RMweb Marketplace

As you may have gathered I have been far from happy with the way the Market software was performing in three specific areas:

• The number of bids placed was not being correctly displayed.
  • There were payment problems with multiple items.
  • Sellers were not receiving notification emails when an item had been purchased.

Attempts were made to resolve this which proved ineffectual so a decision was made to use different software which functioned correctly. I’ve carried out quite a bit of testing over the last few days and the new software seems to handle the above a lot better!

I have written to members who had already registered to advise of the changes and the following-

The new area will now be known as RMweb Marketplace and can be found at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/marketplace

As it’s new software and a new database it will be necessary to re-register.

The existing Market software will remain open for 7 days to enable any transaction in process to be finalised. Anyone who has advertised on the old Market or made any sales will not be charged any fees.

One of the important things I’ve noted is that if you are placing multiple items on a Buy it Now type sale that you must select ‘Dutch’ as the Auction type so that you can place a quantity of greater than one for sale. You will still have control of the fixed sale price (or offers if you choose to accept them) and Dutch auction in this context does not mean that prices have to be reduced until a buyer arises (as is a common misconception about Dutch Auctions).

If you’re listing a Buy Now type sale it will be possible to pre-define if you’re prepared to accept offers and you can define the minimum and maximum ranges for that. If an offer is made which falls within that range you’ll receive a notification email from which you can act accordingly.

I’m a lot happier with this software and I hope you will be too but if any issues are spotted please don’t hesitate to let me know so I can investigate further.

The fee structure remains the same and is as follows:

End of Auction Fee - Paid by Seller 5.00%

Highlighted Item Fee GBP 1.00

Bold Item Fee GBP 0.25

Category Featured Fee GBP 1.00

Home Page Featured Fee GBP 1.50

• RMweb Gold

I have a Samsung monitor set on auto and struggle to read the white writing on the lime green background on the category featured listing. Is there any chance of a change of colour / contrast to those combinations, please?

As it’s new software and a new database it will be necessary to re-register.

Can't get past registration this time - Rather too much personal information, including some which simply should not be required, is being asked for.

Pity

including some which simply should not be required, is being asked for.

Back to the DOB question? Or phone number? I can't see any problem with anything else.

The first we have already discussed and you know how to get around that. The phone number is only disclosed to someone you carry out a transaction with.

I wouldn't want personal reluctance to dissuade prospective users from using the site because a personal perception was given but not qualified by stating which elements were a concern.

I wouldn't want personal reluctance to dissuade prospective users from using the site because a personal perception was given but not qualified by stating which elements were a concern.

Sorry Andy, should have been more specific.

What was happening was that each additional field that required information that I was not prepared to submit (as IMO not required) I was being taken back to the beginning saying that the information was required and at the same time it appeared to loose all the information already entered. That having to retype everything (other than my name) was annoying me.

Still as usual with this type of form there is a way around most things and my DoB, for example, remains private.

It is nothing specific to RMWeb but a general view that such forms have no right to collect data that is not relevant to the process they concern.

I realise that you are held ransom by the software chosen and still think Marketplace is a positive step forward. All I want now is something to come up that I'm interested in buying ;)

• RMweb Gold

For some reason it keeps rejecting me - can't be the 'not entirely accurate' information in various boxes near the top - is it because I don't enter a Paypal email address I wonder (because I haven't got one and don't want one as it happens)? What do I put in there I wonder?

It shouldn't be the Paypal address; I tested registration without it and all that means is that you can't offer it as a payment option if you're selling.

It's more likely to be the Registration PIN which is part of the registration form; sometimes it's not clear what are Os and 0s.

• RMweb Gold

It shouldn't be the Paypal address; I tested registration without it and all that means is that you can't offer it as a payment option if you're selling.

It's more likely to be the Registration PIN which is part of the registration form; sometimes it's not clear what are Os and 0s.

Thanks Andy - I have subsequently traced the problem (operator stupidity - failure to tick the 'I Agree' boxblush.gifblush.gif) and all is now well.

The main reason is to prove that that the seller or buyer can be deemed as legally responsible in honouring a contract, it's a means of proving someone is over 16 rather than just a tickbox to say they are. It's something where proof could be demonstrated if necessary.

As an aside it's interesting to note that there are several members who, shall we say, were very active in the For Sale area and have yet to register for the new site(s). rolleyes.gif

I don't think 5% is a lot to ask.

The main reason is to prove that that the seller or buyer can be deemed as legally responsible in honouring a contract, it's a means of proving someone is over 16 rather than just a tickbox to say they are. It's something where proof could be demonstrated if necessary.

"Prove" - I don't think so! As you can enter any value for this field (and we all know that the under-16's are more computer savvy than most of an older generation) I think they could get past this one.

Even if one entered the correct date in such a field there would be no way to check that it is correct (just as with nearly all the other information "required") The DoB field does not even perform some basic checks. I entered 1 Jan 1800 without any come back to say I might be dead at over 200 years old!

All the other fields can also be usurped even the email cannot be fully proven - though there would be no point in not entering that correctly if you were to take part in the Marketplace.

As an aside it's interesting to note that there are several members who, shall we say, were very active in the For Sale area and have yet to register for the new site(s). rolleyes.gif

I don't think 5% is a lot to ask.

For my own part, I haven't signed up yet as I'm broke! :lol: :)

• RMweb Gold

"Prove" - I don't think so! As you can enter any value for this field (and we all know that the under-16's are more computer savvy than most of an older generation) I think they could get past this one.

Even if one entered the correct date in such a field there would be no way to check that it is correct (just as with nearly all the other information "required") The DoB field does not even perform some basic checks. I entered 1 Jan 1800 without any come back to say I might be dead at over 200 years old!

All the other fields can also be usurped even the email cannot be fully proven - though there would be no point in not entering that correctly if you were to take part in the Marketplace.

Speaking as a '104 year old' who lives in 'Station House on a branchline' I quite agree with youlaugh.giflaugh.gif But I did enter the correct email address for the rather obvious reason you've already noted. As far as the charges/fees, or whatever you care to call them, are concerned they are far better than reasonable (not a hint!) and are going to a far better cause than any other means of online or auction selling plus you are guaranteed to be going straight to the market you are hopefully selling into and as we are among friends so to speak you can ideally set realistic prices (or take a caning on a new thread in Wheeltappers if you don't).

Archived