900-1305834225_thumb.jpg

It's an Atlas model, repainted by Chris using full body-side decals from Scale Rail Graphics. Unfortunately Scale Rail Graphics are no longer producing decals. Chris became friendly with Bill Priepke, who ran the company, while working in Wisconsin in 2000. He's made good use of Bill's range on several of the locos and cars to be seen on Menasha and, I'm happy to say, he's done 3026 for me as well.

Guest jonte

We're at Derby exhibition this weekend, which sounds like an excuse for a couple more pictures:

post-3560-0-69222800-1305233563_thumb.jpg

Ex-Algoma Central GP38-2 2002 crosses the diamond leading to the US Papers mill as she comes off the swing bridge with train Y1863 returning from Menasha.

post-3560-0-80920900-1305233885_thumb.jpg

The tail end of Y1863 crosses the bridge as it heads for Neenah yard.

Excellent shots of the track, Bagpuss. Like you say, it really is excellent; nicely weathered too - any hints?

Best wishes,

Jonte

Thanks Jonte. It's just sprayed with appropriate colours from an aerosol (sleeper grime I believe), then carefully ballasted with a mixture of granite chippings and sand. Further waftings with a fairly pale brown aerosol (some sort of earth shade) blended it all together. There's no great science to it. If it looks right, it probably is.

One thing we did do was dispense with the usual rail joiners and use these plastic ones intended for 4mm from Exactoscale. They fit perfectly on code 83 rail and look the part. With the track glued firmly down and ballasted, we've had no trouble with rail alignment at joints. Raises a few eyebrows if you tell them why you want them when buying at Scaleforum though :)

In response to a query on the Derby exhibition thread, please excuse this photo of map-liveried GP40-2 3026 taken a couple of years ago while the layout was still under construction.

It's an Atlas model, repainted by Chris using full body-side decals from Scale Rail Graphics. Unfortunately Scale Rail Graphics are no longer producing decals. Chris became friendly with Bill Priepke, who ran the company, while working in Wisconsin in 2000. He's made good use of Bill's range on several of the locos and cars to be seen on Menasha and, I'm happy to say, he's done 3026 for me as well.

Many thanks for the photo and notes. A really neat job of applying such a large transfer!

Guest jonte

Thanks Jonte. It's just sprayed with appropriate colours from an aerosol (sleeper grime I believe), then carefully ballasted with a mixture of granite chippings and sand. Further waftings with a fairly pale brown aerosol (some sort of earth shade) blended it all together. There's no great science to it. If it looks right, it probably is.

One thing we did do was dispense with the usual rail joiners and use these plastic ones intended for 4mm from Exactoscale. They fit perfectly on code 83 rail and look the part. With the track glued firmly down and ballasted, we've had no trouble with rail alignment at joints. Raises a few eyebrows if you tell them why you want them when buying at Scaleforum though :)

Thanks, Bagpuss. Make it sound very straightforward although I suspect there's quite an art to it!!!!

Rail joiners idea is ingenious and almost indistinguishable from the Reichart product.

Jonte

I used Scale Rail Graphics myself, for O scale Soo Line decals, as seen on the F-Unit in my avatar <-----

It was a shame they ceased trading. :(

Unfortunately Bill stopped after his Alps printer gave up. Martin and I stumbled across a load of SRG decals in Engine House Services in Green Bay 4 years ago and I should have bought some more. I don't recall them having any of the map but there has been some discussion on WC2Scale recently about commissioning someone to do another run - I have identified the map to use.

The map was a tad awkward to apply. I used Microscale Liquid Decal Film to thicken the decal before applying it and then cut round the grilles. My second attempt (Martin's)is better than the one pictured. Base colour is Railmatch concrete. I also have a model of WC3026 in N gauge which was even more awkward!

Chris

Posted Today, 22:52

Bagpuss, on 19 May 2011 - 20:55 , said:

"It's nice to find another WC afficionado. It was quite a railroad."

[i've moved these comments from the Derby show thread or they would be getting off topic.]

You're too kind calling me an afficionado! I got "into" to WC by accident. Thinking of getting into USA HO and selected a Walthers GP9M because it was the cheapest loco at Stafford show one year! Bought it and a hopper; had fun for hours watching the kadee's couple up...hadn't got a magnet to uncouple them Had a bit of luck picking up an Atlas sound SD24 at a bargain price and so it goes on... Then there's a couple of locos that I just like, but I must say the Boston & Maine RS3 in maroon and gold tones in nicely with WC colours!

My layout had to fit a rather smaller space than Menasha and is really a small switching puzzle. Not quite up to the scenic standards of Menasha, but it got into Model Train Int'l Mag #76 which was quite a thrill and made it to a couple of local shows. I called it Wisconsin Rapids before I realised there is actually a real town of that name!

Now back to drooling over the archive threads.

