Webcam at Fostoria, Ohio

Northpoint

Oh great. Another way to lose hours of my lifebiggrin.gif

Just watched a UP reefer train head west? hauled by 4 motors and a solid block of (presumably) white reefers. (Its a bit dark out there)

I'd need shares in intermountain to model the whole lot!

Thanks for posting.

• RMweb Gold

Good find, thanks for posting. I find it to be compulsive viewing, especially with the audio - it's almost like trainspotting used to be, waiting for something to happen, then hearing the horn in the distance as the train blows up for a series of grade crossings (day or night), then finally seeing it rumble across the crossing.

Brilliant!

Good find, thanks for posting. I find it to be compulsive viewing, especially with the audio - it's almost like trainspotting used to be, waiting for something to happen, then hearing the horn in the distance as the train blows up for a series of grade crossings (day or night), then finally seeing it rumble across the crossing.

Brilliant!

Glad you like it.

As I said in my original post, we must thank Chris Gilbert for having found it in the first place.

I agree about the compulsiveness - I left it open on my PC and just come into the room to see a westbound coal train, and I can hear the horns of the next train already!!

Wow!

This is brilliant! - what a find :rolleyes:

Now I can sit in my swivel chair in the train room watching real CSX trains and then turn round and watch model CSX trains

without getting off my chair, I'll become the Fat Controller in no time.;)

cheers,

Mal

Brilliant site. The sound really makes it come alive.

Swore I could hear loco horns in the distance but nothing came....

However, horns could be heard again about 10 mins later, barriers come down and a freight passes - seems to go on for ever and ever. As the first freight is passing, another comes along on the parallel track heading in the same direction. Quite a racket as both freights go over the crossing in the same direction. Bad wheel flat on one of the wagons makes a right noise; quite scary too.

The graffiti artists obviously love North American wagons. Does anyone know what the rather skeletal bogie wagons are for? Quite a number in both trains but not sure what they might carry.

Then silence again....

If I close my eyes, the sound of the vehicles going over the crossing reminded me of my youth trainspotting at Spondon, where there we also four lines across the crossing. The rhythm of the tyres over the rails was very similar.

Brilliant site. The sound really makes it come alive.

Swore I could hear loco horns in the distance but nothing came....

Re the horns in the distance - if you look at a map and see the track configuration, you will see there is another CSX north - south line which crosses both the CSX east - west line and the NS behind the camera. It could well be a train on that line.

Belive me, when you're there, you're spoilt for where to stand and enjoy the action! :D

Martin Wynne tipped me off about this site yesterday and for those of us who can't sleep at the moment it's very entertaining....

Just amazed at the number of trains running, even in the middle of the night. Looking at the number of lines that centre through Fostoria on Google Earth, I suspect residents don't get much sleep. Staggered by the noise and with the speakers cranked up my desk vibrates nicely......

House's must be dead cheap....:D

See what I mean about diamonds, Gordon..........

I'm always impressed by the sheer volume of freight covered by US railroads.

Someone mentioned "skeletal cars" you mean the Auto Trains?

Great site I only wish it was in HD.....

Best, Pete.

The skeletal wagons are probably the ones for chipboard and ply sheets that are empty, centerbeam flat cars are what they are called.

Saw a mixed train last night with 150 wagons on :blink:

Those residents just can't get any sleep. If the noise of the wheels on the trains is not enough they still blow the bl**dy horns now which I think is 06:00 in the morning! I take it Ohio is 6 hours behind us?

BNSF Warbonnet just gone by.

Those residents just can't get any sleep. If the noise of the wheels on the trains is not enough they still blow the bl**dy horns now which I think is 06:00 in the morning! I take it Ohio is 6 hours behind us?

5 hours as far as I know. My son lives in MIchigan which is 5 hours and when we were last there, that's when I went to Fostoria and didn't have to change the watches.

5 hours as far as I know. My son lives in MIchigan which is 5 hours and when we were last there, that's when I went to Fostoria and didn't have to change the watches.

Depends on whether the UK has sprung forward yet - if not 6 hours. I just took the dog for a walk and it is now 8:13am. EDST.

Slightly later another BNSF driven train on the CSX - I've been noticing a lot of western lines loco's in New Jersey, lately (@ 8:23am).

Best, Pete.

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

I'm addicted already!

The chatroom is even more fun than the trains, although I haven't a clue at some of jargon and abbreviations they're using.

You need to be a patient driver if you live in Fostoria, you could spend half your life waiting at the grade crossing.

I won't complain next time I have to wait at my local crossing watching the usual Class 66 and 20 coal hoppers.;)

cheers,

Mal

Depends on whether the UK has sprung forward yet - if not 6 hours. I just took the dog for a walk and it is now 8:13am. EDST.

Slightly later another BNSF driven train on the CSX - I've been noticing a lot of western lines loco's in New Jersey, lately (@ 8:23am).

Best, Pete.

Pete

Yes - we sprung forward last week so it is now 5 again.

You need to be a patient driver if you live in Fostoria, you could spend half your life waiting at the grade crossing.

The main roads through town are grade separated fortunately! B) They have some superb underpasses which have the original railroad names cast into them from memory.

There's a yard to the East (behind the camera) on the NS line (closest pair) - and a large grain complex to the West, yesterday evening saw a high-nose SD40-2 shoving about 10 grain hoppers and pulling 20 more past the camera...superb. B)

Archived