RMweb Marketplace

"Prove" - I don't think so!

As I said, there may be occasions when I could ask someone to prove their age if I had doubts (it goes back to comments I've made previously about *some* problem causers being under 16). If I'm suspicious, they can't prove their age and have given false information at registration I have grounds for removal. If I don't put something in to address this users could rightfully claim that I haven't been duly diligent in trying to protect other users.

It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

• RMweb Gold

"Prove" - I don't think so! As you can enter any value for this field (and we all know that the under-16's are more computer savvy than most of an older generation) I think they could get past this one.

(IMHO) It's not about proof, it's about accountability - if you say your name is Kenton then that may be the case, or may not, but if YOU use that to defraud people YOU are liable as YOU have lied.

• RMweb Gold

on the subject of login cookies Andy, yes, it seems to work if you log in using the member's area login from the blue tab, but it's not persisting, seems to last about 3 hours?

I know eBay makes you log in at least once a day but can we have the Marketplace remember us forever like the main forum?

I know eBay makes you log in at least once a day but can we have the Marketplace remember us forever like the main forum?

I'll try. The perceived wisdom seems to centre around editing the php.ini files on the server but there must be another setting which makes the Marketplace behave differently from the Community.

• RMweb Premium

I've only just clocked the marketplace, and had a quick browse of what's on offer. I've noticed that most sales include the postcode of the seller. I wonder if this is wise; it'd be nice to think the model railway community was free from petty crime, but unfortunately we know that's not the case. E-bay would only get a villain to my village, the marketplace would get them to my doorstep.

I kind of agree re the postcode. It can be edited shorter if someone so wishes, there seems to be no check on its validity.

Point taken. I've tried to make an edit to one of the files the developers recommend but it gave parsing error messages. I have made a request for further advice.

• RMweb Premium

Can i get some clarification about offers please Andy? When the software asks for a range of offers accepted does this mean it will automatically sell it for me, or does it mean it sends me the offer to review? So if set a range of £45-50 and someone offers 45 it will be sold automatically. And does the range of offers accepted appear on the auction? I didn't actually list it with an offer price as i didn't want this visible, which is what it looked like would happen with the preview.

New software seems much better though, just need to get used to it. And for someone to buy my lovely Turbostar.

Also on the home page featured items they are all listed as price X with no bids, when infact most are buy it now. Is it possilbe to have some sort of icon to make this clear, like in the main list of listings?

Point taken on the Home page items Tom; it could be clearer; I shall investigate.

If you prescribe an offer range and someone places an offer within that range you will receive an email detailing the offer. At that point you can choose to accept or decline. It's certainly more transparent than the ebay system.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the clarification Andy re the offers.

Talking of improvements over eBay how will the feedback work? Can sellers leave negative feedback for buyers (one of the things most lacking on eBay)? I know it would need you and the mods to sort out any bad spats, but it shouldn't be worse than the classifieds section i shouldn't think.

The 'reputation' system as it's referred to on this software allows the buyer to rate the seller from 1 to 5 stars and leave comments. That's fairer than a stark positive, neutral or negative choice. If a seller has problems with a buyer I can, and will, take action.

reputation.jpg

I'm sure there may be occasions where I do have to intervene!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a capability for it which I disabled until I was sure everything else was working as it should (which it is) but it still tries to levy a charge against the 'seller' which i don't think is right for swaps.

For now I would suggest using the previous wanted section stating what you have to offer by way of a swap.

Thanks for the clarification Andy re the offers.

Talking of improvements over eBay how will the feedback work? Can sellers leave negative feedback for buyers (one of the things most lacking on eBay)? I know it would need you and the mods to sort out any bad spats, but it shouldn't be worse than the classifieds section i shouldn't think.

Hiya, for what it's worth......

I think, from personal experience, the feedback system provided here is very much a valid and helpful tool.

I had a problem with a buyer on eBay recently, who, when challenged for 'circumventing official eBay rules', decided to leave me my one and only ever accrued 'Negative' !!!

I ran off to eBay and explained the problem, knowing that my version of events could be checked, but eBay refused to remove the negative on my behalf !

I explained in no uncertain terms, how unfortunate it was that a major organisation could be demonstrably co-ercing with crooks who are blatantly thieves and by doing so, ignoring their legit customers. I did have evidence of this by the way, not just adding it for effect.....

They then, STUPIDLY, sent me a customer satisfaction survey, as I had had dealings with their customer service department and wanted to know what I thought of them !!! Lets say the negative feedback suddenly dissapeared !

Anyhow, by not being able to leave bad feedback for a buyer, they have removed the ability to make other sellers aware that an individual has been problematic.

I'm sure if a 'no good' walked into your shop, you would want to decide whether you wanted him as a customer or not, but not according to eBay.

So, Andy, I think the 'reputation' system is very much worthwhile.......

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 months later...

If there are any fees due (fees are not payable until the balance goes over a certain level otherwise the Paypal share swallows it up) there will be a link saying Clear Account Balance in your members area - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/marketplace/members_area.php - just below the yellow Summary bar. If there's no link you've got no fees due yet.

If there are any fees due (fees are not payable until the balance goes over a certain level otherwise the Paypal share swallows it up) there will be a link saying Clear Account Balance in your members area - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/marketplace/members_area.php - just below the yellow Summary bar. If there's no link you've got no fees due yet.

Thanks Andy :)

• 1 month later...

I had Jim carry out a php software upgrade last night. It appears that the Marketplace is incompatible with the latest version so a software restore will be carried out; probably tonight.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Hello

Newly registered so that I can post here. I was recommended to use your Market Place as an alternative to eBay so thought I would give it a go. I placed some auctions about two weeks ago to see how it went and in the last few days have not been able to access the pages. I think they end tomorrow but if this "Fatal error: Incompatible file format: The encoded file has format major ID 1, whereas the Loader expects 4 in /home/rmwebco/public_html/marketplace/includes/init.php on line 0" continues no-one will be able to bid, that is if anyone is interested of course! I certainly wish anyone well who is trying to compete with eBay, especially if it is railway modelling, but this doesn't seem to be working yet.

Good luck

Paul

Archived