Posted Today, 22:52

Bagpuss, on 19 May 2011 - 20:55 , said:

"It's nice to find another WC afficionado. It was quite a railroad."

[i've moved these comments from the Derby show thread or they would be getting off topic.]

You're too kind calling me an afficionado! I got "into" to WC by accident. Thinking of getting into USA HO and selected a Walthers GP9M because it was the cheapest loco at Stafford show one year! Bought it and a hopper; had fun for hours watching the kadee's couple up...hadn't got a magnet to uncouple them Had a bit of luck picking up an Atlas sound SD24 at a bargain price and so it goes on... Then there's a couple of locos that I just like, but I must say the Boston & Maine RS3 in maroon and gold tones in nicely with WC colours!

My layout had to fit a rather smaller space than Menasha and is really a small switching puzzle. Not quite up to the scenic standards of Menasha, but it got into Model Train Int'l Mag #76 which was quite a thrill and made it to a couple of local shows. I called it Wisconsin Rapids before I realised there is actually a real town of that name!

Now back to drooling over the archive threads.

Nice to hear of other pockets of WC power in the UK. Would be interested to see photos of the layout.

I kind of got into the WC by accident too but through work. I spent a year working for Wisconsin Central in 1999-2000. My first loco was an Athearn SD45 and then I bought a Walthers GP9M. It's incredible that this is still the only model of a chop nosed first generation EMD loco available. Even the latest Athearn Genesis GP9 is high nose. Needless to say I have performed a lot of "nose jobs" on my GP7/9 fleet.

The dilemma with modelling the WC - and why we model it too - is that there are too many loco types and colour schemes. Everyone tend to think SD45 (OK they had 120 of them) but there were SW1/1200/1500's, GP7/9/30/35/35m/40's, SD24/35/40/40-2/45/45P and F45/ FP45's not to forget the SDL39's in various WC schemes, Algoma Central, FRV,SOO, CNW, Southern, colours plus SanteFe, BN and lease colours early on. Oh and I forgot the former GBW Alcos which were rostered for a while! I think I have got most of the power in most schemes. I still need to get the SDL39 working!

On Menasha we need 5 locos for our operating sequence - a Mill switcher (an Alco), 2 x GP's working singly (normally GP35/GP40 but sometimes a GP9/ GP30) for locals, and either a pair of SD45's or SD45/ F45 pairing for the Manitowoc turn. The sequence takes an hour at which point we rotate the power to add some variety.

Most of the power we have used so far is painted in WC colours (only one in FRV) primarily because it was easier to fit Tsumani's in Kato and Atlas locos than Proto (early GP's). There was a joke at at Derby about silent running on the Proto GP's. Post Derby I am looking at the power and going to add some SOO/ CNW/ Algoma Central power - GP30, GP7 and GP35 respectively. By Eurospoor/ Warley/ Wakefield all locos should be Tsunami fitted. I think my budget can run to a decoder a month.

No doubt there will be a debate on sound fitting of locos now!

Chris

What I really meant to say in post #19 was that the sound SD24 was in Fox River Valley colours. Really lucky to get a model in a rather rare minor road scheme with sound at a bargain price! Got the Athearn SD45 very cheap off eBay. Only problem is it can only just about drive on and off my small layout - hardly any room for it to switch anything more than an ore car!

In the project box I have a SW1200 in Southern Pacific colours which just begs to be turned into the ex-Cotton Belt one pictured on p46 of Dobnick & Glischinski's book. (Mine's the copy with torn cover and a couple of crumpled pages out of the SPV bargain bin at Derby one year. You could have a mint one for £xx he said. "No thanks this one at £7 will do nicely"] :rolleyes:

As you say the choice of liveries is remarkable. Picked up "In Search of WC" DVD this year at Derby and as well as the CN stuff I noted a couple of CSX's.

Sorry folks, starting to woffle. Back to stareing at the trackplan to see if I can do anything similar. All I need is TIME. haha.

My first HO scale US loco was an Athearn SD45, too!!! :rolleyes: ... and it soon got traded in for something smaller...!!

Cheshire001 - too much information - you are blowing your cover - Hi Roy, see you at TVNAM..!!! :D ;)

I too did 3026 with these decals. I also have a set of the flags to do that as well. Believe me it was a bit nerve wracking to put it on as I only had one set and it's a bit on large side in O Scale. I think I used Railmatch Pullman Cream as a base.

post-6766-0-75303700-1306184842_thumb.jpg

Cheshire001 - too much information - you are blowing your cover - Hi Roy, see you at TVNAM..!!! :D ;)

You've got room to talk with a SOO F-unit as your avatar. Dead giveaway :laugh:

Not run U.S. stuff on Tweekson before, so am going to try it on Sun. or Monday at Crewe as a test run for TVNAM. See you there. :D

Archived